UKBouldering.com

Stretching and flexibility split(s) from Power Club (Read 10975 times)

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D

Question for tomtom - or anyone else - what are you doing for your hip flexibility? Some means of objectively measuring progress would be motivating. I have my own ideas but I’m curious as to what others are doing. 80% of hip flexibility exercises claimed to be relevant for climbing are complete pish (almost as laughably non-specific as the so-called core training promoted by some well-known people who should know better). For example: the ubiquitous downward facing dog. How can anyone keep a straight face and claim this has any benefit for their climbing?

I’d say that’s part of a package of more global flexibility. With little expertise I would imagine that you don’t want to simiply focus on a single stretch specific to a specific move (say a high step), you want some all round mobility.

Since doing yoga for a few months I’ve found a little effort has had quite a notable impact on how easy I find it to stick a toe or heel up high. Down dog, cobbler, pigeon are just a few things I do for all round lower limb flexibility.

yetix

• forum abuser
Going to contortion classes 1-2 times a week for a few months led to the biggest improvements in flexibility for me. I ended up being able to pancake (legs completely flat and the rest of me folded forward quite well) however I did end up hurting my groin shortly after this...

sdm

• forum abuser
Question for tomtom - or anyone else - what are you doing for your hip flexibility? Some means of objectively measuring progress would be motivating. I have my own ideas but I’m curious as to what others are doing. 80% of hip flexibility exercises claimed to be relevant for climbing are complete pish (almost as laughably non-specific as the so-called core training promoted by some well-known people who should know better). For example: the ubiquitous downward facing dog. How can anyone keep a straight face and claim this has any benefit for their climbing?

Downward dog is going to be hitting the shoulders and hamstrings more than hips for most climbers.

Some yoga poses that are more useful for hip flexibility:
Pigeon
Lizard
Horse
Frog
Fire Log
Bound Angle
Malasana squat
Skandasana
Figure 4
Cow Face
Warrior 2
Low lunge or crescent lunge
Happy Baby
Camel
Bridge

The ones nearer the top are generally more specific to climbing than the ones nearer the bottom.

There are variants of most of them to make them easier if necessary or to make them harder and/or include more of a strength element.

You want to be including strength work as well as stretching: bendy weak muscles will lead to injury problems.

tomtom

• forum hero
Duncan - got some ideas/thoughts an will post later but presently have a poorly toddler on my lap mainlining episodes of paw patrol....

But for a 49 year old inflexible punter I’ve made some quite rapid gains...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
whats the one called when you sit with your soles of your feet pressed together, and push down your knees with your elbows? That one. Our yoga teacher only uses the sanskrit names...

sdm

• forum abuser
That's bound angle pose.

tomtom

• forum hero
OK - I've been doing some hip stretches for the past 6 weeks or so. Basically I stand facing the back of a chair (for support) and spread my legs as wide as they comfortably go. Then pressing on my toes I try and squat down on one leg - then over to the other and back. Kind of like this

But maybe with my legs further apart. I then over the course of the stretches let my legs stretch/slip further apart.

My logic for this is that I'm (a) crap and inflexible when reaching footholds out wide and this helps and (b) by pushing up from the squad using my toes I'm mimicing the action of climbing (e.g. pushing through the toe) rather than just stretching.

Quite amazingly (for me) I've managed to extend my range of stretch by 25-30 cm during this period (6 weeks) and in climbing my precision in placing feet wide and (most importantly) my confidence in plonking a foot wide and using it has incresed greatly. For me specifically, on the Rib - where you plonk your left foot out on the slopey edge early on - this used to feel a real stretch and not any use. When I was last on it 2-3 weeks ago - it felt great. Out with Dolly yesterday at Frodo, I was ploking my feet wider than I usually would - not sure if Dolly noticed but it seemed unusual for my climbing and seemed to help.

BTW - pretty much all stretching I've ever done  - has done nothing. My hamstrings are so tight I can only reach my shins and downward dogs are a nightmare. This has never improved no matter what I've tried.

As a final point/Q - my 'spread' index has now reached +1". Like the ape index its the difference between how far I can spread my legs apart front on - and my height. Being 6'2" its now c. 6'3" toe to toe (new record last night..). I wonder what other peoples is?

(note all of the above is just my experimentation/thoughts/messing about. I've no idea what I'm really doing but I think its made a difference)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
TT: +2" when from cold. I could improve that for sure.

tomtom

• forum hero
TT: +2" when from cold. I could improve that for sure.

(thumbs up emoticon)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Thanks for all the suggestions.

To clarify, I’m looking for two or three stretches to improve climbing performance. I already spend 20-30 minutes most days doing auxiliary exercises - mainly to minimise the chance of another shoulder dislocation and reduce the frequency of tweaks - and I don’t want to spend a lot more time on this. I’m very good at sticking to an exercise programme but it has to be simple, rational, targeted, and measurable.

I’d like to be able to get my hips closer to the rock, especially for high steps, like an 80s French climber and bridge wider to climb routes like this:

I don’t believe flexibility has big impact on injury prevention. There is good evidence to support this  and, personally, I have had shoulder problems for ~40 years and everyone I have ever seen has said I already have quite flexible shoulders.

I’d say that’s part of a package of more global flexibility. With little expertise I would imagine that you don’t want to simiply focus on a single stretch specific to a specific move (say a high step), you want some all round mobility.

Since doing yoga for a few months I’ve found a little effort has had quite a notable impact on how easy I find it to stick a toe or heel up high. Down dog, cobbler, pigeon are just a few things I do for all round lower limb flexibility.

Good to hear flexibility can change in a realistic timescale. I’ll look up the suggestions. Agree with downward dog for shoulders but I think there are better options and I can’t see how hamstring flexibility is going to influence my climbing to any significant degree.

Going to contortion classes 1-2 times a week for a few months led to the biggest improvements in flexibility for me. I ended up being able to pancake (legs completely flat and the rest of me folded forward quite well) however I did end up hurting my groin shortly after this...

What is a contortion class? And what did you do there? A quick search suggests a pancake is something like doing the splits lying on your front. I’m so far off this it’s not true...

OK - I've been doing some hip stretches for the past 6 weeks or so. Basically I stand facing the back of a chair (for support) and spread my legs as wide as they comfortably go. Then pressing on my toes I try and squat down on one leg - then over to the other and back.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm after: directly performance-related and quantifiable. I have a spread index of -6  :o

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Agree with downward dog for shoulders but I think there are better options

What I’ve been doing lately that’s helping my chronically poor shoulder mobility is broomstick dislocate failures. (Need a better name)

I get my broomstick, grasp it with my hands just a bit too narrow to be able to actually do a full dislocate. Meaning anything less than the full length of the stick In my case. Then take it back as far as I can until – in my case at least – the pecs are the limiting factor stopping me going any further. Then stay there for a while.

With these I can get a better pec stretch, in a safer and more controlled position, than the usual against the wall pec stretch that tends to just aggravate my impingement issues. An even better whole body mobility exercise is then doing overhead squats in that shoulder position.

yetix

• forum abuser
Essentially a class for getting more flexible. Normally involves partnering up for long stretches which the partner will force you to go deeper and deeper into over a range of time (3-10mins maybe?)

The ones I go to are mostly filled with people wanting to be more flexible for pole or aerial

Definitely had the biggest impact on my flexibility though

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
So surprised this topic has stayed on point and away from filthy jokes....

Where's Doylo when you need him?

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
If I was picking only three for bridging and high steps, I would do tomtoms one:

This one:

And this one:

I’d be very careful with that though, if you have dodgy knees at all, and start basic as in the video.

tomtom

• forum hero
Colleague of mine was picking up his Tennis playing son from an event at some sporting centre of excellence somewhere near London (no idea where) - but in the large room next to where he was waiting the Jamaican sprinting team were being stretched by their physio.

He has quite a funny tale of how how he popped his head around the door and they were being stretched really hard - physio using full body weight - and lots of West Indian banter.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
All this stretching info is great- thanks all. My hip flexibility is woeful nowadays and it affects my climbing noticeably. Unfortunately pain limits my ability to some of these stretches (that pigeon one is not going to happen any time soon!) but I’ve made progress by just doing what my other half calls the “bear stretch” (you attempt to lie on your front like this) and your body weight pushes your hips out) which is gentle enough. Should hopefully be able to move on to others with time.

Interestingly I was told the other day by someone whose mate works for Lattice that their data shows that hip flexibility is as much of an indicator of how hard someone can climb as finger strength. I’ve certainly watched people cruise routes I’ve struggled on and realised that the ease with which they move is due to having their centre of gravity much closer to the wall.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Guido Köstermeyer says much the same thing in his training book. How high you can place one foot while keeping the other close to the wall is in his battery of self-tests

slab_happy

• forum hero
To clarify, I’m looking for two or three stretches to improve climbing performance.

FWIW, in "9 out of 10 Climbers" Dave Mac says:

"Sit on the floor with legs wide apart and lean forward to feel the stretch in the back and inside of the legs. Then sit against a wall with the legs pulled up and the soles of your feet touching each other. Use your arms to push your knees towards the floor to feel the inner thighs and hips stretch. Unless you have an additional flexibility problem, these two simple stretches might be all you need to do. Because the workload is low, you'll be able to clock up enough time on these two stretches that matter the most during your normal climbing or training sessions."

A.k.a. wide-legged forwards bend (which is "pancake" in its deepest form) and bound angle pose.

I personally do a lot of yoga for general maintenance (and am a big fan of Cossack squats and some of the other stuff being discussed in here), but if you had to pick just two stretches to get maximum bang for your buck for climbing purposes, specifically for high steps, turnout and bridging, you could probably do a lot worse than those.

Also you can sit on the floor and do them while watching TV.

saltbeef

• forum hero
Long rambling post alert

To provide a counter argument. I have found yoga and passive stretching to provide minimal progress in terms of gaining flexibility. I have always been really inflexible from doing shitloads of running as a youth but over the last year this has massively improved.

What have I done differently? “Mobility work “. Wade through YouTube and Instagram for this stuff. Typically it involves moving in and out of positions and holding at the end (for 10-30secobds), or loaded mobility (strength training to get increased range of motion).

What do I have to back this up . Science and anecdote.

I think someone commented earlier you don’t want weak floppy muscles you want to be able to stick your foot up high and stand on it. Same goes for your shoulders. Mobile but strong.

Paradoxically I have recently started doing some more passive stretching but usually using PNF style stuff. This is because although I think my mobility has improved, I “think “ that a bit of passive stretching reduces resting tone (and I’m hoping this will increase gainz).

So what am I doing- 2 sessions a week ideally on something (usually hip/middle splits /pancake that is strength oriented) then just general mobility work every day. Also look up compression strength gymnasts use (for stuff like press handstand)

Good starts I think are
https://gmb.io
Ido portal (twat but a nimble twat)

Loads of free knowledge and easily understood
Not as fuckng boring as stretching and yields results.
Also view it as training and measure your progress as it’s slow but does happen

(Your exercise when not in Sanskrit yoga TomTom is a Cossack squat and the other one is tailor pose )

user deactivated

......and I was imagining you down the local yoga studio sorting out that flatulence mate.... never hold onto gas, my gran used to say.

saltbeef

• forum hero
I’m zen as fuck

tomtom

• forum hero
I’m zen as fuck

Cheers for the post SB. Kinda agree with your main post. In climbing it’s not just about getting your foot somewhere it’s about being able to load it and maybe drive off it... which I why I felt the Cossack squats helped. A bit...

slab_happy

• forum hero
I think someone commented earlier you don’t want weak floppy muscles you want to be able to stick your foot up high and stand on it. Same goes for your shoulders. Mobile but strong.

Fair point; I was going to mention something about working on "active flexibility"/mobility as well as passive, but then the caffeine levels in my bloodstream dropped too low.

Passive flexibility is how far you can lift your foot up with your hand, active is how far you can lift it with your leg muscles, basically.

I do think there's a role for passive stretching, but range of motion is no practical use unless you can control it (and having muscular strength at your end range can actually increase your passive flexibility, since a lot of this stuff seems to be about convincing your nervous system that it's safe to allow motion to that range).

One strategy is doing stuff like "hand-to-big-toe pose" (a hamstring stretch), standing or lying down, where you're using your hand or a strap to help pull your leg high, doing the passive stretch for a bit -- then letting go, and seeing if/how long you can hold your leg in place with your own muscles.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
As a sample of one, I know high steps and topping out are much clumsier coming back to climbing after a long break, and running/cycling too much. The voice in my head keeps shouting 'knee!' when I hash up yet another finish. Trying to address.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Following the specificity principle I'd think that active stretching is better to increase the active range of motion and passive stretching better for increasing the passive range of motion. I'm not sure that this in line with my own experience, or with common practice in sports and activities that require a big active range of motion; in classical dance e.g. they do a lot of (very brutal) passive stretching.

To this end I spent a fruitless hour on scholar.google trying to find any studies where the active range was evaluated after passive vs active stretching; the only thing I learned is that PNF stretching is worse than normal stretching on every measure. The other thing I learned is that basically no one has published a paper about the long term effects of stretching. Most studies investigate stretching on short term (less than a few months) or ultra short term (less than a month).

So if someone could point me to a peer reviewed article where it is shown that active stretching is better than passive for increasing the active range of motion I'd be very grateful.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Interestingly I was told the other day by someone whose mate works for Lattice that their data shows that hip flexibility is as much of an indicator of how hard someone can climb as finger strength. I’ve certainly watched people cruise routes I’ve struggled on and realised that the ease with which they move is due to having their centre of gravity much closer to the wall.

How do the Lettuce people measure hip flexibility? 

Guido Köstermeyer says much the same thing in his training book. How high you can place one foot while keeping the other close to the wall is in his battery of self-tests

This is just the kind of thing I’m after. Kostermayer’s book (Assume you mean Peak Performance?) doesn’t seem to be available in English, despite its title. However, elsewhere you say:

Stand with feet pointing forwards, toes 23cm from a wall. Hands flat on the wall at shoulder height & width. With supporting foot and both hands remaining flat on the floor/wall, how high can you touch the wall with one foot? The foot cannot go outside the width of the hands.

Standard values are:

UIAA VII (6b): 102 cm
UIAA VIII (7a): 108 cm
UIAA IX (7c): 114 cm

Extrapolating, I should be climbing about 4+

A bit of searching found the adapted Grant foot raise test (Draper et al 2009) which appears to be very similar to Kostermayer’s test. Whoever thought of it first, it seems quite specific, fairly reliable, and has some association with grade climbed. There is a lot to criticise about the paper, not least that measures are absolute length rather than relative to climber’s height, but it’s a start.

Following the specificity principle I'd think that active stretching is better to increase the active range of motion and passive stretching better for increasing the passive range of motion. I'm not sure that this in line with my own experience, or with common practice in sports and activities that require a big active range of motion; in classical dance e.g. they do a lot of (very brutal) passive stretching.

To this end I spent a fruitless hour on scholar.google trying to find any studies where the active range was evaluated after passive vs active stretching; the only thing I learned is that PNF stretching is worse than normal stretching on every measure. The other thing I learned is that basically no one has published a paper about the long term effects of stretching. Most studies investigate stretching on short term (less than a few months) or ultra short term (less than a month).

So if someone could point me to a peer reviewed article where it is shown that active stretching is better than passive for increasing the active range of motion I'd be very grateful.

As I expect you know, much sport science research is “self-funded” - BSc or MSc projects - so adequate sample-size and follow-up duration are very much the exception.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
How do the Lettuce people measure hip flexibility? 

No idea I’m afraid. Perhaps one of them will post on here and illuminate us.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
@Duncan: Köstermeyer does indeed give Draper 2009 as his source, well sleuthed

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
Thanks for sharing that foot lift test, interesting stuff. Measuring it as a percentage of height would surely be more useful though? Mine is 103cm or 6b by Kostermeyers measure - a wildly inaccurate grade prediction. Or 63% of my height.

I'm pretty sure Lattice measure side splits (feet facing the wall) as a percentage of height for their basic assessment at least.

Personally I think foot raise is a more useful attribute as you lose so much reach when you do very wide side steps and I'm really inflexible that way. The key thing with foot raises seems to be your ability to maintain CoG close to the rock as you do them.
There also seems to be a much lower general requirement for hip mobility in outdoor climbing compared to comp climbing. I can think of a few 8c and 8B wads with pretty poor hip turnout, but no comp wads..

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
also seems to be a much lower general requirement for hip mobility in outdoor climbing compared to comp climbing. I can think of a few 8c and 8B wads with pretty poor hip turnout, but no comp wads..

It is pretty easy to find routes in the 8s that requires little flexibility. Basically any route/boulder on a 30 deg overhang on featured rock with plenty of feet will do. You get no price for guessing what kind of route old inflexible climbers prefer...

Good luck on old school Verdon test pieces or new school roofs though...

tomtom

• forum hero
118cm with no stretching beforehand. 120 didn’t feel out of reach.

Time to get in those 9a’s? :)

Duma

• forum hero
Give us percentage of your height tt

If we assume Av male height =177cm and this was what the "standard values" were derived from, then 6b=58%, 7a=61%, and 7c=64%

tomtom

• forum hero
Give us percentage of your height tt

If we assume Av male height =177cm and this was what the "standard values" were derived from, then 6b=58%, 7a=61%, and 7c=64%

Didn’t see the percentage normalisation. 64%

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I got 83cm, 48.5%.  :'(

petekitso

• player
Uh -oh, 91cm (51% (and I am not rehabbing after a serious accident or anything)).

Something else to work on, I should probably read the rest of the thread . . .

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
Is this the highest foot, or an average of the feet?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
95cm / 54%, test is clearly bullshit as it's more about core strength and balance rather than flexibility. Still I'm quite happy as a predicted sub F6b climber, I'm overperforming nicely. ::)

Avg male height is waaaay more than 177 cm surely.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Wouldn't where you can place your foot relative to body parts be a better guage - how many cms above or below knee, thigh, hip, belly button, chest, shoulder, head, etc.

Just did it quickly and roughly (away from home with no measuring devices) and came out at 5cm above belly button.

tomtom

• forum hero
I think it’s a GREAT test*

*its the only metric i do vaguely well on!! :D

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
95cm / 54%, test is clearly bullshit as it's more about core strength and balance rather than flexibility.

Did you do it right? Not sure you can classify lifting one leg off the floor with both hands leaning on the wall a test of balance or core strength!

Murph

• forum abuser
112cm/170cm height = 65%

Both absolute and relative measures surely have some explanatory power. No doubt the shorter climber needs more relative flexibility for a given grade.

On the broader thread - thanks for sharing the stretches guys. That pigeon I remember was one that honnold did as his morning routine. I can’t even get into the most elementary beginner version of it...

I’ve been trying a stretch where you lie on your back, cross your left foot on top of your right quad and then pull your right thigh towards your face. You feel it in the glute. It feels really good. Can reach my toes these days relatively ok but know it’s more about a hinge movement pattern.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
112cm/170cm height = 65%

I’ve been trying a stretch where you lie on your back, cross your left foot on top of your right quad and then pull your right thigh towards your face. You feel it in the glute. It feels really good. Can reach my toes these days relatively ok but know it’s more about a hinge movement pattern.

That's an adapted form of pigeon, just in a more accessible way. Don't be tempted to force it hard, it isn't just your glute where you can feel tension, it's the high hamstring insertion.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
95cm / 54%, test is clearly bullshit as it's more about core strength and balance rather than flexibility.

There is a certain amount of skill required. The testing protocol in the paper was best of three after a standard but not described warm-up. I think this may underestimate the learning effect and if you're interested in tracking change over time I'd suggest keep trying until you plateau.

61% (106/175cm) for the right; 58% (101cm) for the left.

[>2 seconds hold, feet 23cm from the wall, hands and feet 45cm (shoulders width) apart, hands at shoulder height.]

112cm/170cm height = 65%

Both absolute and relative measures surely have some explanatory power. No doubt the shorter climber needs more relative flexibility for a given grade.

Shouldn't be difficult to test. Anyone fancy collecting the data and doing some simple number crunching?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

112cm/170cm height = 65%

Shouldn't be difficult to test. Anyone fancy collecting the data and doing some simple number crunching?

They tested both in the paper, and both were significant, or am I hallucinating?

Murph

• forum abuser
Jwi - have I missed the paper? Saw Duncan’s link but was just to abstract from what I could tell?

Mr jonathan - thanks for the words of caution. As someone posted about pigeon I can feel the need to be careful of knees.

Duncan - love the idea of a big number crunch but these things are really hard not just what inputs but what solid dependent variable to choose. It’s worth some serious thought tho.

Murph

• forum abuser
Carrying on the tradition of men posting on behalf of their womenfolk....

Current future ex mrs murph:
112cm/170cm = 65%
So just like me but a 6B rather than 7B climber.

Also googled for a link to the study I could read: flexibility assessment and the role of flexibility as a determinant of performance in rock climbing

Interesting study. The test we have been doing correlated fairly weakly with rock climbing performance compared to a more specific high step test. Also, the range is really small (“novices” perform at 90% of the level of “elites”) which would make self reported measurement a problem.

The high step test though looks a bit more relevant with novices performing at 80% of the level of elites and having more explanatory power. But that would be impossible for us to independently report even if we wanted to.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:51:43 am by Murph »

remus

• forum hero
I'm pretty sure Lattice measure side splits (feet facing the wall) as a percentage of height for their basic assessment at least.

Yes, that's the test we use at the moment.

There also seems to be a much lower general requirement for hip mobility in outdoor climbing compared to comp climbing. I can think of a few 8c and 8B wads with pretty poor hip turnout, but no comp wads..

Might be because you can be more selective as an outdoor climber? If your hip mobility is poor you can always focus on problems that don't require it. As a comp climber you'll need to be more versatile.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Jwi - have I missed the paper? Saw Duncan’s link but was just to abstract from what I could tell?

Yeah, I downloaded the full paper.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:58:17 am by jwi »

cowboyhat

• forum hero

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
I’ve started adding Eagle arms to my yoga routine as upper back often feels very tight. Really feels awesome. On the injury prevention balance side rather than performance.

tomtom

• forum hero
I’ve started adding Eagle arms to my yoga routine as upper back often feels very tight. Really feels awesome. On the injury prevention balance side rather than performance.

Its a good one - especially when standing on one leg etc...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal