UKBouldering.com

Big pads and load hauling (Read 11131 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#25 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 05:02:23 am
You lot have it easy...  :tease:

Approaches are typically 30-60minutes from the car. Mostly rough trail/talus.

Standard kit for a day out:
   1 - Big Pad, Organic or Asana - 5" thick, and 4" by 6" area
   1 - Regular pad, typically Organic or Asana, but sometimes a BD or metolius if I need more. 
   1 - 1/2 pad - normally one of the big foldout ones
   1 - rope cleaning kit - 100ft rope, harness, anchor gear, ascender, grigri, etc.
   1 - Brush cleaning kit - about 4-6 wire brushes of varying sizes, a mini crowbar, gloves, etc.
   1 - Climbing kit - all for a day of whatever in the alpine, including puffy, food, water etc. (normal development day is about 6-8 hours in the field)

Normal weigh in is about 50-70 lbs.  Set up is three bags, one with lightweight and/or bulky stuff, one for cleaning crap, and one fr normal heavier climbing kit. All of the lightweight/bulky stuff goes in large pad.  Regular and 1/2 pad get strapped to big pad. Heavier small bag goes on front. Third bag depends on the day, either in large pad, or on front. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157187114329138/permalink/1818043904910109/

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 08:23:32 am
The majority of my Bouldering is development{Highlands of Scotland} 20-40 mins walk in but can be longer over rough terrain so 2 trips with pads is Not uncommon unless my buddy comes with.
i use Moon Saturn and Warrior{carrying system is unrivaled for heavy sustained lifting} with various stack pads/fillers{old alpkits and metolius} strapped to this via lightweight ratchet strap. Probably 3 pad Max, Any more and it becomes ridiculous.

If im cleaning- heavy duty extension pole with brush attachments {Buddy is a Fab Welder so he made them to fit} or trad gear, harness and cut-off static rope.Plus stickies and chalk, All inside the Saturn or Warrior.

My Saturn is 4 years old and although the foam is still good its on its way out..BOO. Its had 3 straps rip and resewn. i contacted Moon about replacing the Outer and they would send one out for £150!!!!!!! Holy F**K you could buy another pad for that.
Fortunately my Wife is an excellent repair artist so the Saturn still lives.

Good post, Interesting responses   

Danny

• junky
#27 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:09:04 am
I recently took a Backcountry to Rum, stuffed with a half pad and supplies in the back and was pretty impressed by the support system. It still weighs a ton of course but I was getting up there (solid 90 minute bog-trotting up to 400m) without the usual ache in the shoulders as the weight seems very well distributed. And for shorter walk ins I've just slung another pad over the back of it without it being an issue.

This looks pretty innovative as a "pad stuffable boulder bag" -  if it's of decent quality. https://www.instagram.com/p/BwuV3LjDiTS/

Encouraging endorsement of the backcountry. Re: that bag, looks good. If you could find one of those packing cubes in full suitcase size I think that'd be spot on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packing-Travel-Bags-Suitcases-Cube-And-Luggage-Clothes-Bag-Large-Small-Sizes/123654638742?hash=item1cca640c96:g:VZQAAOSwiZhcbFmu

Danny

• junky
#28 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:16:14 am
You lot have it easy...  :tease:

Approaches are typically 30-60minutes from the car. Mostly rough trail/talus.

Standard kit for a day out:
   1 - Big Pad, Organic or Asana - 5" thick, and 4" by 6" area
   1 - Regular pad, typically Organic or Asana, but sometimes a BD or metolius if I need more. 
   1 - 1/2 pad - normally one of the big foldout ones
   1 - rope cleaning kit - 100ft rope, harness, anchor gear, ascender, grigri, etc.
   1 - Brush cleaning kit - about 4-6 wire brushes of varying sizes, a mini crowbar, gloves, etc.
   1 - Climbing kit - all for a day of whatever in the alpine, including puffy, food, water etc. (normal development day is about 6-8 hours in the field)

Normal weigh in is about 50-70 lbs.  Set up is three bags, one with lightweight and/or bulky stuff, one for cleaning crap, and one fr normal heavier climbing kit. All of the lightweight/bulky stuff goes in large pad.  Regular and 1/2 pad get strapped to big pad. Heavier small bag goes on front. Third bag depends on the day, either in large pad, or on front. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157187114329138/permalink/1818043904910109/

This is excellent. Nothing more irritating than the sound of velcro failing as you try to shoulder a multi-pad sandwich.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#29 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:40:04 am
Whats the best way you've found to join two highballs?

Have 2 and not found anything thats really successful.

Be interested to hear!

Cheers

So it's between the spare buckle and the little loop. Pack any spare kit in the one you're going to wear. Flip the second pad and put it so it's loops/buckles are on the outside of the sandwich.  Then when you join it you can compress the whole sandwich down tight.

You get a bit of flapping,  but it's survived 15mpr on a kids scooter.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#30 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:46:39 am
Re: big loads, cleaning kit etc.

I will admit to playing the long game and prolonging the pleasure by doing separate cleaning and trying missions.  Most are so out of the way it's rarely a problem.

Also if I'm dragging a rope in forcleaning highballs, I'll usually just work it off the rope and leave the pads.

Ultimately a pyrenees mountain dog with panniers would be ideal

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#31 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:51:36 am

Probably best with a bigger dog..

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#32 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:16:49 am
Not a huge amount to add to this but in my experience the Organic Full Pad's carry system is perfectly adequate. The straps on the Backcountry thing look very bulky. Do they remove? This is a massive faff? I notice that Organic also do a modular hip belt that they call the Muffin Protector. A hip belt is absolutely essential for anything more than a light load.

Avoid taco pads like the plague. Obviously. You can never get the load distribution right.

Carrying a bag on the front - I've mixed opinions about this. I did it for a while but I'm not sure it ever truly counteracted the load on the back, more just added another set of forces that pulled at a different set of muscles. And yes, if navigating rough ground it can be a pain.

My biggest haul was to Earl Seat with four pads, plus a big camera. I think I might have had a rope as well? It was a hot day and it took over an hour - the first 50 mins or so is uphill grind and the last 15-20 mins is highstepping through heather and dodging grips.

I had the Full Pad with a second Red Chilli thing that I pinched off a mate strapped to the back. Then a Black Diamond Drop Zone slung around them using a series of slings (a ratchet strap would be far better for this), and then I carried a small Alpkit pad under my arm with rucksack on the front.

I gave up trying that project soon after.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#33 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:26:36 am
No commitment.

webbo

• forum hero
#34 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:36:51 am
This is yet another area of climbing that’s easier if you have lank. Being a short arse by the time I have strapped 3 pads on, they are dragging on the ground.

36chambers

• forum hero
#35 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:44:19 am
Slightly off topic, but can anyone actually carry a normal size pad like a brief case and not have it dragging on the ground if your arms are straight?

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:47:01 am
This is yet another area of climbing that’s easier if you have lank. Being a short arse by the time I have strapped 3 pads on, they are dragging on the ground.

Fake news 😃. Being short gives a lower centre of gravity meaning less energy is wasted with the pads waving about at height.

tomtom

• forum hero
#37 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:47:41 am
Slightly off topic, but can anyone actually carry a normal size pad like a brief case and not have it dragging on the ground if your arms are straight?

You need a -ve ape index to do that...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#38 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:52:29 am
No commitment.

I saw you at the parking that day and asked if you were going to mule some pads up the hill for me. You declined to help. No commitment.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#39 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:02:57 am
The Petzl pad is the comfiest I've carried. But they rely heavily on a zip and tbh I haven't carried many other makes of big pad.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#40 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:06:20 am
Committed to my own projects. Don't blmae others for your life's regrets  :chair:

Bradders

• forum hero
#41 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:24:04 am
Avoid taco pads like the plague. Obviously. You can never get the load distribution right.

Completely disagree with this in relation to the Moon Saturn. Always feels perfectly balanced, even rammed full of kit with two other pads strapped to it.

Interesting that the back country mitigates shoulder pain. Can't say the same for the Saturn although it's never too bad and I've always thought it just comes with the territory.

yetix

• forum abuser
#42 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:48:00 am
I find a Saturn filled with an organic and kit harder to carry than say 3 organics (both combos are close in weight), but both are acceptable for walk ins in the UK

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#43 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 06, 2019, 03:37:33 pm
Not a huge amount to add to this but in my experience the Organic Full Pad's carry system is perfectly adequate. The straps on the Backcountry thing look very bulky. Do they remove? This is a massive faff? I notice that Organic also do a modular hip belt that they call the Muffin Protector. A hip belt is absolutely essential for anything more than a light load.

I recently picked up one of the backcounty setups from organic as a new big pad replacement.  I decided to go all out...  So far, it seems like it will be a big step up in durability and load management.  I've loaded it up and can comfortably load all my crap (see above) into the pad rather than front loading it.  The proof will come after the season gets fully under way here, but my hope is to be able to strap 2 big pads and a regular and manage... 

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#44 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 06, 2019, 06:06:47 pm
Dammit looks like it might be time to start saving after all!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#45 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 07, 2019, 10:50:59 pm
Also - a friend up here who also does a ton of development uses an external frame pack, and then straps to the pads to that.  swears by it.  Not what I use, but i definitely see the value.

Danny

• junky
#46 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 11, 2019, 09:01:03 pm
Looking for a pad stuffable bag on the internet, I came across this under bed duvet storage thingy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U1CGT4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only 15 notes, so I went ahead and chanced it.

And after testing it today I can say it's absolutely perfect for getting a lot of stuff evenly distributed inside your pad. Less good for moving about a lot, but nothing some modifications can't sort, and I'm not sure it's going to be super durable, but we'll see.

Ged

• junky
#47 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 11, 2019, 09:42:55 pm
I treated myself to an ocun dominator as got more into bouldering recently due to baby. Nothing but good to say about it, mainly due to the fact its pretty light. That with an oldish moon something or other seems fine to carry,occasionally with a short bit of rope.

I usually chuck most of my other stuff (boots, water etc) in one of those heavy duty bag for life things, and give the fingers a warm up on the walk in. Seems to work quite well.

I've also found an 8 month baby strapped to your front is an ideal counter weight. Joking aside, it's quite noticeable how much she's facing downwards when I carry her on my front with a heavy load on my back,due to me leaning forward. Wonder what thatll do to my posture long term.

Ged

• junky
#48 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 11, 2019, 09:44:00 pm
On another note, if I'm doing lots of cleaning, I definitely leave the pads behind for a dedicated rope session to clean and work a few problems, then come back with pads another day to clean up.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#49 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 12, 2019, 12:15:48 pm
Joking aside, it's quite noticeable how much she's facing downwards when I carry her on my front with a heavy load on my back,due to me leaning forward. Wonder what thatll do to my posture long term.

Unless you’re carrying heavy pads several hours every day, the driving to the crag is probably more detrimental to your posture!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal