UKBouldering.com

Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad (Read 9918 times)

Disturbed_one51

Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 09:16:57 am
Hello everyone.
I have been living in New Zealand for a few years and now its reached the point that I want to get a bouldering mat.  NZ is the sort of lovely place, far from the rest of the civilised world, where there is little choice in mats and it costs a fortune to ship some things.  The mats available here are the Black diamond pads (of which the foam is rubbish!), Elderid (just ok) and Mad rock R3 (the new recycled shredded foam pad).  I have found that i can get a Moon warrior or an Organic Full pad shipped to NZ for less than the price of the mats in NZ. Choices! Unfortunately the larger pads are out of the question as shipping bumps up astronomically.

I loved my old Moon Saturn which had a good 5 years of thrashing and was brilliant. Equally, I have also only heard good things about the Organic pads and the foam.  I was wondering if anyone had any opinons between these two mats or any other options. Has anyone had experience of both? 

Thanks in advance
Mark

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 09:24:55 am
Not owned either - but have fell on both. Both are good, but the Organic is better IMHO... I hear nothing but good things about their pads... Stubbsy even has Organic pads to match his outfits (apparently..) ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 09:35:33 am
You could also look whether these czech places will ship an Ocun (which are awesome) to you, seems quejada picked one up cheap to Italy?

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,23676.0.html

Disturbed_one51

#3 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 09:43:28 am
Cool beans. I haven't heard much about Ocun but i will have a gander. Shipping is normally the killer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 09:51:10 am
I'm another Ocun fan (I got mine having fallen in Nai's several times..)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 09:57:39 am
having fallen in Nai's several times..

because you are not trying hard enough

(introductory offer - FREE coaching advice)

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 10:00:18 am
having fallen in Nai's several times..

because you are not trying hard enough

(introductory offer - FREE coaching advice)

Less of that Mr Starfish - I've got my own Aeropress now don't you know...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 11:00:31 am
cool

you can pay me in cups of coffee

(it's an advanced version of paying me in beans)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#8 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 11:16:15 am
I've got an organic and I reckon quality wise they're streets ahead of all the moon pads. I'd defo buy another one.

Can't really comment on the Ocun but my mate who has one likes it alot.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#9 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 09, 2015, 06:08:38 pm
No opinion on the ocun but I own both a moon and organic, another vote for the organic foam, shame they're hard to come by in the UK.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#10 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 10, 2015, 12:08:50 am
The organic's are great, and definitely go with the full. In fact you should look at ordering two and see if you can reduce the shipping that way.  Or even ask friends/acquaintances if there is interest and see if you can ask josh about a pallet and a bulk discount.  Then you can ge the "big" pads which are so worth it....

Disturbed_one51

#11 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 10, 2015, 08:10:32 am
Cheers for you're advice guys. It sounds like there is a lot of positivity for the organic and ocun pads which is great to hear. It's actually tempting me to take a punt and try something new. If I could buy a few that would be great but then that puts me in the threshold for import duty. The fine line of importing into NZ, where you get charged if the value is over $200.
Thanks

AndyR

• forum hero
#12 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
January 10, 2015, 06:25:26 pm
No opinion on the ocun but I own both a moon and organic, another vote for the organic foam, shame they're hard to come by in the UK.

Ditto - I have both and my large moon is starting to get old quite quickly - I'll be replacing it with the Organic large.

blamo

• addict
#13 Re: Organic full pad vs Moon Warrior pad
February 20, 2015, 01:41:24 am
I have been SUPER happy with my organic pads.  They definitely do a great job and you can pick your pad design which is a total plus!  :punk:

tomtom

• forum hero
Thread resurrection:

I have two organic standard/regular (120 by 90 cm) pads that are at the moment my go to bouldering combo as they both fit ok the boot of the car and can stay there folded with no detriment etc... (I’ve got a big snap air one for high stuff).

But - dolly noticed they were getting a bit soft the other day - and I’m starting to agree with him. I’ll guess they’ve been out 50-100 times in total and to me that’s a bit disappointing... :-/

Anyone else care to comment on the longevity of their organic pads?

abarro81

• forum hero
I've had one since the start on 2016. It went around the world that year inc 3 months in Grampians climbing on it probably 3 times per week, then 4 weeks in Rocklands climbing on it all the time, then someone else used it for 2 weeks in Rocklands, then 2.5 yrs back in the UK climbing on it most days out bouldering (1-3x per week normally? though last summer I didn't boulder so much). I just got a new one to add to our pad stash, and compared to the new one it's a bit soft, but I'd not noticed it being soft until I compared it to a newer one if that makes sense. It's certainly a lot firmer than the other old ones we've got.  Had to do a bit of stitching on a corner but I think that was from lobbing it down gullys. [this is a big one not a normal sized one]

Got a couple of others but the only other one of similar age we gave away (in payment for people getting our pads back to UK when we couldn't) so I couldn't comment on it. The others are ~2 yrs old and doing fine, though I think the smaller pad has lost more of its firmness than the equivalent age/use larger pad if that makes sense?

All of the above should probably be caveated with the fact that I ain't no highballer so mostly fall onto my pads off stuff at tor, blackwell etc rather than stacking it off the top of Careless or similar! Also, as a disclaimer, I get them free so feel free to take my opinions with a pinch of salt!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:24:31 am by abarro81 »

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Hey Tom

I think they can feel like they soften up faster than other pads as they have a layer of open cell on top of the closed cell. Not had any problems bottoming out on mine, and the foam longevity seems great compared to similar smaller pads.

tomtom

• forum hero
Thanks both - felt a bit like I was bottoming out earlier in the week... see how it goes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal