• On Steep Ground
#76 Re: Nesscliffe doings
May 31, 2019, 09:38:04 am
haha

Bradders

• forum hero
#77 Re: Nesscliffe doings
May 31, 2019, 10:23:42 am
Haha so clearly a case of the pot calling the kettle black here.

Hope he returns to do the 2nd ascent!

This is it though; if he wants to do it (which he clearly does) he should go and get it done!!!

Easy to say when sat on the sidelines but at the end of the day it's a bit of rock against which you personally challenge yourself, not something anyone can claim any sort of ownership over or an activity within which you can ever reasonably compare yourself to others. It really doesn't matter if you're first, second or hundredth; if it's a challenge you enjoy then just get on it and stop worrying about everything else.

Disclaimer: I do not always practice what I preach here, and definitely haven't done so in the past! Trying to though...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#78 Re: Nesscliffe doings
May 31, 2019, 10:40:42 am
With that Ambassador thing, it does seem like Callum had given up or at least stopped trying it. Which, again, makes it quite a different situation.

Obviously nobody can stop anybody from trying anything but there can still be an honour code which is loosely followed out of respect for the efforts of others.

It sounds a bit like Caff, for all his lack of self-promotion, can't help but chat to his mates about his various projects. If word hadn't got out that he was trying that Milestone Buttress arete thing then Callum most likely wouldn't have regained interest in it. And Callum could hardly have expected such an obvious project to sit in plain sight attracting no interest for long.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#79 Re: Nesscliffe doings
May 31, 2019, 11:21:35 am
Obviously nobody can stop anybody from trying anything but there can still be an honour code which is loosely followed out of respect for the efforts of others.

If you've put the time in to clean and find and work out sequences (and maybe bolt) a project then fair enough. If it's a fairly obvious gap on a well known crag that several others have tried... I suspect Nick told everyone he saw at the crag about this line (I'm one of them) and was happy to give the beta for sequences and gear. I don't really see anything in this "honour" other than preserving someone else's ego.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#80 Re: Nesscliffe doings
May 31, 2019, 11:39:03 am
With that Ambassador thing, it does seem like Callum had given up or at least stopped trying it. Which, again, makes it quite a different situation.

It sounds a bit like Caff, for all his lack of self-promotion, can't help but chat to his mates about his various projects. If word hadn't got out that he was trying that Milestone Buttress arete thing then Callum most likely wouldn't have regained interest in it. And Callum could hardly have expected such an obvious project to sit in plain sight attracting no interest for long.

I think the key point is

Just before setting off for a lead go I received a txt off Calum saying it would be nice if I gave him a week to attempt it before trying it.

Which seems similar, intentionally or otherwise.

petejh

• forum hero
#81 Re: Nesscliffe doings
May 31, 2019, 12:22:09 pm
Thanks Caff for the route-name inspiration you plonker  :lol:

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,30085.msg585411/topicseen.html#new

andy popp

• forum hero

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#83 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 11:59:31 am
From Caffbook:

"And I'm not into project ownership. But when you take a bad fall off the very top of a project and ask someone who hasn't been on it to let you polish it off and get ignored I see it as fairly shitty. And I see no difference between sport and trad projects when you've invested more money and evergy into doing a route than most sport projects, it certainly didn't appear anyone was trying it until I'd opened up the crux sequence, put wood hardener on the holds and got close on my 3rd visit before winter set in in 2017. Chodes"

Which seems to be different to:

From earlier in this thread:

It was an open project as Nick Dixon was encouraging Caff and Steve to get on it. Even so Steve got in touch with Caff to clear things and Caff texted something to the effect of that if he hadn't sent it by the end of the week (last week) then it was fair game as he was sick of trying it in crap conditions.

From Nick Dixon in Keith's article:

Caff started work on the project about 18 months ago and I could see he was way stronger than me on it. I have taken pleasure in this and whilst continuing to try it myself I have tried to support Caff in his ascent too. Caff and I had quite different sequences on it and he came really really close to a send about three weeks ago taking a massive lob. I spoke to Steve about the project about a year ago and I think Caff had spoken to him about it more recently encouraging him to have a go.

Was anyone else seriously trying for a lead before Caff?? (Sounds like Nick at least wasn't)
Was Steve trying it on lead before Caff's big attempt??
Was Caff's request to leave it for a week as exact and specific as that??

It isn't clear and without knowing the truth, it's hard to know what to feel, a pity as they're two extremely respect-worthy climbers.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#84 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 12:06:59 pm
I still think there's a lot to be said for not posting videos of your project on social media. They create a buzz around it and bring it to the front of people's minds. And if the sequences are there, laid out for all to see, and it's clearly a safe fall, then you're just asking for Britain's pre-eminent sport climber to come along and nick it.

What was it that old timer said? "We didn't want to do these routes, we just wanted to nick 'em off other people".

Sorry, I'll stop being a cyber wanker now.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#85 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 12:33:40 pm
Sorry, I'll stop being a cyber wanker now.

I doubt it

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#86 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 12:35:16 pm
Sorry, I'll stop being a cyber wanker for now.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#87 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 12:48:45 pm
I still think there's a lot to be said for not posting videos of your project on social media.

Or on the Daily Mail website!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#88 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 12:50:24 pm
Dark side of media spraying.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#89 Re: Nesscliffe doings
June 10, 2019, 12:50:47 pm
I still think there's a lot to be said for not posting videos of your project on social media.

Isn't that what professionals are asked to do for a living?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal