UKBouldering.com

Climbing shorts (Read 5173 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 01:26:26 pm
I bought a pair of the old school Moon Cypher shorts years ago. Black, thick cotton, buckle belt; absolutely bombproof.

However, even I have to admit they're coming to the end now. One over exuberant bridge could be highly embarrassing.

Anyone got any recommendations for climbing shorts, preferably cotton rather than the polyester shit the new Cypher's are made of? Seems they might be dying breed, I can't find much that fits the bill.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 01:27:58 pm
Can't beat a baggy pair of Prana Mojo in my opinion!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 02:09:20 pm
I have a pair of 3rd Rock shorts, that I alternate with a pair of Decathlon MH500’s, for work (in a climbing wall) everyday from May to end October; as well as being my go-to’s for climbing outdoors, and Kayaking, and hiking, and running, and going to town, and ... you get the picture.
They’re both more than two years old now and still looking good. The MH500’s are the best and cost an extortionate £17.99 (+p&p), but probably don’t give you the “Three whole letter grade” boost that the Moon’s would, of course.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 02:42:59 pm
I've got a pair of vibrant Behemoth shorts for the wall, when it's too warm to keep my Cattle Decaptitation / Gorgoroth / etc vests on, but I still need to rep motivational music:

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#4 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 03:33:21 pm
Forgot about Decathlon; always a good shout, thanks Matt. Also came across some good looking (but expensive) Patagonia ones in case anyone else is looking at this thread:

https://www.facewest.co.uk/Patagonia-Venga-Rock-Shorts.html

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 04:06:02 pm
I've got some Decathlog shorts that were designed for MTB I believe - regular fit - but have a couple of decent pockets and they're stretchy.. Not too baggy either (for my stick like pins)

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 04:34:38 pm
Can't beat a baggy pair of Prana Mojo in my opinion!

Yeah, I bought a pair of these back in 2012, have used them on almost every route I've done with kneebars or when it's warm for 7 years, including living in them for months at a time on trips, and still going strong... Dry dead quick if you go for a swim in them, comfy, light... Can't imagine I'd buy anything else if I wanted a replacement, there's a reason why everyone wears them! I think they're "polyester shit" though?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#7 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 04:50:09 pm
Sounds like they're worth a look! The polyester thing is a personal peccadillo, just prefer cotton and feel like I'm wearing swimming shorts otherwise, but that is a few good reviews now...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 07:02:23 pm
I have a pair of Mojos and a pair of Decathlon hiking shorts. The fit of the Decathlon ones does make it feel like you're wearing swimshorts but not so much the the Mojos and they are cut better for climbing in.  They're polyester but that does mean they're lighter, had mine a couple of years and they still look brand new.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 07:20:59 pm
My decathlon ones were a cotton/poly mix...

Steve R

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 07:22:27 pm
I wasn't a big fan of them prana ones.  Too baggy and billowing lower down emphasising that 'pathetic sparrow legs poking out' sort of look and the tight elastic waist band thing destroys confidence with gut and love handle spill over.  (surprised Barros doesn't find this a problem) I've got some decathalog cheap ones - they're pretty grabby and crap for climbing and yeah, feel like swim short type material.  Hence also looking for some so thanks for starting the thread.

user deactivated

#11 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 07:25:43 pm
I prefer cut off stone washed denim or orange Krishna trousers also cut off. Great for the crag and the beach

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 07:42:17 pm
I prefer cut off stone washed denim or orange Krishna trousers also cut off. Great for the crag and the beach
Have you ever thought of becoming a lifestyle guru.
Or maybe that’s you already are. :dance1:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#13 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 07:47:09 pm

Thought so, after the last time I saw you at Anston I thought you know what's really holding Tom back is the weight of his shorts

Madgwick

#14 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:00:53 pm
+1 for the Prana Mojo. Bought 2 pairs about 15 years ago. Climbed in them hundreds of times and still going strong. Can't beat them.   

user deactivated

#15 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:05:48 pm
Have you ever thought of becoming a lifestyle guru.
Or maybe that’s you already are. :dance1:

THAT is not a bad idea at all Wbbo. Lifestyle coach to the Global ClimBing Community. I will have to develop a system of Objektive markers on which Clientz can rate themselves and be rated by others. benchmarks of FloW, CapacitY, LimiT and ProcesS Based currency flow will be required.

The Basic set up is £45 per calendar week. With a solid promise you WILL become a better person in areas such as.

1. Know who is worth talking to at the crag
2. Learn how to gain a SigNificant following on social media
3. Gain an attractive Lifestyle Partner and live in a Van for 6 months a year
4. Ambassadorial StaTus guaranteed
5. Never suffer with skid marks again

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:17:20 pm
I was hoping for advice on which polyester shorts to buy and how to wear them.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#17 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:20:33 pm
That's on the pLaTInUm programme.

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:39:31 pm

Thought so, after the last time I saw you at Anston I thought you know what's really holding Tom back is the weight of his shorts

It was the weight of my self expectation....

I hate wearing shorts in general. Toothpick legs (knots on cotton as my gran would say) so finding shorts s that don’t flap about is tricky (as Steve said).

webbo

• forum hero
#19 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:43:03 pm
If you thread a wire coat hanger through the hem of your baggy shorts, bend it in to a circle and join the ends together. You will find the legs don’t flap anymore.

user deactivated

#20 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:46:44 pm
Excellent stuff Will! I maY even do a q&a on UFCK if they’ll have me.

This is a TasTer webbo, and remember you are AccessinG the highest level of FloW Based capacity advice direct from the sourCe.

IT dependS on the pugnacious CapacitY of ones Capaciousness of the groin area. When eliMinating all independent Variables the siZe is directly inversely proportionate To the Grade and therefore Value of the human being in question.

In more plain speaking terms- the harder you climb and the more money you spend, the smaller the shorts. I recommend the average uk Based 9a waD give up trying to shop for shorts all together and simply Steal a pair from a barbie or ken doll. Where as U webbo should acquire a parachute and get the wrvs to sew you Up a pair.

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:55:11 pm
I’m actually well off for shorts. For general wear I have 3 pairs of Arcteryx shorts 2 Granite coloured and 1 stone coloured. For climbing I have a pair of pleated front Donegal tweed shorts in blue with red,green and gold flecks complete with turnups.

user deactivated

#22 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 08:56:55 pm
Turnips to u too

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#23 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 10:18:40 pm
To be honest, I actually miss the 5%lycra / cotton leggings, I used to get at the Gosport market for a couple of quid (you could get Black, Black or Absence of reflected light) and lived in, throughout long French summers in the ‘90s.

But, fashion faux pas aside, it really should be a criminal offence for a 50 year old bloke to be knocking around in leggings.

Yes, I’m looking at you, Monsieur Cycliste.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#24 Re: Climbing shorts
May 08, 2019, 11:07:06 pm
Only reason to ever wear cotton is that it is more comfy for kneebars and last longer. Since shorts can't protect the skin for kneebars anyway, why would anyone climb in cotton shorts?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal