UKBouldering.com

Boreal (Read 11737 times)

petejh

• forum hero
#50 Re: Boreal
September 04, 2019, 08:44:23 pm
They need some attention-craving blowhards!

Don’t they sponsor Pasquill too? Top tip - only sponsor people who know what the internet is.

I have no idea.

Stealth rubber marketing.

Doylo

• forum hero
#51 Re: Boreal
September 04, 2019, 08:47:57 pm
They need some attention-craving blowhards!

Don’t they sponsor Pasquill too? Top tip - only sponsor people who know what the internet is.

I have no idea.

Therein lies the problem.

webbo

• forum hero
#52 Re: Boreal
September 04, 2019, 08:53:29 pm
Does sponsoring folk who can climb 8c in a pair of clogs if they were pushed actually sell more shoes.
Shirley if you sponsored the likes of TomTom and Fiend and they were seen to improve and be able to climb 7c+ and E6 :o This in most people’s minds would seem worth buying into.

tomtom

• forum hero
#53 Re: Boreal
September 04, 2019, 09:09:29 pm
Does sponsoring folk who can climb 8c in a pair of clogs if they were pushed actually sell more shoes.
Shirley if you sponsored the likes of TomTom and Fiend and they were seen to improve and be able to climb 7c+ and E6 :o This in most people’s minds would seem worth buying into.

Good idea :D Happy to recieve free boots and instagram the fucking life out of them ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#54 Re: Boreal
September 05, 2019, 08:47:53 am

Yes. If they promote themselves appropriately. I'm sure Ondra wearing Miuras on his hard ascents did no end of good in the minds of the general climbing public.

galpinos

• forum hero
#55 Re: Boreal
September 05, 2019, 08:58:23 am
I guess this is partly due to the fact that you know them so well? How do you know some of the other makers aren't the same?

They may well be. Tbh, I'm a bit of a softy, it always makes me feel uncomfortable when folk get slagged off, but especially when I believe it's unfair....

I don't think anyone is slagging the Boreal team off*, more articulating why people left Boreal (the rubber) and why they never went back (brand loyalty, creatures of habit, shoes are expensive so a reluctance to change from something that is working).

I had a look at the Boreal stand at Outdoor and, though the sales guy was great, nothing jumped out at me as wow, I might try that. It was also pretty quiet compared to the buzz at the Scarpa/La Sportiva stand.

* apart from the fact I did say their shoes, imho, are pretty ugly.

sdm

• forum abuser
#56 Re: Boreal
September 05, 2019, 10:32:51 am
I won a pair of Boreals and went with the Mutants as they were the only model stocked that fit my wide feet ok.

I hoped they would become my go to shoe for edging on UK lime. But I found they have a tendency to roll off small edges, especially when rocking over the foot. They have less sensitivity (especially in the midfoot) than my Instincts and I have less confidence in them on edges.

The heel is ok but can't compare to the Instinct VS for me (to be fair, nor does any other heel, including Scarpa's various attempts to improve on it).

The friction skin didn't work, it tore on the second toe hook I ever attempted and the rubber then slowly peeled off and there is now next to no rubber on the top of that shoe. When you toe hook on a sharp hold, the rubber is too thin to offer much protection from pain.

So ultimately they were relegated to warmup/training shoes. When trying something at my limit, I found I was always reaching for one of my other pairs of shoes.

I have also tried the Satori (previous model) at a demo. I found the Satori heel to be not as good as the Instinct on most hooks but was fantastic on an occasional hook where the spike really worked.

I'll give Boreals another chance the next time there is a shoe demo at the wall but quite a lot would have to change for them to overtake one of my pairs of Scarpas.

Bradders

• forum hero
#57 Re: Boreal
September 05, 2019, 07:31:34 pm
* apart from the fact I did say their shoes, imho, are pretty ugly.

Not sure it's really fair to say Boreal shoes are ugly when this kind of atrocity is being committed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2CKFIZjvbd/?igshid=huqt676gjavh

webbo

• forum hero
#58 Re: Boreal
September 05, 2019, 08:31:08 pm
Yes that top doesn’t go with those shoes at all. What on earth was he thinking.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal