UKBouldering.com

Mellow Yoof Vs Fred Nicole - Rockland Project Beef or As You Were? (Read 7527 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Also https://www.instagram.com/p/B2b8JO2DYRt/

Cameroni seems like a douche - saw a few comments of his being pissed off that Nalle had called something "Blade Runner", when Cameroni had used this name elsewhere. He seemed to have missed the point that this name might be rather common; hardly like a second route called "Clive Coolhead Realises the Excitement of Knowing You May be the Author of Your Own Death is More Intense Than Orgasm", which might seem a little off. Maybe I'm being harsh, but this only makes him seem more of a douche..

Fred's insta post makes it sound like he said yes to Cameroni trying it only because he was forced into a position where he had to say something and didn't want to seem unfriendly (like when people ask if they can play music at the crag - you don't want them to but don't really want to kick up a fuss)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I very much enjoy reading comments where people accuse Nicole to be a hinder for development of climbing.

That is funny.

Most funny, actually.

andy popp

• forum hero
Wow! Chad Greedy's initial post is super obnoxious.

Paul B

• forum hero
Side note: in my generation we tend not to close projects anymore, rocks are free and everyone is able to enjoy them. I found and cleaned a lot of beautiful boulders, and I always shared them with other climbers.

There has to be a certain level of respect towards people that spend time readying such things to be climbed, surely?

This reminds of the recent Caffgate.

T_B

• forum hero
Wow! Chad Greedy's initial post is super obnoxious.

+ 1. What an utter dick.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Chad Greedy sounds like the name of the villain in a live action Disney film from the early 00s.

It seems Fred Nicole isn't as pissed off about this as the lads want him to be though?

Quote from: Fred Nicole on Insta
November 2018 I had a hip replacement... When I cam back this year... I was surprised to see that my flexibility was back

What a lovely surprise! I can only assume that this is extreme modesty.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Some breathtaking obnoxious and self-serving attitudes from Mr Greedy and friends on there.
It's brainless views like his that result in areas being kept secret for years on end instead of opened for all to enjoy while some projects remain works in progress.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
He's got form; remember he was posting down here for a while, trolling the trolls etc.

Strange to me because he's a hanger-on. But then also-rans have often been the most fervent supporters of the newest shite in town.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Thanks for the links. uKB FB newsbot just posted the one from Fred so there wasn't much context. The three together at least show all the sides, and clearly Chode Greedy who didn't even climb/attempt the thing comes off worst! Seems a slightly awkward situation but at least Fred and Cameroni are being civilised.

galpinos

• forum hero

Greedy come out of this looking like a twat, Cameroni as a disrespectful limelight chaser and Fred comes across as the elder statesman he is*. I’m not sure that was the image the first two were hoping to project.

*Well, that I hope he is. I’ve always had a lot of respect for him so would be gutted to find out he was a plonker in real life.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

petejh

• forum hero
Pfft. It's hardly the Grand Canyon controversy.

FN Should still claim the FA with 1 rest.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
9a less than a year after hip replacement. Fuck

Danny

• junky
What's all this nonsense from Cameroni about about rocks being free, and everyone being able to enjoy them? Finding, cleaning and bolting stuff is not free. And there are more than enough 5* projects to go round for those that travel the world doing this kind of thing. In this context it's something of a dick move to do what he did. And I think he realises this. As far as I can see, those that develop in his generation (rather than his mates, specifically) are doing things in much the same way as has always been done: some projects are open, some aren't, and if someone has put years of effort into something and is close to doing it then the decent thing to do is leaving off it until it is bequeathed or climbed. This is my experience of developing stuff —with people two decades older and two decades younger than myself.

(Greedy's post is such drivel it doesn't warrant any consideration.)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The bit I like the least is where one of them says "in my generation we don't have closed projects". To make himself feel better about nicking Fred Nicole's project he's roped in all of "today's climbers" and decided what our rules are for us. Fuck that.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The bit I like the least is where one of them says "in my generation we don't have closed projects". To make himself feel better about nicking Fred Nicole's project he's roped in all of "today's climbers" and decided what our rules are for us. Fuck that.

Quote from: giuliano_cameroni
Side note: in my generation we tend not to close projects anymore, rocks are free and everyone is able to enjoy them.

Made me think, are there anyone of his generation that put up sport routes? (Bouldering obviously doesn't count, I've cleaned hundreds of boulders with little effort and bolted two handful of routes with enormous effort).

Where I live now I cannot thing of anyone in their twenties putting up routes. In northern Scandinavia I cannot think of anyone.

Among the world elite I can think of two climbers in their 20s putting up routes, Seb Bouin and Adam Ondra, and both of them usually respect other climbers projects. (They don't particularly need to worry about someone stealing their projects...)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I don’t know, maybe it’s the age and arthritis talking here, but...

All I’m hearing is:
A/
“Hero rock star” and self proclaimed wad + hangers on, claim victory over nature and reactionary old guard, to progress sport by exactly zero (on any metric) by achieving another problem at a grade already established many years ago. Yeeeeehaaa!

B/
“Reactionary old guard” and “Drag on progress” congratulating “Hero rock star”, whilst gently pointing out that he would have finished the project a year ago, except he had to have A HIP REPLACEMENT, but he’s done it now, despite major surgery and all the age related disadvantages he had.
(I might not know much about being a wad, but I know way too much about arthritis and age related drags on performance).

galpinos

• forum hero

Will, as a married man and a dad, you have definitely joined us in the ranks of "yesterday's climbers".....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Just one step away from cardie and pottering in the garden, or getting or road bike or taking up running.

Mr E S Capegoat

A. who’s greedy chad?
B. How come he’s mates with people on Facebook that won’t be friends with me?
C. Where does bullying come into it?

tomtom

• forum hero
Just one step away from cardie and pottering in the garden, or getting or road bike or taking up running.

Only one step? 😂

ducko

• forum abuser
FN should just leather the pair of helmets and carry on being a dude.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
A good example of nominative determinism perhaps?

Is that why you ended up in climbing and connecting yourself to ropes?

Or why i love a good full English

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal