UKBouldering.com

Big pads and load hauling (Read 11124 times)

Danny

• junky
Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 11:43:51 am
Since I do a lot of bouldering on my own, and a fair bit of development, I often haul multiple pads (3-4) and kit to the crag.

My biggest pad is an Ocun Dominator, which is a decent size, weight and thickness, but the carrying system is toss. In fact, build quality for these pads is quite poor I think: the carrying straps, which are already shit, have started to tear through the pad fabric. I've stitched it, but I don't think it'll last.* Part of the issue is of course that it isn't designed to have multiple pads strapped to it, but it could deffo be better.

Anyway, after losing a stashed pad to massive waves in a storm, I bought an Organic full pad, which is pretty decent, having a good carry system, and I can use the big flap thing to strap my trashed Ocun to the back of it, but the whole setup is slightly faffy. Now I'm thinking I should get a nice big pad with a really good carry system that will stand up to the abuse I dish out week to week and provide more room to shove kit inside, strap more pads to, etc.

Organic do a backcountry pad, which looks spot on, but is eyewateringly expensive:

https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/boulder-pads/organic-climbing/backcountry-pad

Still, I might treat myself. OTOH, Alpkit have a new big pad at half the price with a half decent looking carry system (albeit not as good as the Organic):

https://www.alpkit.com/products/project#features

If anyone has or has used either of these I'd be interested to hear feedback.

*second quibble: anything with metal zips is going to be shit for coastal bouldering.

Danny

• junky
#1 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 11:45:52 am
Secondarily, a discussion on general kit hauling strategies might be useful for those of us who do this type of thing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 12:09:25 pm
Anyway, after losing a stashed pad to massive waves in a storm,

Somewhere in the mid Atlantic is a bouldering pad island. I've lost 2, and know of at least 2 others lost locally.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 12:39:50 pm
As much as I’ve been tempted to save up my pennies for a backcountry pad, the back system on the big pad (which is the same as the full pad) has always been sufficiently comfortable and stable for me.

I’ve walked >30 min approaches with two big pads strapped together, this is pretty hard work weight wise (think they weigh 8kg each) but gives you a very respectable landing area. I’ve done some shorter approaches with 3 big pads strapped together, I wouldn’t recommend this unless you’re training to be a porter in the Himalayas!

Rather than stashing shoes etc in the pads when I’m carrying a few, I carry it in a bag on my chest, which helps counterbalance the pad weight.

No experience of the new Alpkit ones so can’t help out there.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 01:00:24 pm
I've only had the new Alpkit pad for a couple of weeks, but so far the carry system is proving comfortable, albeit with a limited experience of long approaches - the longest being 10-15min at Anston Stones with an extra Ocun Dominator strapped to the back.

With this amount of weight, the harness was straining a little at the main covering, so we'll have to wait and see if this is a weak point.

In addition to the good recommendation to carry shoes/chalk/food on your chest, also consider strapping the extra pad inline with the carrying pad using extra straps, as this reduces wobble and leverage compared to just using the shoulder strap of the other pad.

Pope B

• regular
#5 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 01:02:39 pm
UKGearAdverts did a review on the new alpkit pads,

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/bouldering_mats/alpkit_bouldering_mats_-_origin_mujo_and_project-11658

don't know how helpful it'll be, but hopefully will provide some insight.

Danny

• junky
#6 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 01:29:48 pm
Anyway, after losing a stashed pad to massive waves in a storm,

Somewhere in the mid Atlantic is a bouldering pad island. I've lost 2, and know of at least 2 others lost locally.

The great Atlantic lost pad patch.

Danny

• junky
#7 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 01:41:12 pm
Good feedback all.

Regarding the Organic full pad carry system: I think it's good, and might go big pad rather than backcountry if it's the same deal.

On load balancing, something about front carrying annoys me—and it's deffo a hindrance moving over steep ground—but perhaps I just need a different bag. On compression straps, I agree and almost always use them. The full pad has what are effectively compression straps that give quite a neat carry with the Ocun. I believe Organic also do some bespoke webbing to strap pads together.

I was thinking the other day that someone needs to design a pad stuffable boulder bag, i.e. essentially a thin drybag type thing with a big zip or something and a super minimal carry system for hauling it about outside a pad. I currently use a large bag for life type bag for my kit. Low bulk for the capacity offered, is easy to stuff into a pad, and gives quick access to all your kit.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#8 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 01:59:07 pm
I've had a moon warrior for a few months now and have found the carry system to be really good, can fit one small pad and a rope inside it and another small pad held on by the flap. I'm a bit worried about the stitching though as it doesn't look that strong. I think you are right that pads aren't designed to have multiple other pads strapped to them, but I think this is a bit bollocks as they really should be!

Rucksack on the front definitely makes things easier.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#9 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 02:04:15 pm
How does the alpkit foam compare with the organic stuff (for the massive alpkit pad)? Might upgrade next bouldering season but the organic prices are large for a poor phd student etc. etc.. (im too tight)

yetix

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 02:11:30 pm
Can't comment on the newer or larger models but I have an old alpkit and 2 organic full pads which are all the same size and about the same weight. I've found that the straps on the organics can be a little frustrating when you are trying to tighten from full extension. I've found that the alpkits stitching and fabric doesn't seem to be of the same quality and some of the straps have fallen off (fortunately the organics straps have made it easy for me to slot the alpkit between the 2 organics when carrying the 3).

I also rate my moon saturn pad, but find location of the straps on the back to be frustrating compared to older saturn models when approaching on rocky terrain (older models had the straps lower down so this meant the pad was higher on my back)

Bradders

• forum hero
#11 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 03:04:00 pm
Have posted about this a few times recently but I also rate the Moon Saturn and I almost never go bouldering without strapping at least two other pads (usually a Warrior or Grivel plus a sitter or Organic Blubber) to the outside and stuffing rope, shoes, chalk, camera, tarp, food, water, etc. inside. I've always found the carry system very comfortable and have used it on 5km+ approaches (Flaystones, Harter Gold, etc.) several times.

That said, if the Organic Big Pad or back country were the same price I'd find it very hard to choose, as the foam is brilliant on those.

Having had my Saturn for two years of very intensive (at least one session a week, every week, often two or three), it's now starting to show signs of wear; the foam is softening up (not alarmingly, but noticeably), some of the stitching is coming out and one of the closure loops ripped off (admittedly this was due to falling on it from height and then sliding on it whilst it was staked to the ground through the loop  ::)).

I've been considering one of the big Alpkits but haven't bitten the bullet because my previous experience with their foam is that it was complete toss. I think they've changed it now, and offer a 3 year guarantee, but it still puts me off. That and the thing is almost too big!! I drive a big estate car and would still be worried about fitting it in.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 03:17:58 pm
I’ve at the moment:
Snap Grand Wrap
Snap Wrap
Snap calzone (old)
Organic standard (but with the extra strap thing)
Pod crisp packet.

I’m a huge fan of the snap wrap pads (the ones with the air cushioning) as think none of the others I’ve tried match their cushioning. They have good shoulder straps and waist belts (better than organic). BUT - they are bloody heavy AND because they are soft (relying on the air release for cushioning) if you try and strap another pad across the top they bend and sag on your back wand the whole load wallows around a bit. So I tend to use these on their own or with short walk ins.

For longer walk ins I use the organic as a base then strap one of the others to the back inside the organic flap thing which works well.

A general point - I’ve found over the years that you generally get what you pay for - and if the mat is cheap - it’s likely the foam is cheap and won’t last long.

Ps - I had an ocun dominator which was great but the strap ripped off the back too.

Pps- amazed no one does a ‘replacement foam’ service for mats.. you resole shoes why not refoam mats...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#13 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 03:35:01 pm
I think this place refoam mats.

Bradders

• forum hero
#14 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 03:39:38 pm
Teestub has bought replacement foam from Alpkit as well and having used it the foam did feel very good, and lighter than the standard Organic stuff. Whether it lasts as long though....

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#15 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 04:05:21 pm
Time will tell on that replacement foam, but as it was only £40 (I think) for the open cell (don’t need to replace closed cell in Organic, it’s what you’re paying a premium for a think), I won’t be too unhappy if it only lasts a couple of years.

andy popp

• forum hero
#16 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 04:14:16 pm
closed cell in Organic, it’s what you’re paying a premium for a think

Where do other companies manufacture their pads? There may be some premium for the fact Organic manufacture in the US.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#17 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 04:34:51 pm
Sorry, yes I agree entirely that some of the additional cost for Organic will be due to them being made in the US by people paid a living wage. The two main differentiations in terms of use (IMO) are the quality of the closed cell foam and quality of the construction (stitching etc.)

andy popp

• forum hero
#18 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 04:45:34 pm
Yes, I meant in addition to quality materials (which are also sourced in the US). I assume they pay a living wage - minimum wage in PA is $7.25 an hour.

user deactivated

#19 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 05:33:18 pm
I prefer the 2 medium sized Franklin pads maximum approach. Sometimes if it’s to high, rather than approach from the ground multiples of times, I like to descend on a rope and try the tricky move(s) first. In this way I don’t need a telescopic scrubbing brush and find there’s overall less wear to the holds. Unfortunately to do it this way does mean you are ethically inferior to eventually doing the ‘climb’ after a thousand goes from the deck.

Thomnomnom

• regular
#20 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 08:26:30 pm
I recently took a Backcountry to Rum, stuffed with a half pad and supplies in the back and was pretty impressed by the support system. It still weighs a ton of course but I was getting up there (solid 90 minute bog-trotting up to 400m) without the usual ache in the shoulders as the weight seems very well distributed. And for shorter walk ins I've just slung another pad over the back of it without it being an issue.

This looks pretty innovative as a "pad stuffable boulder bag" -  if it's of decent quality. https://www.instagram.com/p/BwuV3LjDiTS/

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#21 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 09:56:53 pm
Sometimes if it’s to high, rather than approach from the ground multiples of times, I like to descend on a rope and try the tricky move(s) first.

I rarely try anything high enough for a rope to be required but on steeper stuff you end up covering a lot of ground.

user deactivated

#22 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 10:11:04 pm
Coverage is an issue when it comes to us lads eh Tim

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#23 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 10:34:05 pm
I use dmm highballs that have a strap system to join two or more pads. I regularly walk in more than an hour,  and it even copes with a scooter wedged in with the kit. (hour in, 15mins out)

macca7

• addict
#24 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 01, 2019, 11:43:57 pm
Whats the best way you've found to join two highballs?

Have 2 and not found anything thats really successful.

Be interested to hear!

Cheers

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#25 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 05:02:23 am
You lot have it easy...  :tease:

Approaches are typically 30-60minutes from the car. Mostly rough trail/talus.

Standard kit for a day out:
   1 - Big Pad, Organic or Asana - 5" thick, and 4" by 6" area
   1 - Regular pad, typically Organic or Asana, but sometimes a BD or metolius if I need more. 
   1 - 1/2 pad - normally one of the big foldout ones
   1 - rope cleaning kit - 100ft rope, harness, anchor gear, ascender, grigri, etc.
   1 - Brush cleaning kit - about 4-6 wire brushes of varying sizes, a mini crowbar, gloves, etc.
   1 - Climbing kit - all for a day of whatever in the alpine, including puffy, food, water etc. (normal development day is about 6-8 hours in the field)

Normal weigh in is about 50-70 lbs.  Set up is three bags, one with lightweight and/or bulky stuff, one for cleaning crap, and one fr normal heavier climbing kit. All of the lightweight/bulky stuff goes in large pad.  Regular and 1/2 pad get strapped to big pad. Heavier small bag goes on front. Third bag depends on the day, either in large pad, or on front. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157187114329138/permalink/1818043904910109/

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 08:23:32 am
The majority of my Bouldering is development{Highlands of Scotland} 20-40 mins walk in but can be longer over rough terrain so 2 trips with pads is Not uncommon unless my buddy comes with.
i use Moon Saturn and Warrior{carrying system is unrivaled for heavy sustained lifting} with various stack pads/fillers{old alpkits and metolius} strapped to this via lightweight ratchet strap. Probably 3 pad Max, Any more and it becomes ridiculous.

If im cleaning- heavy duty extension pole with brush attachments {Buddy is a Fab Welder so he made them to fit} or trad gear, harness and cut-off static rope.Plus stickies and chalk, All inside the Saturn or Warrior.

My Saturn is 4 years old and although the foam is still good its on its way out..BOO. Its had 3 straps rip and resewn. i contacted Moon about replacing the Outer and they would send one out for £150!!!!!!! Holy F**K you could buy another pad for that.
Fortunately my Wife is an excellent repair artist so the Saturn still lives.

Good post, Interesting responses   

Danny

• junky
#27 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:09:04 am
I recently took a Backcountry to Rum, stuffed with a half pad and supplies in the back and was pretty impressed by the support system. It still weighs a ton of course but I was getting up there (solid 90 minute bog-trotting up to 400m) without the usual ache in the shoulders as the weight seems very well distributed. And for shorter walk ins I've just slung another pad over the back of it without it being an issue.

This looks pretty innovative as a "pad stuffable boulder bag" -  if it's of decent quality. https://www.instagram.com/p/BwuV3LjDiTS/

Encouraging endorsement of the backcountry. Re: that bag, looks good. If you could find one of those packing cubes in full suitcase size I think that'd be spot on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packing-Travel-Bags-Suitcases-Cube-And-Luggage-Clothes-Bag-Large-Small-Sizes/123654638742?hash=item1cca640c96:g:VZQAAOSwiZhcbFmu

Danny

• junky
#28 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:16:14 am
You lot have it easy...  :tease:

Approaches are typically 30-60minutes from the car. Mostly rough trail/talus.

Standard kit for a day out:
   1 - Big Pad, Organic or Asana - 5" thick, and 4" by 6" area
   1 - Regular pad, typically Organic or Asana, but sometimes a BD or metolius if I need more. 
   1 - 1/2 pad - normally one of the big foldout ones
   1 - rope cleaning kit - 100ft rope, harness, anchor gear, ascender, grigri, etc.
   1 - Brush cleaning kit - about 4-6 wire brushes of varying sizes, a mini crowbar, gloves, etc.
   1 - Climbing kit - all for a day of whatever in the alpine, including puffy, food, water etc. (normal development day is about 6-8 hours in the field)

Normal weigh in is about 50-70 lbs.  Set up is three bags, one with lightweight and/or bulky stuff, one for cleaning crap, and one fr normal heavier climbing kit. All of the lightweight/bulky stuff goes in large pad.  Regular and 1/2 pad get strapped to big pad. Heavier small bag goes on front. Third bag depends on the day, either in large pad, or on front. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157187114329138/permalink/1818043904910109/

This is excellent. Nothing more irritating than the sound of velcro failing as you try to shoulder a multi-pad sandwich.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#29 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:40:04 am
Whats the best way you've found to join two highballs?

Have 2 and not found anything thats really successful.

Be interested to hear!

Cheers

So it's between the spare buckle and the little loop. Pack any spare kit in the one you're going to wear. Flip the second pad and put it so it's loops/buckles are on the outside of the sandwich.  Then when you join it you can compress the whole sandwich down tight.

You get a bit of flapping,  but it's survived 15mpr on a kids scooter.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#30 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:46:39 am
Re: big loads, cleaning kit etc.

I will admit to playing the long game and prolonging the pleasure by doing separate cleaning and trying missions.  Most are so out of the way it's rarely a problem.

Also if I'm dragging a rope in forcleaning highballs, I'll usually just work it off the rope and leave the pads.

Ultimately a pyrenees mountain dog with panniers would be ideal

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#31 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 09:51:36 am

Probably best with a bigger dog..

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#32 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:16:49 am
Not a huge amount to add to this but in my experience the Organic Full Pad's carry system is perfectly adequate. The straps on the Backcountry thing look very bulky. Do they remove? This is a massive faff? I notice that Organic also do a modular hip belt that they call the Muffin Protector. A hip belt is absolutely essential for anything more than a light load.

Avoid taco pads like the plague. Obviously. You can never get the load distribution right.

Carrying a bag on the front - I've mixed opinions about this. I did it for a while but I'm not sure it ever truly counteracted the load on the back, more just added another set of forces that pulled at a different set of muscles. And yes, if navigating rough ground it can be a pain.

My biggest haul was to Earl Seat with four pads, plus a big camera. I think I might have had a rope as well? It was a hot day and it took over an hour - the first 50 mins or so is uphill grind and the last 15-20 mins is highstepping through heather and dodging grips.

I had the Full Pad with a second Red Chilli thing that I pinched off a mate strapped to the back. Then a Black Diamond Drop Zone slung around them using a series of slings (a ratchet strap would be far better for this), and then I carried a small Alpkit pad under my arm with rucksack on the front.

I gave up trying that project soon after.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#33 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:26:36 am
No commitment.

webbo

• forum hero
#34 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:36:51 am
This is yet another area of climbing that’s easier if you have lank. Being a short arse by the time I have strapped 3 pads on, they are dragging on the ground.

36chambers

• forum hero
#35 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:44:19 am
Slightly off topic, but can anyone actually carry a normal size pad like a brief case and not have it dragging on the ground if your arms are straight?

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:47:01 am
This is yet another area of climbing that’s easier if you have lank. Being a short arse by the time I have strapped 3 pads on, they are dragging on the ground.

Fake news 😃. Being short gives a lower centre of gravity meaning less energy is wasted with the pads waving about at height.

tomtom

• forum hero
#37 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:47:41 am
Slightly off topic, but can anyone actually carry a normal size pad like a brief case and not have it dragging on the ground if your arms are straight?

You need a -ve ape index to do that...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#38 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 10:52:29 am
No commitment.

I saw you at the parking that day and asked if you were going to mule some pads up the hill for me. You declined to help. No commitment.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#39 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:02:57 am
The Petzl pad is the comfiest I've carried. But they rely heavily on a zip and tbh I haven't carried many other makes of big pad.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#40 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:06:20 am
Committed to my own projects. Don't blmae others for your life's regrets  :chair:

Bradders

• forum hero
#41 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:24:04 am
Avoid taco pads like the plague. Obviously. You can never get the load distribution right.

Completely disagree with this in relation to the Moon Saturn. Always feels perfectly balanced, even rammed full of kit with two other pads strapped to it.

Interesting that the back country mitigates shoulder pain. Can't say the same for the Saturn although it's never too bad and I've always thought it just comes with the territory.

yetix

• forum abuser
#42 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 02, 2019, 11:48:00 am
I find a Saturn filled with an organic and kit harder to carry than say 3 organics (both combos are close in weight), but both are acceptable for walk ins in the UK

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#43 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 06, 2019, 03:37:33 pm
Not a huge amount to add to this but in my experience the Organic Full Pad's carry system is perfectly adequate. The straps on the Backcountry thing look very bulky. Do they remove? This is a massive faff? I notice that Organic also do a modular hip belt that they call the Muffin Protector. A hip belt is absolutely essential for anything more than a light load.

I recently picked up one of the backcounty setups from organic as a new big pad replacement.  I decided to go all out...  So far, it seems like it will be a big step up in durability and load management.  I've loaded it up and can comfortably load all my crap (see above) into the pad rather than front loading it.  The proof will come after the season gets fully under way here, but my hope is to be able to strap 2 big pads and a regular and manage... 

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#44 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 06, 2019, 06:06:47 pm
Dammit looks like it might be time to start saving after all!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#45 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 07, 2019, 10:50:59 pm
Also - a friend up here who also does a ton of development uses an external frame pack, and then straps to the pads to that.  swears by it.  Not what I use, but i definitely see the value.

Danny

• junky
#46 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 11, 2019, 09:01:03 pm
Looking for a pad stuffable bag on the internet, I came across this under bed duvet storage thingy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U1CGT4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only 15 notes, so I went ahead and chanced it.

And after testing it today I can say it's absolutely perfect for getting a lot of stuff evenly distributed inside your pad. Less good for moving about a lot, but nothing some modifications can't sort, and I'm not sure it's going to be super durable, but we'll see.

Ged

• junky
#47 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 11, 2019, 09:42:55 pm
I treated myself to an ocun dominator as got more into bouldering recently due to baby. Nothing but good to say about it, mainly due to the fact its pretty light. That with an oldish moon something or other seems fine to carry,occasionally with a short bit of rope.

I usually chuck most of my other stuff (boots, water etc) in one of those heavy duty bag for life things, and give the fingers a warm up on the walk in. Seems to work quite well.

I've also found an 8 month baby strapped to your front is an ideal counter weight. Joking aside, it's quite noticeable how much she's facing downwards when I carry her on my front with a heavy load on my back,due to me leaning forward. Wonder what thatll do to my posture long term.

Ged

• junky
#48 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 11, 2019, 09:44:00 pm
On another note, if I'm doing lots of cleaning, I definitely leave the pads behind for a dedicated rope session to clean and work a few problems, then come back with pads another day to clean up.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#49 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 12, 2019, 12:15:48 pm
Joking aside, it's quite noticeable how much she's facing downwards when I carry her on my front with a heavy load on my back,due to me leaning forward. Wonder what thatll do to my posture long term.

Unless you’re carrying heavy pads several hours every day, the driving to the crag is probably more detrimental to your posture!

tomtom

• forum hero
#50 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 12, 2019, 12:27:22 pm
Joking aside, it's quite noticeable how much she's facing downwards when I carry her on my front with a heavy load on my back,due to me leaning forward. Wonder what thatll do to my posture long term.

Unless you’re carrying heavy pads several hours every day, the driving to the crag is probably more detrimental to your posture!

Though sitting in a car seat is far more movement constrained/controlled - so it’s quite hard to jar the back/bend it in an odd way - which is quite do-able with a teetering pad combo....

But moving on from a rather minor point above (I wasn’t sure if you were being facetious or serious there TS 😃) - taking a load on the hips is really important to help back strain.

On a backpack that’s far easier as the load is typically more compact and you can put all the heavy stuff at the bottom. So much so that with a well packed backpack you can almost have the shoulder straps loose as the weight is square on the hips.

With a large pad combo - the weight sits far higher up closer to the shoulders than hips - so whilst hip belts take some strain and some of the load - you still have to lean forward and take a load on the shoulders. I kinda wish pad designers would allow the hip belt to therefore sit higher up the pad (then it clouts the back of your thighs I guess)

Danny

• junky
#51 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 12, 2019, 08:24:33 pm
Pad setup here. Little pad on top gives better weight distribution. You can see the duvet bag thing inside the Organic pad. My guess is that it won't take the abuse, but I'll deffo try to find something more robust but of similar dimensions when it falls to bits.
60086747_10161697695935246_4828021060110647296_n by danny_of_neill, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:29:45 pm by Danny »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#52 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 18, 2020, 11:56:05 am
Looking at getting a skinny pad or two for sit starts and a bit of protection for a shelf block on a project, seeing I might well be bouldering alone for a bit.

I've got an Ocun Paddy Dominator, so not looking at another enormous pad (as per Danny above) as I won't be able to move!

https://alpkit.com/collections/bouldering-mats/products/waffa a good option or something similar? Not keen on spending more than £50 each.

Bradders

• forum hero
#53 Re: Big pads and load hauling
May 18, 2020, 12:03:31 pm
Reckon that'll be perfect. Great price for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal