UKBouldering.com

Gandalf’s Crag or other stuff near Stroud? (Read 3986 times)

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Gandalf’s Crag or other stuff near Stroud?
August 06, 2019, 11:14:32 pm
Am staying between Stroud and Cirencester (in a village called France Lynch) next week on holiday with the kids and wondering if there is anywhere nearby I can nip out bouldering for a couple of hours?

Gandalf’s Crag sounds like it might be worth a visit.  Anyone got a Topo?

Other suggestions welcome. Needs to be close by.  Not been before, but thinking maybe Winterborne for some highballing despite being further afield.

Or is there a board share in the vicinity?

Cheers, Luke.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
There's the mighty Haresfield Beacon?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10430

It's not great, but it's close! Nice place for a picnic, but climbing is a not too exciting. The traverse below the tree to the right of the "main" crag is quite good fun.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Cheers.  I can’t say I’m massively inspired for Haresfield Beascon from the info on UKC, although as you say it does have the virtue of being nearby.

If I venture further afield to the Forest of Dean, which of the crags in the old Crocker guide would be best for combining a big of bouldering/soloing with some family bimbling around with the kids (2, 4 & 6 yrs old) and my (non-climbing) wife?

Also, would Castle Rock be any good for this kind of thing?

ben

• obsessive maniac
Biblins would be a good call altho I guess it's an hour away and not ideal with kidz

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Hmm, yeah it either needs to be close (ideally within say 30 mins drive) so I can nip out for a couple of hours quick hit without wiping out the whole day, or pleasant enough that I can take the kids with me masquerading as a family day out.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
If I venture further afield to the Forest of Dean, which of the crags in the old Crocker guide would be best for combining a big of bouldering/soloing with some family bimbling around with the kids (2, 4 & 6 yrs old) and my (non-climbing) wife?
None of them?? I don't know much about the modern bouldering apart from Huntsham boulders now being tucked away in young trees, but the whole area is woody or brackeny and very esoteric even by my lowly standards. If the family are happy being perched on a leaf-mulch slope where you rain bits of moss and pebbly ex-handholds on their heads then go for it.

Winterbourne/Frome Valley is more feasible given it has a guide in the modern idiom, actual paths and actual landings. It is still very esoteric climbing but is considerably more civilised overall.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Could you do a family day trip to Bath, leave them to wander while you nip to Sally in the Woods?

Haresfield Beacon is on the edge of a lovely field / beauty spot, but the climbing is a bit log. That Gandalf's Crag looks better, but never been there or heard anything about it..

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Also, would Castle Rock be any good for this kind of thing?

Castle Rock's shit. It's a top-roping venue basically.

This thread's got some Gloucestershire knowledge, including a write-up of my one and only visit to Castle Rock.

andy popp

• forum hero
None of them??

In my limited experience (four different crags) that would be my verdict too. I've had a couple of very enjoyable days at Huntsham but it doesn't provide what you're looking for.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Cheers all - very useful and much appreciated.

Winterborne sounds like it might be an option.  Or I might resign myself to some pull-ups off doorframes.

Still hoping for a Gandalf’s crag topo if one exists ...

ben

• obsessive maniac
if you're driving 45mins to winterbourne you could just drive an hour to Biblins  ;)  Having said that I've spent a fair bit of time at winterbourne in the past and you could definitely entertain yourself for an afternoon. It also has the advantage that if the weather's mixed you could goto TCA or Bloc

SA Chris

• forum hero
Or just let the family loose on the entertainment of Bristol or Gloucester and just go to the wall....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal