UKBouldering.com

Microaggressions in the climbing community (Read 10968 times)

user deactivated

Just reflecting on recent negative Karma, again I must profusely apologise for not providing an entirely coherent and clear base for a discussion on said topic which is both fully formed and congruent with my internal working model. In this way providing said ‘gold’.

user deactivated

Please delete and replace with another instalment if the compulsive and excellent ‘power club’

Davo

• obsessive maniac
I enjoy your threads/topics. Keep them coming. Not really sure why you are amassing negative karma for making an interesting contribution to the site. Micro aggression was a new concept for me!

user deactivated

Who knows Dave, I have my theories though. The most likely being ukb has been taken over by the climbing equivalent of the ‘Trump Regime’ and it’s denizens have been replaced by a small number of self serious bots. Maybe Stu and Barrows are behind it, they’ve got phds or sumthiN.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
They’re Thin, but probably not Σ Thin.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Please delete and replace with another instalment if the compulsive and excellent ‘power club’

I fucking hate emotions but obviously still use them, I feel that there's no better way to respond to your comment than :lol:

user deactivated

They’re Thin, but probably not Σ Thin.

∄ thin?

user deactivated

I fucking hate emotions but obviously still use them, I feel that there's no better way to respond to your comment than :lol:

The first rule of power club is nobody talks about ‘power club’

I read an interesting bit of trivia the other day, that the term ‘snowflake’ is thought to originate from the film / book ‘Fight Club’ where the Tyler Durden character says to Marla Singer ‘you are not special, you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake’. Apparently Broflake is the male only equivalent with the added twist that a broflake pretends not to be bothered but is.

JamieG

• forum hero
I must admitted I really struggled to work out if this thread was satire or serious (or somewhere in between) at the start. And to be honest I'm still none the wiser.

If it is all satire I missed the joke . . .

However, if it is serious. It's either people just being dicks. Or they're bad at banter. If they're being dicks, ignore them. If they are trying to banter, don't take it to heart. I thought climbing was all about personal goals, you shouldn't really care what other people think. If the people you regularly climb with are being shady to you, find someone nicer to climb with. On the whole I have found the climbing community super welcoming, friendly and supportive. I suspect that is part of the reason for it's growth in popularity. It's a really nice alternative to the gym, which can be full of knobs. Yes there is banter (sometimes its harsh/dry) but this is the UK after all.

Bradders

• forum hero
I read an interesting bit of trivia the other day, that the term ‘snowflake’ is thought to originate from the film / book ‘Fight Club’ where the Tyler Durden character says to Marla Singer ‘you are not special, you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake’. Apparently Broflake is the male only equivalent with the added twist that a broflake pretends not to be bothered but is.

That's interesting. I can see the link, although I've always taken that line in the film to mean that we're all the same (as opposed, obviously, to snowflakes which are supposedly all unique), rather than in relation to any idea that we're a generation of delicate things which fall apart at the slightest touch.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D

I agree that you probably don’t deserve a full -10 on the karma front, but I imagine comments like this are perceived as disdainful, so rather than simply adding content you maybe also come across as negative towards those who do want to train and discuss that.

I like your threads, even when I don’t agree with everything you say and I think they add value and variation to the forum. Would be nice if we could all be a bit more live and let live.

I suppose in some ways the microagression thing does depend a lot on the context, and the relationship dynamics of the aggressor and aggressee, particularly with regards to the balance of power. There is probably a fine line between ‘banter’ between equals and ‘the thin edge of the wedge’.

Yesterday I climbed with someone who on sighted a route at his limit right up to the top when all he needed to do was stand on a literal ledge you could have camped on, and somehow managed to find feet either side of it and fall off. How could you not make some comment? I couldn’t.

user deactivated

It was a surrealist anti-culture power post from an internet based ivory tower where nothing is real apart from the shredded guy doing handstands.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Some times I’m in the mood for surrealist anti-culture power posts and sometimes only shredded men doing handstands will do.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The thread started in the usual DC style and didn't look particularly different from any of the others. IMO, some good points made (though I must be the most passive aggressive climber there is for logbook comments. I don't see it as being a dick, just striving to improve the information that's out there which is often hopelessly wrong), and some fairly indifferent. So far, so usual. There was a bit of discussion but as soon as Pete pointed out the hypocrisy of you complaining about microagressions (when passive aggressiveness about other people's climbing is a high percentage of your UKB presence) you played the satire card, which I don't really buy. That's why I puntered. If you're going to have opinions then argue for them, don't just claim it was a joke thread as soon as someone calls you out.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
Seemed fairly obviously satire/tongue in cheek mixed in with some commentary on how some people act at times. As I said I enjoyed it and don't really see the need for any puntering or negative karma.

user deactivated

Excellent use of satire there Will, have a wad point for not taking ones self to seriously. Would you like a guest appearance on my anti anti anti-culture Wordpress site / blog? A deep suspicion of all things popular like Jack Johnson and Joe (Tw@T)  Rogan and the particularly modern folk and the singer song writer cow pat, is essential.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
A deep suspicion of all things popular like Jack Johnson...

Is it still 2006 where you are? Would go some way to explaining the 2-pads-per-pitch rule too

user deactivated

Shit! What year is it? 2 pads per pitch only when they’re fixed to perpendicular walls with wires etc

Jack Johnson encapsulates all things wonderful*

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Just to sum this up, so far:

“This life is nothing short of a blossoming vision of higher wonder.

We heal, we exist, we are reborn. Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is transcendence.

Imagine an evolving of what could be.

If you have never experienced this metamorphosis on a cosmic scale, it can be difficult to grow. How should you navigate this divine nexus? Have you found your quest?

Where there is selfishness, potential cannot thrive. Yes, it is possible to destroy the things that can eradicate us, but not without empathy on our side. Desire is the antithesis of potentiality.

You and I are travellers of the quantum soup. The grid is beaming with superpositions of possibilities. To wander the path is to become one with it.

Self-actualization is a constant.
Illusion is born in the gap where transformation has been excluded. The complexity of the present time seems to demand a condensing of our souls if we are going to survive. Only a Indigo Child of the quantum matrix may engender this evolution of self-actualization.”

Quoted from the Master:
http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

petejh

• forum hero
Fuck me. What part of satire do you choad’s not get (macro-aggression)

Hehe we get it you helmet, it's just more fun winding you up  :jab:

Get it? I don’t think you do....

Just about everything you post on ukb must be satire because I find it impossible to take anything you say seriously! I might not think it's very good satire although the powerclub quip tickled me, nor very good philosophical musing if that's what it's meant to be, but who am I to judge. Maybe a bit of microtraxion there. I hope you keep posting because it keeps the place varied.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Just to sum this up, so far:

“This life is nothing short of a blossoming vision of higher wonder.

We heal, we exist, we are reborn. Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is transcendence.

Imagine an evolving of what could be.

If you have never experienced this metamorphosis on a cosmic scale, it can be difficult to grow. How should you navigate this divine nexus? Have you found your quest?

Where there is selfishness, potential cannot thrive. Yes, it is possible to destroy the things that can eradicate us, but not without empathy on our side. Desire is the antithesis of potentiality.

You and I are travellers of the quantum soup. The grid is beaming with superpositions of possibilities. To wander the path is to become one with it.

Self-actualization is a constant.
Illusion is born in the gap where transformation has been excluded. The complexity of the present time seems to demand a condensing of our souls if we are going to survive. Only a Indigo Child of the quantum matrix may engender this evolution of self-actualization.”

Quoted from the Master:
http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

Interesting stuff Matt.

This particularly stands out:

"Where there is selfishness, potential cannot thrive. Yes, it is possible to destroy the things that can eradicate us, but not without empathy on our side. Desire is the antithesis of potentiality"

The tension implied in this has probably been the one thing I've strived to resolve in thoughts about my own climbing.

I don't view Dan's threads as anything other than his own reflections, inviting comment and dialogue in return.

Rightly or wrongly, I see this as a possibly important invitation to ask questions that are sometimes difficult.

Questions about our own motivations are as relevant to us, as they are for everyone else, when it comes to reflecting on our own particular form of consumption and gratification - why do we do what we do? Do we need to? etc.

I think they're just as uncomfortable - and therefore unwelcome - for us too, maybe more so, because we can be so complacent.

I think they can be extremely interesting. Some things can be entertaining, some irritating, but written with the intention to satisfy in some way? No.

user deactivated

that’s gotta be another level of satire Dave as Matt was definitely taking the pisstules

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
I didn't read anything there that was much different to:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/meaning.htm

or here:

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/06/03/tolstoy-confession/

All great for reflection.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
It was a surrealist anti-culture power post from an internet based ivory tower where nothing is real apart from the shredded guy doing handstands.

Is that a dig, or am I just feeling a bit sensitive?

user deactivated

Haha definitely not a dig Dave! Matt was taking the piss, as his quote was from a ‘random bullshit generator’ from some clever person. Strangely some of it could be made into sense, but that’s the point I guess. Sticking with Pete’s microaggressions what does a quality philosophical musing look like?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal