UKBouldering.com

Touching The Void: the stage production (no, seriously) (Read 3036 times)

slab_happy

• forum hero
https://touchingthevoidplay.com/

With a cast of four, a lot of chairs, and a big metal frame-y thing!

I saw it back when it was in Bristol and now it's coming to London, and it's stunning; I can't recommend it too highly.

Given the story, the stage production had to be brilliant or death-by-embarrassment for all concerned, with no possible middle ground, and fortunately they hit "brilliant".

For bonus points, manages to explain things to non-climbers without making climbers in the audience cringe.

tomtom

• forum hero
Excellent - when reading the book I thought it’d make a good play.

Musical next? 😂

slab_happy

• forum hero
Musical next? 😂

There's more than one bit in the stage production that you could call a "musical number", I kid you not.

It's amazing how hard it is to describe without making it sound like the most godawful thing ever, and yet it all WORKS. Reminded me just how thrilling live theatre can be.

kelvin

• forum hero
I saw it in Northampton a while back - much better than I expected. The girlfriend loved it and wasn't at that time interested in climbing at all.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
It should translate well to the stage, though.
I mean the book is essentially a series of monologues, isn’t it?
Almost surprised they needed a fourth.

My eldest played Anne Frank in “Dreams of Anne Frank” and that bordered on a musical at times, despite being about as heavy as is possible to imagine; without becoming incongruous or cheesy.
(For an unwelcome, traumatic, experience; I highly recommend encouraging your offspring to act out the role of concentration camp victim. Beats any horror movie hands down. Many nightmares, guaranteed. 4* would not recommend).

slab_happy

• forum hero
It should translate well to the stage, though.
I mean the book is essentially a series of monologues, isn’t it?

I almost said something stupid like "people standing on stage reciting monologues isn't good theatre" but of course that can be fantastic theatre, as Alan Bennett and others have demonstrated -- it's just not the method of dramatizing the book that this particular version goes for. They go for full-on SHOWING the events.

I love the film of "Touching The Void" as well; that finds one method of dramatizing the story, and the stage production finds something completely different but also wonderful.

slab_happy

• forum hero
OH HEY THEY'RE REVIVING AND LIVE-STREAMING IT!

26th-29th May:

https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/touching-the-void

So so good, cannot rec too highly.

slab_happy

• forum hero
A recorded version is going to be available to rent on-demand from the 2nd-8th June.

I cracked and got a livestream ticket to see it again yesterday evening, and it remains completely fucking outstanding (and they've filmed the stage production superbly).

You don't have to be a "theatre person" to enjoy it; it's visceral and accessible and exhilarating and just so, SO good.

I am now ear-wormed with Boney M, but that's a small price to pay.

ETA: director Tom Morris in Zoom conversation with Joe Simpson prior to the livestream first night:

Joe says musical next.  :lol:

slab_happy

• forum hero
They sent me a discount code to share with friends -- gets you 20% off on-demand tickets, apparently:

TTVFRIEND66

SamT

• forum hero
So - where can I watch the online recording then.. (sorry - time poor and lazy)  :)

slab_happy

• forum hero
https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/touching-the-void

Just click on "Book" to get the on-demand options. Enjoy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal