UKBouldering.com

O' Connor Climbs 9a (Read 10286 times)

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 06, 2004, 10:20:37 pm
Si has been at it again, a new 'futuristic' 9a, with a font 8b start

http://www.8a.nu/site2/index.php?country=GBR

One question if its only 9a how can it be futuristic. Si i am planning on going to scotland in the next few weeks to visit family. How about you show me around the hard boulders you have done and also the 9a route, i would like to have a go.

let me know when you are free to climb

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#1 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 06, 2004, 10:25:41 pm
it's down as a project so maybe he hasn't climbed it yet?

dave

#2 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 06, 2004, 10:25:41 pm
if this is like what Si's done on 8a.nu in the past, its still a project, i.e. not actually done. If this is true IT SHOULDN'T BE ON 8A.NU. :roll:  :deal:

if si has just done a 9a, effort. i await the description with baited breath.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 09:35:40 am
For just a moment I thought this was going to be about Font 9a.... :o

Greg C

• forum hero
#4 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 12:37:45 pm
There's a new 8b n'all get yourself on that Rich...

2004-10-01  Trace Element [of L] Port Nis  V13

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#5 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 01:18:40 pm
Did i have one to many colas last nite and start hullucinating, because i woke up this morning super eekn to find out more about this new 9a, logged on to Si's scorecard and there was only an 8a+ their.

Whats going on Si, is their a new 9a or not.

I am coming up in two weeks time, so want to know more about it.

Si O'Conor

• player
    • http://www.se7en-x.com/oops/
#6 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 01:40:45 pm

dave

#7 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 01:56:41 pm
Quote from: "Si O'Conor"
Yeah your right Dave. Ive taken it off. We dont want a repeat of the Extradition scenario, where 8a reported it before it was done,  

what, someone from 8a.nu got wind you had a project called extradition and put it on your scorecard!??! :shock:  thats scandalous - i'd be having serious words if i were you.

Si O'Conor

• player
#8 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:02:28 pm

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#9 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:20:55 pm
Quote from: "Si O'Conor"
no biggie in the end.

word. RIP Notorious B.I.G. he's sorely missed. Tupac as well.

:wink:

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#10 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:22:29 pm
Si, why on earth would you put something on your scorecard that you havent done, If i put on my socrecard any route that i had attempted but not done i would be the best climber in the world.

Your making a mockery of the whole british climbing scene, fair enuff you come on here and say you was messing about or whatevr reason you said. But the thousands of foreign climbers who read 8a.nu and dont read this site are goiing to think you have done a new 9a.
Im personally fed up of having to explain your percualiar scorecard anitcs to mayn of my foreign climbing partners. Your beginning to take the piss not only out of yourself but out of every other hard working honest climber in britain.

I suggest you think about what you keep doing on that mockery of a scorecard that you have. If you dont change your ways then take up another sport like Golf.

dave

#11 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:27:52 pm
i agree with clark kent on this one - if i put everything on 8a.nu that i was "near to doing the last moves" on i'd have double the number of problems on there.

Nigel

• forum hero
#12 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:28:10 pm
Fair play Rich that's what you think and probably many others besides, but the guy is offering to show you about while you're up there. Do the decent thing and take him up on the offer! Put this issue to bed PLEASE and try his problems, climb with the man!  :idea:

Si O'Conor

• player
#13 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:28:18 pm

dave

#14 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:34:51 pm
si, 8a.nu is a website for registering problems you've done. putting "project" is not a get-out clause, it simply read as you've had a project which you've now done (presumably unnamed) and thats why its on the site. Only an idiot would put a unclimbed project on 8a.nu right?  I'll just reiterate, 8a.nu is for stuff you've done. hence the phrase"The key to this system is a unique Scorecard where you can keep track of all the routes/boulders you have done."

:roll: And you wonder why people think you're a bullshitter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:02:31 pm by dave »

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#15 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:35:08 pm
Si many people have the word project written on their scorecard but in most cases it actually means they completeed a project at an area or something like that, not that they have tryed the project.

Come on Si is it to hard to understand the basic rules of 8a.nu, you climb a piece of rock in one go from the bottom to top and you can put it on your scorecard, if you dont climb the piece of rock, only tryed it, it wouldnt really be a good idea to put it on your scorecard would it.

Otherwise you would have Joe nobody go and attempt the hardest things in the world fail completely and still put them on his scorecard, hence their wouldnt be much logic to the site. Other than the people with the most free time, longest stick clip and most money would be top of the rankings.

I am still interested in meeting up though to attempt some of your things. And even if the route is a closed project i would like to try the moves etc.

Si O'Conor

• player
#16 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:44:19 pm

dave

#17 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:49:23 pm
reminds me of the phrase "the boy who cried wolf".

Si O'Conor

• player
#18 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 02:56:56 pm

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#19 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 07, 2004, 03:03:51 pm
not being anywhere good enough to have an 8a.nu scorecard I'm relatively new to all this ting, and the accompanying drama.

Can Si / anyone else explain/correct?

You put problems/routes onto your scorecard that you've done, including the 'method'. Therfore, all climbers get ranked in a C4 bank holiday special style based on what they've done.

Why would you put something on that you haven't done?

Am I right that, if you do this, by definition it's not been done and therefore you shouldn't get the 'points' for it?

I'm confused about all the '2nd try' '3rd go' notes as well, but i guess if it ain't onsight then there's a difference between icing something 2nd go and grinding it into submission with 100 goes (not that I ever do that...flamin' banana finger direct!)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#20 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 09, 2004, 08:08:02 am
(not that I ever do that...flamin' banana finger direct!)

when you do that tommy you can go on 8a.nu n claim it as a highball :roll:

to be fairly honest about 8a.nu it's a good concept but ... it's turned out to be a laughing stock. when you get someone on the scorecard who claims known probs n puts them in at a higher grade when everyone else within 100 miles knows this is nonsense then how can you take the other problems they've claimed seriously.
this is in no way a reflection on bjorn or the other guys that do the thankless task of puttin the site together but a lot of the scorecards on there just cannot be taken seriously by anyone with four limbs.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#21 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 09, 2004, 09:58:04 pm

i believe this is there area where the 9a project resides.

seen the photos of it on 8a.nu and the words 'walk' and 'park' spring to mind. :lol: :wink:

and i'm sure the words 'shut' and 'fuck-up' spring to everyone who reads that mind.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#22 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 10, 2004, 01:03:49 am
more http://www.8a.nu/site2/index.php?country=GBR

Congratulations Si on being No 2 in the world :drink:

T Nagler

• player
#23 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 10, 2004, 01:53:55 am
Si, its not only the fact that putting un-completed projects on your scorecard causes confusion as to whether or not you have done it. The other (equally big) issue is that: if you do this it boosts your score up so it looks like you are trying to make yourself look better than you are.

If you want to use 8a.nu as a log book for your projects too couldn't you not specify a grade or give it like 3- and in the comments put "9a project" or something? So that it dosn't contribute to your points total.

Si O'Conor

• player
#24 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 29, 2004, 08:19:56 pm
All posts, Edited & removed

http://www.se7en-x.com/oops/

account_inactive

• forum hero
#25 O' Connor Climbs 9a
October 30, 2004, 12:42:10 am
Bump?