UKBouldering.com

Torridon and beyond (Read 6319 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#25 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 07, 2023, 10:01:28 pm
For context, I've never been to Scotland and don't know much about the climbing there

Be aware you have to drive through a lot of spectacular scenery before you get anywhere near Torridon. I'd suggest trying to make it a bit of a roadtrip and don't be surprised if you don't make it all the way!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 07, 2023, 10:16:39 pm
I've not done much in Scotland but depending on the grade you're hoping to climb I think Glen Croe is a perfect "stop off" spot. Short walk ins to a fair few things right off the main road, and the harder lines (7C and up) are absolutely stunning.

I was thinking about stop offs, and depends on route; quickest is A9, but not much bouldering directly on the way, although you could do a small detour to Dumby, or go right past Wolfcraig (not recommended though!) and  maybe the new stuff near Dunkeld or Laggan.

As soon as you go off main road and head to to Glen Croe, Glen Ogle, Glen Nevis or any of the Strathspey stuff it will eat into travelling time. Although you could go up one way and back the other, depending on motivation and weather.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#27 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 08:04:08 am

Trying to figure out whether it’s worth going to Skye as well, but might end up complicating things.

I wouldn't especially recommend Skye with an 8 year old, you can see the sights but the best activities there are not very kid friendly.

T_B

• forum hero
#28 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 08:25:13 am
I dunno. We wild camped on Skye next to the beach with our kids. One of the most memorable things we’ve done. Can’t imagine they’d be up for it now they’re a bit older (no WiFi).

To the more recent poster, I enjoyed the problems at the Kishorn boulders more than Celtic Jumble. It’s not as nice a setting as Torridon but it’s a 5 min flat walk in (assuming you can spot the boulders from the road - tricky), the rock is as good as Font and the landings are perfect.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#29 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 08:41:13 am
If you want a 'get away from it all' venue, then there is a group of 7 boulders beyond the end of the reservoir in Coire nan Arr (see the Richie Betts photo at the bottom of page 266 of Boulder Scotland). It's a flat 30-45 minute walk-in. The rock isn't as tough as the Celtic Jumble, so go in there when it's been dry. Really nice features, and a fun, chilled-out pottering about venue. Spectacular location directly opposite the Nose of Sgurr a Caorachain.

We walked up that way to do The Nose, and that Coire has a load of great looking boulders, I seem to recall there is more beyond those described.

jshaw

• addict
#30 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 09:50:47 am
Amazing! Thanks everyone for the information.

Re driving route and stop offs: I am keen to have a bit of an explore. If there's somewhere cool on the way or with good climbing (probably only bouldering this time) then I wouldn't mind added faff or driving time.

Kishorn is on the list.

What's the climbing like around Glen Croe? Any bouldering you'd recommend?

Crossing my fingers that the weather looks ok nearer the time.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#31 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 10:03:57 am

Trying to figure out whether it’s worth going to Skye as well, but might end up complicating things.

I wouldn't especially recommend Skye with an 8 year old, you can see the sights but the best activities there are not very kid friendly.

We did a day in Skye last August (we were staying near Mallaig) and both kids (then 7 and 11) managed the walk / scramble to the Coire Lagan lochan fine. Most of the adults we saw turned back!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#32 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 10:40:58 am
I'd personally leave Skye and around for a separate trip. I'm really keen to do the Dubhs Ridge with kid/s sometime soon.

https://rockrun.com/blogs/the-flash-rock-run-blog/the-dubh-ridge-skye-cuillin-destination-article

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 01:30:11 pm
We did a day in Skye last August (we were staying near Mallaig) and both kids (then 7 and 11) managed the walk / scramble to the Coire Lagan lochan fine. Most of the adults we saw turned back!

I don't remember a scramble, but nowadays getting the car past the Fairy pools is the definite crux.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#34 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 01:52:07 pm
I think I took a slightly freestyle approach to routefinding (esp on the descent) which involves various bits that seemed a lot steeper than when I’d prev been there about 25 years before. The kids thought it was fun, but the assembled group of stout-legged retirees with carabiners dutifully attached to their rucksacks were watching with increasingly evident dread in their eyes, only barely masked by the photochromic lenses in their steel-rimmed spectacles.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#35 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 05:58:50 pm

Oops I only just noticed that the Skye mention was from the original post in 2019, sorry.

I guess I meant that it's not as kid-friendly from a bouldering perspective as somewhere like Torridon. I once guided an 8 year-old (with her dad) up Sron na Ciche, she was absolutely brilliant but finally broke a little bit on the walk down.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#36 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 06:07:23 pm

I don't remember a scramble, but nowadays getting the car past the Fairy pools is the definite crux.

There is a tiny bit of mild scrambling to get to the lochan in Coire Lagan by the easiest line.

The Fairy Pools situation has improved slightly since they massively expanded the car park last year, though it's still a shitshow.

TCE

#37 Re: Torridon and beyond
March 08, 2023, 09:34:14 pm
If you want a 'get away from it all' venue, then there is a group of 7 boulders beyond the end of the reservoir in Coire nan Arr (see the Richie Betts photo at the bottom of page 266 of Boulder Scotland). It's a flat 30-45 minute walk-in. The rock isn't as tough as the Celtic Jumble, so go in there when it's been dry. Really nice features, and a fun, chilled-out pottering about venue. Spectacular location directly opposite the Nose of Sgurr a Caorachain.

We walked up that way to do The Nose, and that Coire has a load of great looking boulders, I seem to recall there is more beyond those described.

The cluster of seven boulders I mentioned is the pick of the bunch. There are a few boulders spaced at regular intervals past The Universal along the left side of the coire. They're OK, but not very big. Decent landings, rock is pretty good, pretty interesting features, but that side of the coire doesn't get a lot of sun. Last of those boulders is at the end of the reservoir, then its about 5-10 mins walk to the boulder cluster, which is a bit more over to the sunny side of the coire. If going direct to the boulder cluster go in along the right side of the reservoir. There are more boulders up the back of the coire over to the left but they are not particularly great and are pretty sandy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal