UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Limestone: Appeal for Photos (Read 1531 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Yorkshire Limestone: Appeal for Photos
May 13, 2019, 10:41:00 pm
I've mentioned before that I'm working on a select guide which will include a section covering Yorkshire Limestone. Work continues apace and I'm looking for some really good action shots.

If you have good photos of people climbing at any of the crags listed below, and you would like to submit them, then please email a hi-res JPEG over to wirednorthernrock@gmail.com.

If you're heading out to any of these crags then take your camera, get on an ab rope, and get snapping! What's in it for you? A free copy of the final book if your picture is used. And since this will be the best book ever created - climbing or non-climbing - I'd say that was pretty decent.

CRAGS:
Malham
Kilnsey
Gordale
Yew Cogar
Dib Scar
Gigg South
Stony Bank
Langcliffe (Skyline Buttress)
Attermire
Crummackdale
Pot Scar
Robin Proctor's
Troller's
Twistleton
Panorama

Some pointers (not that I'm a great photographer or anything):
- Don't crop your photo too much with the zoom or at all in post processing. You'd be amazed at how much extra photo around the edge the page setter might need to work with
- Think about how the photo will sit in a book. If it's landscape and goes on a double page spread, is the climber being sucked into the fold between the two pages?
- I'd particularly like pictures of ladies. Of the photos I have already for limestone the gender split is about 33% women. I think we can do better than that.
- Get your climber to wear a bright t-shirt
- Use an ab rope or stand on the top of the crag or anything to get into a better position - shots of people's arses are crap
- It's a select guide and the photos must be of routes that are in the book. There's no sense shooting somebody on Turd Wall on the Garbage Buttress
- Shooting in gorgeous light is preferable but not utterly essential. Photoshop can turn OK photos into quite decent images.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Excellent combination of begging and choosing there Will.  :lol:

I’ll have a look at some point this week. I have some of Malham, Troller’s & Giggleswick but they’re all pretty old so might be rubbish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal