UKBouldering.com

Microaggressions in the climbing community (Read 10912 times)

user deactivated

Microaggresions in the climbing community

With the sport rapidly moving from an alternative pastime for misfits, oddballs and people bad at football and rugby, to a global community of like minded members pursuing a range of disciplines from developing one arm hang strength and being able to walk on ones hands to performing third generation dynamic movements. Surely now is the time for the community to tackle the long standing and disturbing trend of the ‘microaggression in climbing’.
The term originated in the 1970’s as a response to unconscious or subtle prejudice but in more recent years has become a sort of catch all term for the delivery of almost any minor but clearly significant insult delivered in a passive aggressive manner often elitist.

Microaggressions in climbing take many forms, from the ubiquitous ‘sandbagging’ or underperforming to downgrading, de-facto elitism, and denigrating a route or problem in ones UKC logbook. This last one is a well recognised syndrome for which there is no known cure.

Personal experiences of more verbal microaggressions include:

‘Not bad for a weak / larger person’

‘I think my mates brothers kids hamster flashed that’

‘What’s he / she ever done on grit’

‘I’ll bring my own rack / rope’

‘You’ve done to much aeropow and not enough ancap’

‘Mind if I just stick the clips in this’

Non verbal microaggressions are endemic but the most prevalent and emotionally disturbing is the ‘crag blanking’. A look or non look )usually delivered when in the presence of other ‘de facto elite’ climbers on the social media ladder) that says ‘do I know you?’

This article is intended to raise awareness of ‘climbing microaggressions’ to the community at large. Possibly the national bodies could get involved linking up with media organisations to further help stamp out this terrible practice.

webbo

• forum hero
You spend 50 years trying to become an expert in something, then someone wants to ban it. :no:

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
Give this a listen if you can find the time Dan, I think you'll find it interesting - it critiques the microgression 'death by a thousand paper cuts' concept in detail.

https://scottbarrykaufman.com/podcast/the-rise-of-victimhood-culture-with-bradley-campbell/

user deactivated

Thanks Mr. TheKettle that does actually sound quite fascinating (no microaggressions intended)

Webbo 😂

user deactivated

With regards the blanking

I was once ‘internationally blanked’ by one Sheffield based z list climbing celeb about 15 years ago. The ‘international blank’ has become a most coveted achievement on any climbing trip abroad since. In the hope of being able to utter the expression ‘did you see that? I can’t believe it. He / she just totally internationally blanked me!’

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Obviously I wasn't there but are you that sure it was "blanking" or just a fleeting encounter with someone tired and trudging back to their van, and mulling over their meal choices for the night, or perhaps pondering over a cryptic crossword clue whilst mooching to another tedious belay stint (possibly a moose specific option). 

During my more paranoid moments I occasionally think I am being muttered about behind my back... then I realise that I am entirely unimportant and no-one gives a fuck... and if they do, well more fool them.  To paraphrase Hanlon's Razor, "never attribute to malice what can be adequate explained by being tired and self-absorbed"

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I can't help but agree with you  moose, I'm sure some people  sink this low but most blanking or most undiplomatic comments are just the result of people being absorbed in what they're doing or recognizing someone but not remembering their name or similar.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
to further help stamp out this terrible practice.

nothing micro about my aggression trunk

raaaaghr

user deactivated

C’mon lads, I’ve been dining out on the international blanking story for years now, don’t spoil it for me.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube

Personal experiences of more verbal microaggressions include:

‘Not bad for a weak / larger person’

‘I think my mates brothers kids hamster flashed that’

‘What’s he / she ever done on grit’

‘I’ll bring my own rack / rope’

‘You’ve done to much aeropow and not enough ancap’

‘Mind if I just stick the clips in this’

Apart from the first one which seems extremely rude I don't really see the problem with the rest. Doesnt seem like any of them are worth getting offended about, and the 5th one might even be constructive!

user deactivated

I can’t believe what I’m hearing! Sympathisers with the microaggression community. Just listen to yourselves 😂. What would the Buddha say? Non of it is real in a Jim Carey meltdown .styleeeE.

tomtom

• forum hero
What’s the alternative?

CrossFit?

😃

petejh

• forum hero
Is this similar to the micro traxion? Where can I get one?

reeve

• obsessive maniac

No no it's more like saying that you're only allowed to use two pads per route then top roping an E6 and proclaiming it E3  :jab:

user deactivated

Who toproped what e3?

petejh

• forum hero

No no it's more like saying that you're only allowed to use two pads per route then top roping an E6 and proclaiming it E3  :jab:

Oh. [microaggresion] And I thought grades were meaningless way-marks on an illusory path. [/microaggresion]. More fool me.

user deactivated

Fuck me. What part of satire do you choad’s not get (macro-aggression)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I was once ‘internationally blanked’ by one Sheffield based z list climbing celeb about 15 years ago. The ‘international blank’ has become a most coveted achievement on any climbing trip abroad since.

You’ve been stewing over someone not saying hello to you for longer than I’ve been climbing.

tc

• junky
I thought microaggression was when you only get pissed off at small people. Similar to Micronesia, where you only forget about small things. As opposed to Indonesia, when you forget what you ordered from the curry house.

petejh

• forum hero

Hehe we get it you helmet, it's just more fun winding you up  :jab:

Yossarian

• forum hero
With regards the blanking

I was once ‘internationally blanked’ by one Sheffield based z list climbing celeb about 15 years ago. The ‘international blank’ has become a most coveted achievement on any climbing trip abroad since. In the hope of being able to utter the expression ‘did you see that? I can’t believe it. He / she just totally internationally blanked me!’

Maybe he was having an internal debate about symbolism, states of consciousness, the unconscious and dissociative states, and confused his interaction with you as some sort of visual metaphor for his own struggle with identity and sense of self-worth?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Call that satire? Do you even lift?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I read most of his books, and still think he's a swivel eyed loon.

user deactivated

Hehe we get it you helmet, it's just more fun winding you up  :jab:

Get it? I don’t think you do....

user deactivated

I was once ‘internationally blanked’ by one Sheffield based z list climbing celeb about 15 years ago. The ‘international blank’ has become a most coveted achievement on any climbing trip abroad since.

You’ve been stewing over someone not saying hello to you for longer than I’ve been climbing.

Rather than a festering sore it’s more like practicing the art of bonsai.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal