UKBouldering.com

Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions? (Read 4062 times)

crzylgs

• stalker
Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 01:45:29 pm
In a couple weeks i'm heading to Keswick for a week tagging along with a family holiday, but am going to take a pad and hopefully get a session or two in. I've ordered the new edition of The Lakesbloc guidebook but have zero knowledge of the area.

Would love a few tips for any crags I should check out, ideally with good stuff up to and around 7a (I've recently started sending 7a including 'The Bulge' and 'Pop for the Top LH' at Biblins, 'Simple Simon Indirect' at Churnet outdoors again after a 3+year illness) and nothing too highball/sketchy as I'll likely be solo and only with a pad or two.

Thanks for any input, hope this was the correct forum to post in :)

Cheers!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 02:45:13 pm
Carrock. If it’s sunny late afternoon as out of the sun.

crzylgs

• stalker
#2 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 03:30:41 pm
Carrock. If it’s sunny late afternoon as out of the sun.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion :)

I've had a quick look at the UKC page and it looks well worth a visit!

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 04:01:31 pm
It’s hard grading though (I find) if you’re not used to it. Great place and masses of problems in a fairly small area. Just be prepared to drop your grade expectations :)

Bowderstone is close too - but better if operating in the 7’s and upwards..

crzylgs

• stalker
#4 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 04:31:25 pm
It’s hard grading though (I find) if you’re not used to it. Great place and masses of problems in a fairly small area. Just be prepared to drop your grade expectations :)

Bowderstone is close too - but better if operating in the 7’s and upwards..

I've been very used to dropping my grade expectations over the last ~18 months! Surprised myself sending those 3x 7a last week, but it looks to have a good range of problems.

Bowderstone, I might have to add to my list simply due to how iconic it looks even if things there are likely to turn in to projects not little 'tourist' sends :D

tc

• junky
#5 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 05:48:05 pm
 I'll be back in the Lakes for a few weeks from 28 September. Gimme a shout if you are heading to Carrock and if I'm around I'll give you a quick tour.

crzylgs

• stalker
#6 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 17, 2019, 08:03:52 pm
I'll be back in the Lakes for a few weeks from 28 September. Gimme a shout if you are heading to Carrock and if I'm around I'll give you a quick tour.

Will do. I'm there from 28th until 5th but no idea which days I'll get to boulder on.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 18, 2019, 08:32:29 am
Gillercombe if it's too warm for the great-but-very-frictional Carrock. Lovely spot and a nice circuit.

SamT

• forum hero
#8 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 18, 2019, 09:05:48 am
St Bees is def worth a trip out from there, Its a bit of a drive, Google says 50 mins,  but for me, its the best bouldering in the region.  (And I do like the sea side!).

crzylgs

• stalker
#9 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 18, 2019, 12:04:13 pm
Thanks again to everyone who has suggested places. I'll add Gillercombe and St Bees to my potential list.

Much to my surprise the guidebook arrive this morning (I'd opted for free delivery estimated to arrive on Monday - got to love/hate Amazon!) and I'm sure you all know this but it really is a superb guide. High quality pictures, not just of the individual boulders but also of hillsides as viewed from approaches! Good descriptions. GPS for car parks. Grid references for the areas. OS map snippets of the areas. Separate grade and alphabetical problem Index. Really does set a new high in terms of bouldering guide quality!

I'm sure it's not just me but there is something about having a physical copy of a guidebook for a new area in your hands... Gets the psych going! :D

crzylgs

• stalker
#10 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 29, 2019, 05:24:39 pm
Arrived in the Lakes yesterday, has been rather wet today but that fitted in with having a family coffee morning. Chance of a bit more rain over-night but not a lot, so I think I'll head to Carrock Fell tomorrow. It's close, meant to be fast drying and so much good stuff there am sure I'll find something decent at my level :)

More rain due Tues morning, so I might rest/scout on Tues as Weds looks like the best day and Thurs should also be decent!

If anyone is in the area and would be up for meeting let me know  :2thumbsup:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#11 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 29, 2019, 05:37:54 pm
Have you considered the Bowderstone if wet?
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2282

crzylgs

• stalker
#12 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 29, 2019, 05:51:45 pm
Have you considered the Bowderstone if wet?
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2282

Yes definitely and I know how iconic it is + how much good quality stuff its got on it!

I was saving that for if a day when I really want to try hard and it turns out more damp than forecast. I perform much better if I alternate climb:rest days, rather than two days on. So Mon-Weds-Fri is (luckily) looking decent weather. I'm in Keswick and Carrock + Bowderstone are all really close so I can easily change location and/or move between them :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 29, 2019, 05:59:38 pm
Go to Castlerigg Stone circle for sunset. It’s a cool place... (if it’s not cloudy obvs :) )

crzylgs

• stalker
#14 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 29, 2019, 10:04:27 pm
Go to Castlerigg Stone circle for sunset. It’s a cool place... (if it’s not cloudy obvs :) )

Funny you mention that, we did a little 4-5 mile circular walk from the cottage and back to there this afternoon! Sadly, wasn't very sunny but was a nice way to spend the afternoon :)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#15 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 30, 2019, 10:02:29 am
I've been up to Castelrigg early a couple of times and had stunning cloud inversions. I presume this doesn't happen every day but it's a proper treat - https://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/17145968645/in/dateposted-public/

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 30, 2019, 10:13:33 am
 :o

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#17 Re: Heading to Keswick, crag suggestions?
September 30, 2019, 01:26:53 pm
Nice!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal