UKBouldering.com

Climbing tape that doesn't suck? (Read 3100 times)

AlistairB

• addict
Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 12:21:42 am
As per. the title really, does anyone have any recommendations for the best climbing tape? A quick search seemed to suggest that surprisingly this topic hasn't been covered before, at least not recently.

I'm not even sure what brand the current roll in my rucksack is but the final pocket of Powerband quite quickly wore through a whole layer of it today. Whatever it is is also a bit lacking in adhesion, with an unfortunate tendency to shift under load. I know tape will never be as good as skin but for those problems where you have to tape, I'd like to try and get it right.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#1 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 02:52:53 am
DreamTape is my go to, sticks better and tears more nicely than other tape I’ve used but a bit more pricey...

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 05:15:29 am
On the adhesion front the only thing I've found that works reliably is super gluing it on.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#3 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 07:25:33 am
The white zinc oxide stuff is better than the thinner stuff that comes in all different colours imo. Supergluing essential. Put some all around the finger where you are going to tape and the immediately put the tape on, just 1 or 2 layers. Probably best to avoid getting it in cuts/splits and the the like though.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 08:18:11 am
Strappal is pretty good (pricey though, and generally only stocked by physio supplies shops).   

Agree that superglue is a game changer when it comes to secure tape jobs.  If you're a bit squeamish about applying it directly to skin, a few drops where wraps overlap works wonders - tape jobs that last all session.  Best glue I've found is the Loctite Precision liquid - only type I've ever used where the bottle doesn't clog up / harden in the tube soon after first use.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 09:57:23 am
Decathlon stuff has always been pretty sticky...

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 10:32:38 am
My vote: Dream tape (what they sell at the Foundry), + superglue for when it really matters

Madgwick

#7 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 01, 2019, 12:23:45 pm
Dream Tape is good. It might just be me but I honestly think it gets better once it's been in the bag for a while. An old roll always seems to stick more than a newly opened one.

AlistairB

• addict
#8 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 19, 2019, 01:17:00 pm
Thanks all, good knowledge as always. Will get myself some dream tape and some glue and see how I get on.

36chambers

• forum hero
#9 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 19, 2019, 03:27:57 pm
Although I've yet to use it myself, I seen both Keenan Takahashi and Alex Megos recommend using Leukotape.

Keenan also suggests Mueller Pretape as well https://www.sportiva.com/blog/cat/Climbing/post/keenan-takahashi-tips-for-your-tips/

Bradders

• forum hero
#10 Re: Climbing tape that doesn't suck?
July 19, 2019, 03:58:01 pm
I've found the method of superglue application described by Tom Randall in the following vids really helpful. Always comes off easily with warm water.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqDQausHwVe/?igshid=d02gtuyusndl
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqDRAc3HDxL/?igshid=l27wr9qk6pcu

Works just as well for general taping, despite his description being in relation to crack climbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal