UKBouldering.com

flickr alternatives (Read 2287 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
flickr alternatives
September 17, 2019, 02:33:41 pm
flickr have withdrawn their free unlimited storage for anything over a trivial 1000 files. This is a bit awkward for me as I have been using them as my main cloud back-up for a decade accumulating about 10000 photos (~1TB? There are some large size slide scans).

The pics are are all also backed-up rather haphazarly on various portable drives and I've been using icloud for iphotography but it would be convenient to have everything in the same place. I'm not sold on flickr's usablity which seemed to get worse with every revision. Main need is for somewhere I can store full res. versions of stuff for posterity or as long as I am interested.

flickr say they will start deleting files unless I give them £4 a month. This seems a little rich. Or is it?

What do the team suggest? 

Durbs

• forum hero
#1 Re: flickr alternatives
September 17, 2019, 05:15:32 pm
If it's just for storage / backup - then dedicated cloud backup might be a better alternative. Something like Backblaze, or possibly even Dropbox might suffice (Though Dropbox shouldn't be used as backup really) and this would also backup anything else you want.

I use SmugMug (who actually acquired Flickr) for sharing photos semi-privately - you can mark albums as public/unlisted/restricted depending how easily you want people to find your photos. You can also sell from it if you're that way inclined.

As with all things free, I don't personally think you can complain when it gets removed with plenty of notice. £4 p/m is pretty cheap for that quantity of storage IMHO (it's cheaper than Backblaze for example) - though no doubt their main motivation is to free up server space. There's a LOT of people using Flickr for free image storage.

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: flickr alternatives
September 17, 2019, 08:52:37 pm
I'd go with something like backblaze for backing up the high quality originals then upload everything to google photos free tier (unlimited photos but they compress the pics) for easy access to the catalog.

Probably worth tracking down somewhere with a chunky internet connection for the initial upload. 1TB will take a long time even on a decent connection.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: flickr alternatives
September 18, 2019, 09:28:07 am
I have moved from Flickr to Amazon Prime photos as my backup. It comes free with Prime membership that I have anyway (£79 per year for free next delivery on lots of stuff, prime TV/movies, Amazon Music, and other benefits many of which i don't use!) and offers unlimited photo storage (movies are limited to 5GB unless you pay extra). Also it should be noted that you can store RAW files (accepted file type list is here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201649930) if this is a requirement and it doesn't compress other file types.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: flickr alternatives
September 18, 2019, 10:08:53 am
I can't see you finding a better deal than £4/month for unlimited storage. I find the flickr backend pretty unusable so might be worth exploring smugmug.

Personally I just rely on hard drives, but also have a Photoshelter account from the days when I was trying to make money from it. It's a great platform but not cheap.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: flickr alternatives
September 30, 2019, 02:10:27 pm
Thanks everyone, as JB suggests £4/month is looking better than at first sight. Unless anyone else has a suggestion?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal