places to visit > uk and eire

Torridon and beyond

(1/8) > >>

Yossarian:
Thinking about taking the 8-year-old up to Torridon later in the month - it’s there or north wales depending on the weather.

Any advice about must do things for keen kids - boulders / walks / scrambles / low grade routes suitable for me to solo her to follow / cake vendors / revolutionary uprisings, etc. Also, any other venues that we could stop off on way there / back that might be kid friendly...?

Applecross perhaps?

Trying to figure out whether it’s worth going to Skye as well, but might end up complicating things.

JamieG:
We did a really lovely walk into the back of Beinn Eighe. You start at the main carpark (on the a896) and walk around the west edge of the mountain into the corrie that faces north, with a little loch in it. Stunning scenery. A decent (ish) path and not too much up hill, but still a good distance walk.

We saw a golden eagle attacking a deer fawn. Incredibly dramatic. Obviously I can't guarantee that, but the walk was nice.  :)

bolehillbilly:
Gairloch was a good base for us. Decent cafe(going back a bit now), great beach at Big Sand, not far from Loch Tollaidh which has a few easy access lower grade routes.

This was a decent though short walk with a fine scenery and plane wreck interest.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Fairylochs.shtml

Easy access into Torridon itself.

My kids were a bit younger than 8, we had a great time.

Coops_13:
The Horns of Alligin are good fun and can be combined with the neighbouring peak for two munros:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Beinnalligin.shtml

teestub:
Main thing about NW highlands is that driving anywhere can take a long time on slow roads that may not necessarily go in totally the right direction to start with due to the mountains and lochs. As such I’d personally recommend choosing one area to base yourself rather than spending a lot of time driving.

If you get a good forecast the Torridon area is absolutely outstanding. Of the three main mountains Ben Aligin probably offers the most suitable round walk with some dramatic looking but very easy scrambling over the Horns.

The bouldering at Torridon is excellent although not super extensive, plenty to keep you going for several days. There are also some other outlying areas on the Bealach and Applecross which I’ve not checked out.

Applecross itself is beautiful and can be accessed over the Bealach which is the highest public road in the country so fairly interesting in its own right. Applecross inn does amazing seafood and the Torridon Inn is also pretty decent.

Skye could be another complete option, basing yourself near the  Cuillins there’d be a tonne of mountain climbing/scrambling/easy route options. There’s some bouldering there probably best described as 2* bouldering in a 5* location. Loads to do around the coast too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version