UKBouldering.com

Boulder, Colorado? (Read 3142 times)

andyh

• stalker
Boulder, Colorado?
August 05, 2019, 09:20:32 pm
I'm going to be in Boulder for work for a couple of days in late August, and have extended it to have and extra 3 and 1/2 days climbing.

I could do with some advice on how to spend the time. I'm coming back from an operation, so thinking of some easy soloing on the Flatirons and getting loads of problems up to V4, rather than sessioning anything.

So
- Flatirons
- Flagstaff
- Boulder Canyon?
- Do a 14 thousander?
- Go somewhere else?

Thanks!!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 05, 2019, 09:29:08 pm
When I went a few years back I drove up to Fort Collins and spent a day around horsetooth reservoir. Classic JOHN Gill territory. Was about 60-90 min drive away.

owensum

• player
#2 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 05, 2019, 09:42:24 pm
Horsetooth will be really hot at this time of year. Flagstaff is pretty turdy but close to town. I'd recommend maybe checking out Guanella Pass, though its about 90 min drive from Boulder.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#3 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 05, 2019, 09:56:32 pm
As owensum said Front Range crags are a bit hot this time of year, definitely want to get into the Alpine. Any of RMNP, Evans, Lincoln Lake are amazing (but big walk-ins and lower volume of low-grade problems). Could be worth the hike to explore, climb a bit and check out areas for a return when fit?

Guanella is good too and has the advantage of being roadside - loads of good problems up to V4 in the warm-up area: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/108058999/7-mile-boulders

Loads of 14ers for you to go at, just start early and watch out for afternoon storms

andyh

• stalker
#4 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 01:12:29 am
Thanks all!

I'll try to minimise driving as I live in Montreal now and it's an hour + drive to the nearest crag. The halcyon days of 15 minutes ("no 5 minutes, no 30 seconds") to Burbage are long gone.

How not good is Flagstaff?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 07:28:39 am
Did a SW US desert towers jaunt a long time ago. Soloing the 3rd Flatiron (5.4 ~VDiff) and jogging back to Boulder for breakfast was one of the most fun things on the whole trip.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 08:09:16 am
As owensum said Front Range crags are a bit hot this time of year, definitely want to get into the Alpine. Any of RMNP, Evans, Lincoln Lake are amazing (but big walk-ins and lower volume of low-grade problems). Could be worth the hike to explore, climb a bit and check out areas for a return when fit?

Aaarrrgghhh  .....   room 101!! 

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#7 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 09:32:51 am
Thanks all!

I'll try to minimise driving as I live in Montreal now and it's an hour + drive to the nearest crag. The halcyon days of 15 minutes ("no 5 minutes, no 30 seconds") to Burbage are long gone.

How not good is Flagstaff?

Flagstaff is sort of good, Ive spent a couple of summers in boulder and I had a few good sessions there. It's polished, a bit dusty but with some really good problems. It's nowhere near as good as the Rmnp, or sub alpine granite bouldering, but it's 5 minutes from downtown boulder instead of hours! Soloing flatirons is good fun. If you can get a partner go to Eldorado canyon, (morning in summer!) And do a long classic, it's brilliant and very close to boulder.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 04:05:13 pm
Flagstaff Mtn is OK for convenience, rock is a bit scrappy, but a few good probs. They call it gritstone, but it's not.

andyh

• stalker
#9 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 04:46:12 pm
All good knowledge :)

Soloing the 3rd Flatiron (5.4 ~VDiff) and jogging back to Boulder for breakfast was one of the most fun things on the whole trip.

Did you take a rope up to ab off the back or is there a downclimb ?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 05:35:09 pm

Did you take a rope up to ab off the back or is there a downclimb ?

The SW chimney is a short down-climb. 

andyh

• stalker
#11 Re: Boulder, Colorado?
August 06, 2019, 07:53:33 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal