UKBouldering.com

Strathnairn Guide Top problems (Read 1584 times)

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:07:15 am
Morning folks
Finally getting to the end of the Strathnairn Bouldering Guide {Hopefully out in the Autumn} and looking for a bit of consensus re a Top 50 or Top 10 problems in the Strath.

Please offer up your own Top 5{or more} so i can make a "must do" list and add it into the guide.

Obviously i will ignore any of Fiends suggestions as he Hates all that is Scottish with a furious bitterness  :P

Cheers

Rob

andy moles

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:18:49 am
Not done enough to nominate a top 5, and I think the ones that I'd nominate as 'must do' from experience are all old and obvious:

Dude
Lebowski
Farr Side Facet
Right Arete (does this actually differ from Riot Van? The arete oddly wasn't listed in the original blog that I used for reference when I first went there, so I added it to UKC but assumed it had been done. Couldn't make sense of the description for RV)

On a separate note - is the guide going to be comprehensive?

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:31:42 am
Riot Van is the lip traverse extension to Right Arete {as far as i can work out}, and Yes i also thought that this was a lovely line.
Yup ,Dude and Lebowski are both Ruthven must do's
Farr Side Facet OOOOOOOW controversial, i don't know anyone who enjoyed climbing That, do you?

comprehensive- as in all the areas and all problems in the Strath?

andy moles

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:33:16 am
comprehensive- as in all the areas and all problems in the Strath?

Aye, that.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:38:06 am
Yes, all traditional areas and loads of new stuff.

Only thing left out is Tom Riach.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:45:57 am
In that case I submit to you this:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/creag_an_reithe-30420/

Wasn't going to bother as it's so obscure and there's literally only one thing to do there, but it is actually a good problem.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 10:53:19 am
Lol, yeah i do know that wee outcrop as i followed the geology from Dunlichity west a few years back.

I think this falls decidedly under the catagory of Obscure/Top secret which i am pitching to John in a couple of weeks when he is up visiting, as a possible further Guide with additions.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:05:33 am
Following the geology, I like. Have your wanderings ever carried you up around Meall na Fuar-ghlaic? I've sometimes looked at that from a distance but the approach looks like a total arse. If that's the next frontier of the Strathnairn mission you don't have to answer.

Farr Side Facet OOOOOOOW controversial, i don't know anyone who enjoyed climbing That, do you?

Each to their own, but I'd rather have a fling at that once every few years than ever touch Barry Manilow again!

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#8 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:12:18 am
My Strathnairn knowledge is out of date nowadays, but the stand out classics for me back when it used to be my local stomping ground were:
Lebowski at Ruthven, Brin Done Before and The Scientist at Brin and Right Arete at Farr.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:29:25 am
Following the geology, I like. Have your wanderings ever carried you up around Meall na Fuar-ghlaic? I've sometimes looked at that from a distance but the approach looks like a total arse. If that's the next frontier of the Strathnairn mission you don't have to answer.

Each to their own, but I'd rather have a fling at that once every few years than ever touch Barry Manilow again!

Yeah i checked out Meall na Fuar-ghlaic and the Kelpie blocs on a sneaky mission years ago before the windfarms were put in, i just drove up and along the newly laid track in my work van. Dismissed Kelpie {as i had better things developing elsewhere}, never got a close look at Meall na Fuar-ghlaic but it looks mostly trad. Benj and Robbie walked most of the hill last year and like you thought it was a loooooong walk in for not worth it blocs unfortunatelty

:lol: yeah, each to their own, i love B M.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:30:42 am
My Strathnairn knowledge is out of date nowadays, but the stand out classics for me back when it used to be my local stomping ground were:
Lebowski at Ruthven, Brin Done Before and The Scientist at Brin and Right Arete at Farr.

Yup, they are all in Gaz :great:

andy moles

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:38:39 am
Benj and Robbie walked most of the hill last year and like you thought it was a loooooong walk in for not worth it blocs unfortunatelty

Or fortunately, depending how you look at it. Good to know, thanks.

Thomnomnom

• regular
#12 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:55:06 am
>7A
Lebowskis, Barry Span Commander, The Scientist, FSF, Susurrus.

Bonus mention: Wooden Nickles is very good and could be overlooked.

<7A
Forest Mechanics, The Dude, Brin Done Before, People That's Why, Right Arete SS.

Bonus mention: Eriophorum angustifolium for sure, but not done it.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#13 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 11:59:02 am
Barry Span is Marmite...  (that said, I'm kind of ambivalent about Marmite, so it's not a perfect analogy...)

I suspect enough people love it that it's worth going in, I just didn't like it much  :-\

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 12:00:52 pm
Barry Span is Marmite...  (that said, I'm kind of ambivalent about Marmite, so it's not a perfect analogy...)

I suspect enough people love it that it's worth going in, I just didn't like it much  :-\
Do you mean BSC at Barry Valley or Barry Manilow at Ruthven?

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 12:05:41 pm
>7A
Lebowskis, Barry Span Commander, The Scientist, FSF, Susurrus.

Bonus mention: Wooden Nickles is very good and could be overlooked.

<7A
Forest Mechanics, The Dude, Brin Done Before, People That's Why, Right Arete SS.

Bonus mention: Eriophorum angustifolium for sure, but not done it.

Yup most of them are in, another vote for Farrside Fucket :-\....interesting

Good shout on Wooden Nickles

Yup Angus is in :2thumbsup:

Cheers Tom

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#16 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 12:32:48 pm
Why the downer on Farrside Facet Rob? One of the original harder classics of Strathnairn?

I've not really tried it but it's certainly one I'd travel to try when time/life allows.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 12:42:08 pm
Why the downer on Farrside Facet Rob? One of the original harder classics of Strathnairn?

I've not really tried it but it's certainly one I'd travel to try when time/life allows.

Its a shoulder destroying nightmare :furious:, plus i'm not strong enough to see it off.

Had a few folk saying that they were glad to get it done as it wasnt comfortable climbing{skin, injury etc}

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#18 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 12:54:46 pm

Do you mean BSC at Barry Valley or Barry Manilow at Ruthven?

Ah, Barry Span Commander, but realise it was as a result of Andy's comment about Barry Manilow.

Getting me psyched to get strong again and go try the scientist at Brin - looks like it would suit me!

andy moles

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Strathnairn Guide Top problems
June 07, 2023, 01:03:45 pm
Had a few folk saying that they were glad to get it done as it wasnt comfortable climbing{skin, injury etc}

I have pathetic skin and can't stand ratty problems, but that one doesn't strike me as a bad culprit at all?

It does put quite an unusual stress on the right shoulder, but any number of boulder problems can hurt in some way if you're unlucky...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal