UKBouldering.com

How is Lees Bottom? (Read 18707 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
#25 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 11, 2019, 06:41:24 pm
It was bone dry Tuesday afternoon/early evening if that helps.

Bradders

• forum hero
#26 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 15, 2019, 05:23:16 pm
Anyone been over the weekend? If so, how is it looking?

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 15, 2019, 05:44:30 pm
Dolly went on thurs and it was condensed out. But so was most of Peak lime...
not sure how it’ll be tomorrow - overnight forecast looks a bit humid.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#28 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 15, 2019, 05:50:21 pm
There's ascents logged on Thursday and Friday so apparently it dried up quickly

T_B

• forum hero
#29 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 15, 2019, 05:58:12 pm
It was mingin Thurs evening, but it was condensation and some stuff was still climbable. With wind and low humidity it’d be fine.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#30 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 15, 2019, 08:52:41 pm
Yes I can imagine Thursday during the day was good. Griffs was minging Thursday evening so bailed to tor which was mint with a good breeze.

Don Jebus

• regular
#31 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 26, 2019, 02:42:10 pm
Has anyone ventured up there since the recent down pours?

It was in perfect condition last Saturday (21st Sept), bone dry throughout, but I'm guessing seepage will have gotten to it by now?

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 26, 2019, 02:53:06 pm
Griffs was tacky and no wind at 11. So I went to a mint rubicon instead.

Didn’t bother with LB it’s so sheltered

Don Jebus

• regular
#33 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 26, 2019, 03:18:58 pm
Cheers tomtom, might be worth a look once it's stopped raining and if there's a decent breeze then.

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 26, 2019, 03:32:18 pm
Cheers tomtom, might be worth a look once it's stopped raining and if there's a decent breeze then.

Needs to be a northerly breeze iirc. Blackwell was crap today as it was sheltered from the easterly - which was pleasantly whipping through Rubicon.  Et the Tor was good.

Don Jebus

• regular
#35 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
June 16, 2020, 09:58:19 am
Anyone been up in the last few days? I'm guessing it's gopping due to the humidity, but if anyone know's better would be good to hear.

sdm

• forum abuser
#36 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
June 16, 2020, 11:00:04 am
Most hand holds were climbable yesterday after some brushing. The low feet and some very low hand holds were all wet.

Don Jebus

• regular
#37 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
June 16, 2020, 11:08:46 am
Ah cheers, sounds like it's worth venturing up there still then. Can't wait for this humidity to bugger off!

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
June 16, 2020, 11:09:36 am
I've not been there this year (its sounded too busy) but went quite a bit last year - and it is the most fickle conditions wise of all the limestone craglets I've visited...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#39 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
July 22, 2020, 11:44:52 am
Just saw a pic on insta with the fence in the background. Jesus people, sort it out! That applies to anyone who goes there. Whether you think you've contributed to its  state of repair or not! It's everyones' responsibility to look after the crag and avoid the all too likely access clusterfuck when a bunch if cows wander off into Shacklow Wood.
To spell out the obvious:
Rebuild the wall.
Prop the fence posts back up and straighten the wire.
When I was doing new stuff here in 2018 the new fence post was rock solid. It is now evidently uprooted/broke and half fallen over. plus the wall is in a much worse condition than it was. This is a direct result of climbers.
At some point I will go and do some maintenance. But I've finished climbing here pretty much. Making a dedicated visit to prop up some rocks and wood is not ideal, when loads of people are there on a regular basis anyway and should be doing it as a matter of course.
Can livestock get through the wall/fence? If the answer is anything but a definite 'no' when you leave the crag, then do something about it!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:57:19 pm by Bonjoy »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#40 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
July 22, 2020, 11:54:35 am
I'm not familiar with the crag but is it on open access land/is the landowner aware that people are hopping over the wall? If so, is it worth having a whip round/working day to put a stile in? The fence that everyone hops over to get to M o u g ht0n N abb is suffering and I wonder why the local BMC meeting doesn't organise a more permanent solution that the bit of loincloth that's wrapped round the top strand of barbed wire to stop people's danglers getting snagged.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#41 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
July 22, 2020, 12:55:35 pm
The bulk of the crag is on access land, the bit over the wall isn't. I queried the national park authority about ownership and having a site visit to discuss access and the wall crossing. I didn't get a reply.

A local climber with dry stone walking skills on the peak lime bouldering group has offer to have a look and do something. Which is great. Stealth repairs are a good option in this case I think.
Still, anyone visiting still needs to do their but in the meantime.

Stabbsy

• junky
#42 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
July 22, 2020, 01:01:35 pm
I’ll have a go at it when I’m next back there if no-one has done anything in the meantime - should be in the next week. I was there yesterday - I’d clocked fence was in a state when I arrived and had intended to do something but ran out of time. Wasn’t too bad the previous week, so relatively recent damage (albeit part of a ongoing battle).

I’ll message the UKC crag moderator and see if they’ll add a comment to the UKC page. I’d guess more people will see that?

Bradders

• forum hero
#43 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
July 22, 2020, 01:27:13 pm
Jeez yeah that's deteriorated quite a bit from when I was last there a couple of weeks ago. Will sort it out next time I go if it hasn't been before.

Stabbsy

• junky
#44 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
August 01, 2020, 06:23:12 pm
Not sure who’s done it but the fence/wall repairs are looking good. Just needs us to stay on top of it.

If anyone is trying Goose Grease/Goose Lee, etc., the LH undercut for the move round the lip is very loose. Didn’t try the move as it looks like it could explode off fairly easily. Not sure on best approach - remove it completely as I think there’s another undercut in its place or try to glue it? Anyone with more experience (of gluing or of the problem) care to give a view? My normal approach would be to do without it, but happy to have a go at gluing if I can source some glue.

sdm

• forum abuser
#45 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
August 01, 2020, 11:45:22 pm
I didn't detect any looseness when I did them on Wednesday. So I think it's changed since then.

Yoof

• menacing presence
#46 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
August 02, 2020, 10:53:15 am
The undercut came out on a guy trying it on Friday, he put it back in and then did the problem  ;D It stays in so long as you only pull outwards on it.

Conditions-wise, a bit dank in places, but dryable with a towell/tissues + chalk (+ fan).

cofe

• forum hero
#47 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
August 02, 2020, 09:32:26 pm
It had gone tonight. Bigger hold in its place. I imagine the crag will just resemble a cairn in a couple of years.

Nice work whoever did the wall and fence. Let’s hope people look after it this time.

Don Jebus

• regular
#48 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
September 03, 2020, 05:06:04 pm
Anyone know what conditions are like up there at the moment? Hoping for a session tomorrow afternoon

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#49 Re: How is Lees Bottom?
October 28, 2020, 09:29:51 am
Anyone know if it is dry at the moment? Was very condensed last week- better now?
Thanks. Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal