UKBouldering.com

Sawanoboring (Read 4981 times)

user deactivated

Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 07:32:19 am
Have I just passed through a wormhole into another dimension? What’s next, TNF athletes dress as clowns and dance around an ancient burial ground while listening to Black Lace? (That actually sounds quite good)

Doylo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 08:59:21 am
Have you tried injecting over-caffeinated sugary drink company?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 09:11:52 am
For those confused there is a UKC article here about Pearson and Ciavaldi’s trip to go waterfall climbing in Japan which is an established sub-sport. Saw Pearson give a presentation on this with clips at CC AGM.

Thought it was interesting what the ethics were. Anything with Yuji in it is worth watching anyway  :bow:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 09:18:54 am
direct link.

Another Pearson-Calthingy-athon, right down to the obligatory cutesy shots of them sleeping etc. BUT otoh a quick flick through the video, the climbing looks pretty entertaining - and vastly more appealing than Scottish winter climbing.

SamT

• forum hero
#4 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 10:09:37 am
How long before people are specifically training for it.. The Works could open a room in the Winter Gardens, or perhaps a lattice facility at the Botanical Gardens completed with shower system.  :lol:

user deactivated

#5 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 07:35:54 pm
Have you tried injecting over-caffeinated sugary drink company?

What for man?

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 07:38:30 pm
I thought it was great, particularly Yuri leading that steep moss at the 4 minute mark.

AndyR

• forum hero
#7 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 09:42:38 pm
I thought it was great, particularly Yuri leading that steep moss at the 4 minute mark.
It’s like trad climbing in Wicklow!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Sawanoboring
April 05, 2019, 11:40:28 pm
Mad stuff. Brill.

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Sawanoboring
April 06, 2019, 11:47:43 am
Seriously? I don't think I've ever seen a more blatantly stupid and damaging form of climbing?!

Perhaps they could have added dry-tooling into the mix... oh wait they already did (2min36secs)

Just popping out to the Bont Du gorge to rip out all the moss and plant life, hammer in some pegs, and trash the fuck out of the rock with my axes. WTF??!!

5mins 30secs Matty Hong getting all #zenasfuck about the nature:
''This is all about being in the elements, about being in nature and being part of nature, These are moving breathing places''.
Yeah... hmmm they must have edited out the bit where he says: ''and then tearing this revered nature a completely new asshole so that we can say we climbed that mother-fucking waterfall, yeah!''.

Honestly the most stupid and irresponsible thing I think I've ever seen promoted in climbing. I can get that there may be suitable places maybe in unvegetated European canyons (maybe, I'm clutching at straws here). But there are loads of fragile vegetated gorges and waterfalls in the UK and A LOT of idiots who'd love to go out on a weekend and do this, and it would totally trash them.

Feel like I'm going all daily mail on this!

TNF: Totally Napalmed that Fucker

user deactivated

#10 Re: Sawanoboring
April 06, 2019, 03:40:00 pm
Top rantage there. The it’s like everything is breathing moment ‘wax on, wax off’

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Sawanoboring
April 08, 2019, 09:34:44 am
So much potential for that shit in Scotland. Place was made for it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#12 Re: Sawanoboring
April 08, 2019, 09:37:42 am
I.e. most of the 3 star classics.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#13 Re: Sawanoboring
April 08, 2019, 09:45:38 am
Seriously? I don't think I've ever seen a more blatantly stupid and damaging form of climbing?!

Perhaps they could have added dry-tooling into the mix... oh wait they already did (2min36secs)

Just popping out to the Bont Du gorge to rip out all the moss and plant life, hammer in some pegs, and trash the fuck out of the rock with my axes. WTF??!!

5mins 30secs Matty Hong getting all #zenasfuck about the nature:
''This is all about being in the elements, about being in nature and being part of nature, These are moving breathing places''.
Yeah... hmmm they must have edited out the bit where he says: ''and then tearing this revered nature a completely new asshole so that we can say we climbed that mother-fucking waterfall, yeah!''.

Honestly the most stupid and irresponsible thing I think I've ever seen promoted in climbing. I can get that there may be suitable places maybe in unvegetated European canyons (maybe, I'm clutching at straws here). But there are loads of fragile vegetated gorges and waterfalls in the UK and A LOT of idiots who'd love to go out on a weekend and do this, and it would totally trash them.

Feel like I'm going all daily mail on this!

TNF: Totally Napalmed that Fucker

Wow, right on Pete. Never heard of ghyll scrambling? Happens loads. The Chasm? Hell Gill? etc etc. Without wanting to comment on the ethics of axe useage, it seemed like they were climbing in a very human-unfriendly and moss-friendly environment. I'm fairly certain that the moss will grow back ferociously and quickly, and that the area affected is one microscopic percentage of the total biomass in the area. Provided that no sensitive species are being harmed it seems totally benign to me. To say it's "the most irresponsible thing promoted in climbing" is laughable. Do you know that every summer there is a constant stream of Instagram photos from people who've taken long haul flights to chase soft grades in Rocklands?

I thought you liked winter climbing? Never cleaned a crack out to get a gear placement? A fern might have wanted to call that home. Never sunk your axe into frozen turf and pulled a bit off? Never climbed on a crag which is only climable because of gardening efforts (virtually every crag in the British Isles then).

petejh

• forum hero
#14 Re: Sawanoboring
April 08, 2019, 02:55:30 pm
Wow, right on Pete. Never heard of ghyll scrambling? Happens loads. The Chasm? Hell Gill? etc etc. Without wanting to comment on the ethics of axe useage, it seemed like they were climbing in a very human-unfriendly and moss-friendly environment. I'm fairly certain that the moss will grow back ferociously and quickly, and that the area affected is one microscopic percentage of the total biomass in the area. Provided that no sensitive species are being harmed it seems totally benign to me. To say it's "the most irresponsible thing promoted in climbing" is laughable. Do you know that every summer there is a constant stream of Instagram photos from people who've taken long haul flights to chase soft grades in Rocklands?

I thought you liked winter climbing? Never cleaned a crack out to get a gear placement? A fern might have wanted to call that home. Never sunk your axe into frozen turf and pulled a bit off? Never climbed on a crag which is only climable because of gardening efforts (virtually every crag in the British Isles then).

Hi Will, yes I have heard of ghyll scrambling. In a former career I used to take people 'canyoning' or gorge scrambling in various of N.Wales' gorges. I'm familiar with the topic.

The antics in this film go far beyond your typical ghyll scramble or 'canyoning' descent' - and there is still concern about the impact of these - see this BMC report: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/gorges-conservation-and-recreation

Ghyll scrambles and canyoning descent do not typically involve pitching out leads on vegetation-covered rock. They do not involve climbing with axes. They do not involve ripping off vegetation to find holds and runners. They do not involve hammering in pegs on the lead.

I invite you, please, to go grab a group of your mates and pootle along to some waterfalls and vegetated gorges in the Lakes and North Wales and video yourselves ripping the shit out of the place in the effort to lead climb up plant and moss-covered walls. I'd give it 3 days before it raised serious concerns among the environmental folk responsible for these areas.

it seemed like they were climbing in a very human-unfriendly and moss-friendly environment.

Yes. In fact I'd say 'a very sensitive species-friendly environment.'

Yes, as long as no fragile sensitive species have been damaged it is fine, but how do you know they haven't been - it isn't exactly an obvious science and these places are exactly the sorts of places you find sensitive fragile species. Until you don't.

Yes I'm a very keen winter climber and perhaps that's why I find this film so bonkers. I (and I hope all winter climbers) do all I can to only climb on vegetated crags when the turf is frozen iron-hard. One for my own preservation but it also preserves rare species. We avoid areas, vie various voluntary bans detailed in the white guides -  containing a concentration of rare fragile species. We avoid digging away turf - why would you it's the thing that you climb! You could say I have a special interest in climbing on turfy environments and in seeing the turf remain!.

Regards mountain rock routes and flights to Rocklands - a case of whataboutery.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:08:09 pm by petejh »

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#15 Re: Sawanoboring
October 04, 2019, 09:02:34 am
Well this looks terrifying!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#16 Re: Sawanoboring
October 04, 2019, 11:37:43 am
That is mad. It's like all your climbing nightmares in one place. Climbing questionable slimy rock up through a waterfall with an unthinkable landing. Ace

colin8ll

• regular
#17 Re: Sawanoboring
October 04, 2019, 11:47:31 pm
That 'splash crux' at 8 mins is so outrageous

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#18 Re: Sawanoboring
October 05, 2019, 09:00:38 am
Wonderful stuff. Looks like the approach to some mid-wales crags.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal