UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Grit Volume 1 alternative (Read 2547 times)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Yorkshire Grit Volume 1 alternative
March 31, 2019, 02:48:14 pm
I see that the first Total Climbing Yorkshire Grit Bouldering guide is not available anymore (sold out I guess). I've got Volume 2 and was wondering what the best alternative is for areas included in Volume 1 - Almscliffe etc.
I don't have the new YMC grit guides so no idea what they're like for bouldering. Am not near a shop so can't really have a flick through

Bradders

• forum hero
I'd actually say the YMC grit guides are better, for bouldering, than the dedicated bouldering guides. More detailed, better descriptions and more comprehensive in my opinion.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I never got much use out of my bouldering specific guides before the definitives came out. Since they did I haven't used anything else. Only disadvantage is that if you're a dedicated boulderer you'll be carrying around a lot of trad with you.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Definitives are ace if you don't mind all the ledge-shuffling toss they're padded out with ;)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Looks like I'll get YMC volume 1 which should do me. I barely use the Peak bouldering guide since the great guide revamp so good to know the Yorks guides are I'm similar vein.
Just for the record I do also climb routes so any excuse to get a new guide. Hope the history section is good. Personally I was gutted when they amalgamated all the history into one for the John Dunne on the cover guide. The old one by Graham D was brilliant as each crag had its own history section which was cool. That cover was my main motivation for trying Big Greeny

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
The YMC grit volumes are my favourite of any guide I worked on. History sections are superb. Usability is great, inspirational route text  and much besides.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Hope the history section is good.

Well, I've read the Allan Austin interview about 10 times now......

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Hope the history section is good.

Well, I've read the Allan Austin interview about 10 times now......

Look forward to it.

I love that photo of him on Beeline. Rope hanging useless. It's so old school, leader must not fall and all that

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal