UKBouldering.com

Raven Tor parking (Read 8326 times)

36chambers

• forum hero
#25 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 11:26:47 am
Very interesting how busy the Tor was on that weeknight, having somewhat of a late bloom. Can't believe how many people must be there with all those cars, the other bits of lay-by being chocker. Unexpected consequence of the proliferation of indoor walls? Stanage quiet, Tor stacked to the rafters.

We had Rubicon and X to ourselves on the same day, boss connies too.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#26 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 11:32:27 am
Is there one of those ticket machines, like at the butcher’s counter, in place for Mecca now?

36chambers

• forum hero
#27 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 11:33:36 am
For some reason it reminded me of Barrow's "The 20 most pressing questions in British climbing" (which, in case he sees this, is due another edition :)).

I'd love to, I even had about 15 new ones ready a couple of years back... then I went for a job interview where they mentioned they'd looked at my blog (fortunately not those posts!) and I realised there were potential repercussions to posting lists of abusive questions with my name attached.... maybe I need to find a way to do version 3 "anonymously"...

I'm sure you could find a way, these questions need to be asked!

user deactivated

#28 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 11:44:31 am
Is there one of those ticket machines, like at the butcher’s counter, in place for Mecca now?

Have u lost your MinD?!

Yossarian

• forum hero
#29 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 11:53:23 am
For some reason it reminded me of Barrow's "The 20 most pressing questions in British climbing" (which, in case he sees this, is due another edition :)).

I'd love to, I even had about 15 new ones ready a couple of years back... then I went for a job interview where they mentioned they'd looked at my blog (fortunately not those posts!) and I realised there were potential repercussions to posting lists of abusive questions with my name attached.... maybe I need to find a way to do version 3 "anonymously"...

I like your blog. I assume you’ve not updated it because of fewer big international trips, but why not just stick up some less exotic stuff? Also, on the basis that you are often heard to accuse various people of having a crack habit, I think you ought to document your own crack session, possibly including any training benefits vs beta alanine, etc, etc...

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 11:57:06 am

Bouldering next to a load (several loads) of Chuffers at Birchen last weekend reminded me why I’m very happy not participating in any roped climbing....

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#31 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 12:10:54 pm
Bouldering next to a load (several loads) of Chuffers at Birchen last weekend reminded me why I’m very happy not participating in any roped climbing....

:lol: Yep, every cliff in the country’s just as busy as Birchen gets on a bank holiday. It’s a nightmare.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 12:19:01 pm

:lol: Yep, every cliff in the country’s just as busy as Birchen gets on a bank holiday. It’s a nightmare.  ;)

Not so much how busy it was (the business for those egg corn collectors :) ) but the general faff and stuff that goes with trad (and to a different degree sport). I like the turn up and do it - ness of bouldering.

All that carry on of multiple ropes and gear jangling. “Safe”, “slack on blue” etc etc...

I am fully aware that me straining like I’m trying to shit out a brick to get my arse 5cm off a mat on some eliminate sit start is completely ridiculous of course. But I usually do that in only my own company 😂

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#33 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 01:17:34 pm
I still love trad but everytime I go the faff drives me to distraction until I force myself to chill out. I think sport climbing is fairly low maintenance with a partner you trust to use a grigri but still takes on an air of farce when you watch someone clipsticking their way up something...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#34 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 01:27:55 pm
All that carry on of multiple ropes and gear jangling. “Safe”, “slack on blue” etc etc...

;D Most trad routes are even more faff on one rope though...

Except for onsight soloing all forms of climbing are faff-afflicted aren’t they? We just tolerate and embrace the types that come with the form we love the most and get more efficient at dealing with it the more regularly we do them.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#35 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 04:38:46 pm
Repeat soloing is pretty faff free. I was thinking bouldering is a faff the other day as I dragged two pads round Caley after work. Might have done 30 problems and still climbed less than 100m.

user deactivated

#36 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 05:13:01 pm
Good To hear you’re stickinG to the protocol

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#37 Re: Raven Tor parking
May 10, 2019, 07:30:06 pm
Some thoughts.

Must do the washing up. Bin out..

And,

I agree with the spirit of this thread, of course. Try to be mindful of your behaviour at the crag, impact on other users, members of the public etc.

However, castigating people, referring to those people who don't adhere to your own norms (if they really are) as a real bunch of Cs, posting up photos of "the culprits" etc, perhaps isn't the best way to do it.

I've parked questionably (though try my hardest not to), been noisy at the crag in my youth, crapped in the bushes, dossed at crags (couldn't wait to try out my new stove/Xmas present), climbed at crags where climbing isn't allowed (several of those in the Peak).

We ALL contribute to the tensions between different visitors/users in the Peak. I think there's a tendency to raise issues like these, when individually we might be worried about losing something, while perhaps being a little blind to issues elsewhere.

It's also very easy to forget where we personally draw the line.

It's always good to raise the issues, but if there is a defensive response, then that's probably not surprising.

There are many things we can do to improve relations with the Peak Park/other users in a constructive way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal