UKBouldering.com

North York moors, Bridestones conditions at the mo (Read 1865 times)

Ruarl

I'll be driving over to Whitby from Manchester tomorrow. Might Bridestones be in condition? Anywhere else around there in the chump grades likely to be dry? Obviously it's been raining a lot. I'm after the local's secret knowledge!

Steve R

• forum abuser
If it's been raining a lot, the Bridestones are likely to be sandy/scrittly and potentially damp and friable too.  They're a soft, porous sandstone.  Nice spot but the climbing's samey and (like the rock) not that great.  You're prob already aware but sandstone and softer rock generally is best left alone if damp as it can be significantly weaker.  Don't really have any secret knowledge but I'd recommend the Wainstones - the sandstone's harder, it's exposed and fast drying and there's quite a bit to go at - a few good quality easier problems there.  If you're really desperate and it's raining/wet, I think ravenswick quarry (limestone) has some weatherproof bits but be sure to head there with very low expectations.

webbo

• forum hero
It rained heavily around lunchtime today although it’s been very windy as well. So as Steve says the Wainstones might be your best option although it’s a bit out of your way.
Just looked at the forecast for tomorrow and it’s saying  there’s a lot of showers around. Ravenswick looks like your best bet or stopping off at a wall on your way.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:17:11 pm by webbo »

tomtom

• forum hero
Or.... if you're coming from Manc stop at Church Crag for an hour or two... means a slight diversion to the M62/A1 turnoff rather than going up past leeds but probably only adds 10 min to the journey.

Ruarl

Thanks all for the advice!

Franco

• menacing presence
With the breeze and low humidty atm, even seepy crags are bone dry after the heavy showers. I've been climbing at Maidens Bluff the last couple of days, which can suffer from seepage, and it's been great conditions. Despite the heavy showers, they don't actually seem to have released that much water (particularly on the coast).

As Steve says, the Bridestones is particularly soft, so care should be taken, but it is also mega exposed, so will probably be alright this evening. Try and honestly assess it when you arrive though.

Looking at the forecast for today, Wainstones will almost certainly be dry this evening. NOS boulder could be nice too, or Kay Nest if you don't mind a walk.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal