UKBouldering.com

Old Troll Advert with pic Neil Carson on 'All Out' at Kilnsey (Read 3756 times)

Kingy

• forum hero
Bit of a long shot but anybody seen this pic showing Neil on the crux of All Out. Apparently it exists but to confuse matters, there are two adverts with different pictures of him on this route, one showing him on the crux of 50 for 5 (which I have seen and is quite common) and another with him on All Out (the extension) - this is the one I'm interested in. I understand it shows him using an undercut on All Out (which has now parted company from the crag) and I'm keen to see where this hold used to be.

Thanks in advance!

Duma

• forum hero
I don't have a copy anymore, but can confirm it's existence as I used to have it on my wall at uni. Sadly my complete unfamiliarity with Kilnsey means I can't help with hold position.

Kingy

• forum hero
Thanks, at least we know its out there somewhere. Hopefully somebody can post it up.

galpinos

• forum hero
Bit of a long shot but anybody seen this pic showing Neil on the crux of All Out. Apparently it exists but to confuse matters, there are two adverts with different pictures of him on this route, one showing him on the crux of 50 for 5 (which I have seen and is quite common) and another with him on All Out (the extension) - this is the one I'm interested in. I understand it shows him using an undercut on All Out (which has now parted company from the crag) and I'm keen to see where this hold used to be.

Thanks in advance!

Any idea when this advert wa sin the mags? I have quite a few old copies of OTE that I could look through but I'd need a "time period" as otherwise it'd take forever (and I'd get lost in a world of climbing nostalgia and end up spending all night in the attic reading old articles)

SamT

• forum hero
As a slight aside, is there a National Climbing Library, run by BMC or some such??

The British Caving Association have set up the British Caving Library and have amassed a huge amount of material that is slowly being cataloged and archived. (Open access in Gluten Bridge).

I'd have thought there'd be a reasonable call for something similar for the climbing world.
e.g. - a full copy of every OTE/Crags/High/Mountain magazines, every guidebook to the UK ever published, copies of club journals, newsletters, books, essays, etc etc etc.

Just a thought.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
The Alpine Club Library is the closest thing I think.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
As a slight aside, is there a National Climbing Library, run by BMC or some such??

The British Caving Association have set up the British Caving Library and have amassed a huge amount of material that is slowly being cataloged and archived. (Open access in Gluten Bridge).

I'd have thought there'd be a reasonable call for something similar for the climbing world.
e.g. - a full copy of every OTE/Crags/High/Mountain magazines, every guidebook to the UK ever published, copies of club journals, newsletters, books, essays, etc etc etc.

Just a thought.

There's this guy: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/a_climbing_bibliomaniac_meeting_dave-8298

Kingy

• forum hero
Quote from: galpinos link=topic
Any idea when this advert was in the mags?

The ad I have already seen appears on the inside front cover of OTE 67 (May 97). Here is a Google photo link (hope this works):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gWwLSKrYzNaeDHMh8

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
That’s the only version of that ad I ever recall seeing.

Duma

• forum hero
That one is familiar, but I def had the other one, was in colour and he was looking outrageously ripped on the undercut .

Galpinos, I was at uni 96 - 99 so somewhere then? sorry to be so vague.

Kingy

• forum hero
That one is familiar, but I def had the other one, was in colour and he was looking outrageously ripped on the undercut .

Galpinos, I was at uni 96 - 99 so somewhere then? sorry to be so vague.

Great, thanks guys sounds like it exists then. It would be excellent to unearth this pic somehow

Nike Air

• forum abuser
Is this why it's been upgraded Ted?

Kingy

• forum hero
Is this why it's been upgraded Ted?

Yes, I understand that the loss of the undercut on the crux has made this section a fair bit harder than on the FA. More info on this thread https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,30087.msg585438.html#msg585438

Duma

• forum hero
According to doylos old blog, he was interviewed in ote 65

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures

The Mountain Heritage Trust are an obvious candidate: https://www.mountain-heritage.org/

Kingy

• forum hero
According to doylos old blog, he was interviewed in ote 65

Just checked my copy. Nice interview but unfortunately it doesn't have the pic. It's in an old advert apparently

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal