UKBouldering.com

Antoine’s diary (Read 2515 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Antoine’s diary
June 10, 2019, 08:49:11 pm
I wouldn’t normally post links to other sites like this but Antoine Lemenestrel’s diary from the trip when he soloed Revelations deserves to be read.

For those that maybe aren’t so familiar with his career, he has a really special talent. Amazing technician and a total beast. Quite special too is his take on life and climbing; very aesthetic, very heartfelt and intuitive, quite mystical at times.

UKC has a translation of his diary entries here:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/antoine_le_menestrels_diary_soloing_revelations-12001

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Antoine’s diary
June 10, 2019, 10:20:36 pm
Good stuff, cheers.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Antoine’s diary
June 12, 2019, 01:51:19 pm
Quote from: diary
A small sling around the waist allows me to descend into the arms of JB. Once again, our friendship is deepened.

Lol, so french :lets_do_it_wild:

Two weeks without great achievement have passed and I'm already missing it. I need something strong, I need it for my balance. I can't be satisfied with token routes. I always want to push further. It's impossible for me to rest on what I achieved, it's in the past and I devalue it automatically.

This bit's quite interesting.  Presumably he found a way off the hedonic treadmill since he carried on climbing.  Remember seeing him fig'o'4-ing up Chouca about 12 years ago and seemed to be enjoying it still.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Antoine’s diary
June 14, 2019, 08:02:33 am
I wouldn’t normally post links to other sites like this but Antoine Lemenestrel’s diary from the trip when he soloed Revelations deserves to be read.

For those that maybe aren’t so familiar with his career, he has a really special talent. Amazing technician and a total beast. Quite special too is his take on life and climbing; very aesthetic, very heartfelt and intuitive, quite mystical at times.

UKC has a translation of his diary entries here:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/antoine_le_menestrels_diary_soloing_revelations-12001

Proper good this. Thanks

SamT

• forum hero
#4 Re: Antoine’s diary
June 14, 2019, 09:35:28 am
A small sling around the waist allows me to descend into the arms of JB. Once again, our friendship is deepened.

I've always wondered about this, i.e. how did he get down!!.

I assume the rope was already threaded through the belay from the top rope setup, knotted and pulled up so it was just waiting for him at the belay.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Antoine’s diary
June 14, 2019, 09:47:02 am
no top no tick ;)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Antoine’s diary
June 14, 2019, 10:18:50 am
Phil Kelly interviews Antoine for Peak Rock