UKBouldering.com

Unacceptable wall behaviours? (Read 47214 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#25 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 11:33:07 am
At our local wall the CrossFit / bodybuilder types are remarkably docile. Their enormous tattoos of Spartan warriors / roaring lions / their (presumably recently deceased) dogs can be slightly off-putting, but apart from actively trying to pull the jugs out of the wall, they pose far less threat than the feral 7-10-year-olds whose parents are supervising them by sitting upstairs with sunglasses on their heads drinking coffee and pontificating on why their Audi Q7 is so uniquely suited to the challenges of driving around Tunbridge Wells.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#26 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 11:38:52 am
The background music at the wall is a tricky one as its impossible to please everyone. The Depot went through a horrendous phase a few months ago of 90's depressed teenager emo rock which was fucking dreadful and resulted in a total psych vacuum for me. I asked them to change it once and felt like a total dick as its clearly a matter of personal taste...it got changed though  :dance1:

Personal music played out loud is a social crime as SamT has articulated far better than me. the worst example I've seen was some bloke on the train playing facebook videos on his phone at full volume, most of which were offensive in some shape or form.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#27 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 11:58:01 am
When the Depot opened in Nottingham it had a playlist that looped every couple of hours like in a shop which was a mixture of middle-of-the-road sort of stuff, mostly inoffensive and upbeat but Adele’s Rolling in the Deep (shudder) was one of the tracks. I was doing a lot of circuit board training at the time and I’d try and time the burns so I’d avoid that as it would put me on a whitey that affected my ability to cling on while pumped.

In a similar vein (massively off topic now) a Turkish kebab place once cranked Coldplay’s Yellow at full volume in protest at us climbing on the crag opposite their shop.  :lol:

I like the music in the Foundry but it’s amazing how often they play Witness the Fitness- I swear I’ve heard it three times in a visit before. Someone should tell Roots Manuva about this- I can picture him doing a video where he’s performing in the café as a bunch of nonplussed Mums & Dads pick their kids up.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#28 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 12:35:35 pm

I like the music in the Foundry but it’s amazing how often they play Witness the Fitness- I swear I’ve heard it three times in a visit before. Someone should tell Roots Manuva about this- I can picture him doing a video where he’s performing in the café as a bunch of nonplussed Mums & Dads pick their kids up.

Swigging that beetroot juice, so our AnCap boost...

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#29 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 01:09:53 pm
Interesting discussion guys, some of the posts feel like they are pasted directly from the other channel though!

I will admit that I am a pretty bad offender for the music thing at my local wall, but in my defense, it is a small university wall which has no sound system, so the choice is either silence and grunting or the Stick It sound track on loop. I even subjected about 10 people (the place was packed) to 90 minutes of deep techno the other day  ;D

At the crag though, no chance, I tend to nap between attempts.

Anyone who has seen my instagram will know I am a shameless advocate of shirtless climbing at the wall  :guilty: A small, lightless, airless ex-squash court quickly turns into the warmest place in the known universe after a second or third person turns up. Having said this, I do tend to get a little self-conscious when people I don't know well are climbing, so will put my shirt back on when this is the case.

Good thread!

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#30 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 01:10:06 pm
I reckon the wonderful thing about climbing is the sense of community and the fact that it is inter generational.  I learnt off my elders because they were friends and they came climbing with us. 

:agree: Totally agree with this, it was exactly the same for me. I was well and truly 'mansplained' and all the better for it. This included positive advice about climbing (technique, equipment, beta etc) but I was also advised what wasn't acceptable (like climbing with dirty boots, not brushing holds, not waiting my turn to climb, not flashing something other guys are struggling with etc etc). Better than grumping about it for sure.  :icon_beerchug:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#31 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 01:57:34 pm
I was also advised what wasn't acceptable (like climbing with dirty boots, not brushing holds, not waiting my turn to climb, not flashing something other guys are struggling with etc etc).
Yes, I also think that it's unacceptable not to flash problems in other people's face! Especially if they are struggling on them!
 ;)
Freudian lapsus, maybe?

seankenny

• forum hero
#32 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 02:35:18 pm
I was also advised what wasn't acceptable (like climbing with dirty boots, not brushing holds, not waiting my turn to climb, not flashing something other guys are struggling with etc etc).
Yes, I also think that it's unacceptable not to flash problems in other people's face!

Next you'll be saying it's unacceptable to do this when the struggler is with his new girlfriend who he's brought along to the wall for the first time?

Durbs

• forum hero
#33 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 02:54:51 pm
Yes, I also think that it's unacceptable not to flash problems in other people's face! Especially if they are struggling on them!
 ;)
Freudian lapsus, maybe?

Was working Joe's arete with some others a while back, and casually mentioned it could be done one-handed. A dude within earshot then proceeds to demonstrate it.
I think he was more embarrassed by his behaviour than we were   ::)

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#34 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 03:08:11 pm
As someone whose internal temperature is higher than average, tops off climbing for me is always down to heat. When I was in London on some of the most badly ventilated walls on the planet, it was tops off for 9 months of the year...

andy_e

• forum hero
#35 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 03:20:54 pm
There's a guy at the Depot who arrives and takes his t-shirt off instantly, no matter what the weather, unless it's really cold!

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 03:29:11 pm
For me the new 'mega wall' set ups (for me things like the Manc Depot) have so much wallspace that if there are a bunch of knobs hanging about in one area - its easy to find another area where you can be grumpy in your own company. Unless some wankers leading a group stretching session under the woody... :D

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#37 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 04:41:10 pm
It's polite to say "Some of those [colour of choice] are quite funky for the grade" after an embarrassing flash. Sufficiently vague for any take away. But the entire acreage of circuit board is mine if I've got a timer running and a serious face on  ::)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#38 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 04:46:06 pm
The tops off ban in gyms used to be a serious problem for me.
Luckily now I rarely leave my board, so it's a non issue, but on the rare occasions in which I do, I always regret it.
I do not sweat much, but I produce a lot of heat: at my home board, with window open and only me training, it's common to raise the temp by one or two degrees. Imagine in a gym with no air con or with bad ventilation. It's a true pain in the a** and it makes for a very unpleasant session for me.
On the other hand, my board, my rules. The fans and air conditioner are on even in winter, and you have to take your top off.
On top of that (you see what I did there?) it is unacceptable to heel hook, to use the handholds for the feet, to skip defined sequences and to pretend you're having fun.
 ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#39 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 04:54:40 pm
Surely there's no matching and no thumbs either?

36chambers

• forum hero
#40 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 05:28:38 pm
Since I started wearing baggy tee shirts (and running shorts) a few years back I now find it more uncomfortable being topless during a sweaty session. The sticky, topless, skin on skin action usually makes me feel far sweatier than the additional layer of a loose tee. 

andy popp

• forum hero
#41 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 05:42:46 pm
it is unacceptable ... to use the handholds for the feet

Some of the best problems on my old board had feet must follow hand rules.

Doylo

• forum hero
#42 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 06:05:30 pm
There's a guy at the Depot who arrives and takes his t-shirt off instantly, no matter what the weather, unless it's really cold!

Turnip?

owensum

• player
#43 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 22, 2019, 08:24:13 pm
<posted in wrong thread>

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#44 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 23, 2019, 08:53:15 am
Surely there's no matching and no thumbs either?
No matching unless specifically stated.
If you refer to the famous "French thumb" in the bolt hole, I don't think that I have any suitable hold for that - disgusting - practice. That would probably see you banned from the board and sent to the kitchen to prepare protein shakes for everyone.

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#45 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 23, 2019, 09:55:53 am
the famous "French thumb" in the bolt hole

Haha. Love this. Never heard it called that before.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#46 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 23, 2019, 10:15:00 am
Along with French thumb, I've spotted people using the hold bolt hole as a mono (not cricket), or even using vacant bolt holes (normally on the slab) as intermediate monos (even more not cricket!)...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#47 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 23, 2019, 10:43:29 am
Along with French thumb, I've spotted people using the hold bolt hole as a mono (not cricket), or even using vacant bolt holes (normally on the slab) as intermediate monos (even more not cricket!)...

Honestly, if anything you do do, whilst climbing, is cricket, you are a little confused.
 Please collect your silly little ball and haul your white trousers out of my wall.

andy_e

• forum hero
#48 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 23, 2019, 11:59:19 am

Turnip?

No, usually he wears a vest for at least a few minutes, before complaining about his balls being sweaty.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#49 Re: Unacceptable wall behaviours?
July 23, 2019, 12:08:25 pm
Was working Joe's arete with some others a while back, and casually mentioned it could be done one-handed. A dude within earshot then proceeds to demonstrate it.

Bit slow but any excuse:

Chapeau.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal