UKBouldering.com

Really good podcasts (Read 85871 times)

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#300 Re: Really good podcasts
December 20, 2021, 09:09:41 am
Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I've not read the whole thread) but Life Lessons: From Sport and Beyond, previously called Don't Tell Me The Score when in the BBC stable, by sports journalist Simon Mundie is excellent.

It's essentially an interview with a sportsperson or someone involved in sport (coaches, psychologists), and delves into their philosophies, mindset and techniques as well as often some great stories.

Simon really knows his stuff and I think is a great interviewer who does a lot of research and preparation.

Most episodes have a distinct topic and he's interviewed some interesting people, including Jonny Wilkinson, Tony Adams, Chris Hoy, Damon Hill etc and more olympians than you can shake a stick at.

Ep 10 is Alex Honnold and well worth a listen.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#301 Re: Really good podcasts
January 06, 2022, 01:29:36 pm
The first anniversary of the attack on The Capitol is a good day to recommend The Coming Storm (BBC Sounds) on the roots, growth, and influence of QAnon.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#302 Re: Really good podcasts
January 06, 2022, 02:56:02 pm
The American Climbing Podcast is no more US-centric than many of the other popular climbing podcasts and in some ways deals with more universal subjects.

Any vaguely intelligent football fan will enjoy Football Clichés if they’re not aware of it already. Start with the Best of 2021 episodes they put out at Christmas but unlike most football podcasts it’s only ever partly related to the events of the previous few days so you can go back and enjoy past episodes at your leisure.

remus

• forum hero
#303 Re: Really good podcasts
January 06, 2022, 04:18:14 pm
A bit off topic (as it's a shit podcast), but Climbing Sparkling Moments by la sportiva is worth avoiding! On the surface it's got a pretty good line up, but I tried listening to episode 7 and it's basically just completely wrong throughout (apparently it's Sam Whittaker taking the big lob at the start of hard grit?!) Maybe some of the other episodes are better but Im not confident based on what I've heard so far.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#304 Re: Really good podcasts
January 06, 2022, 04:26:57 pm
The American Climbing Podcast is no more US-centric than many of the other popular climbing podcasts and in some ways deals with more universal subjects.

It’s actually called the American Climbing Project   :look:

Droyd

• addict
#305 Re: Really good podcasts
January 06, 2022, 04:36:54 pm
A bit off topic (as it's a shit podcast), but Climbing Sparkling Moments by la sportiva is worth avoiding! On the surface it's got a pretty good line up, but I tried listening to episode 7 and it's basically just completely wrong throughout (apparently it's Sam Whittaker taking the big lob at the start of hard grit?!) Maybe some of the other episodes are better but Im not confident based on what I've heard so far.

I took a listen out of curiosity, and felt compelled to transcribe the following, bearing in mind this is a Sportiva-funded podcast featuring James Pearson, Hazel Findlay, and Neil Gresham:

"The film opens with Sam Whittaker's fall from Gaia, a boulder initially climbed toprope by Johnny Dawes, on which you have to adhere yourself to the sandstone face more than climbing on obvious holds. ... Towards the middle of the boulder a couple of of cracks represent the only possibility for placing a chock or cramming device, and should you fall the probability of hitting the ground is high."

Magic - particularly 'cramming device', which comes up a few times.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#306 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 08:29:50 am
I listened to one and thought it was pretty terribly, much better things to spend your time on.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#307 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 09:33:22 am
BBC iPlayer has a good one called "What's Funny About..." with breaks down a number of key comedy classics, often interviewing key players involved in their creation.

I listened to the "The Office" one the other day. TBH I can take or leave Ricky Gervais, and a lot of his more recent stuff, but it was really interesting to hear him "straight", just talking about the amount of thought that went into creating it as well as his influences.

The Have I Got News For You One is good too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#308 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 09:48:45 am
Did you recommend the Power of Three? Podcast where comedians / actors / writers talk about their favourite funny stuff, from film to TV to cartoon and comic strips. Charlie Brooker on Airplane! is especially good.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#309 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 10:16:10 am
I did.

The Airplane one, and the Miles Jupp one on Frasier are both top-notch.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#310 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 10:30:33 am
Thought I'd just post some appreciation for this thread. I generally give most recommendations a listen and have enjoyed lots of them. Some recent highlights that have come from this thread...

The rest is history I use this when I've enjoyed a book/film/article and need a bit of background. Very accessible.

Cautionary Tales mentioned a few times on here but worth mentioning again. The first series especially should be essential listening for everyone in engineering or in fact anyone with any job, or even anyone who does anything. Great stuff.

the fault line - first series on Blair, bush & iraq and the real science of sport been new to me this year and much enjoyed

SA Chris

• forum hero
#311 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 10:40:06 am
I did.

Retrospective waddage. Shame they seem to have stopped doing them.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#312 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 11:20:05 am
I did.

The Airplane one, and the Miles Jupp one on Frasier are both top-notch.

I did too.  I really liked the Airplane and Frasier episode, plus the one on Garth Merenghi's Dark Place (obvious choices, given the quality of writing).  But a more surprising highlight was the episode on Bottom - lots of interesting "insider" detail about the role of studio audiences and the difficulties of choreographing slapstick (especially with a limited props budget) etc.

crzylgs

• stalker
#313 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 11:34:34 am

Cautionary Tales mentioned a few times on here but worth mentioning again. The first series especially should be essential listening for everyone in engineering or in fact anyone with any job, or even anyone who does anything. Great stuff.

I know this is a section to recommend content we have enjoyed and I completely agree with you that Series 1 was fantastic! I absolutely loved the process via which he would cross reference numerous historical lessons and combine with relevant human psychology based lessons.

This leads me on to noticing that you highlighted series 1... Did you also feel like series 2 (I think its series 2, whatever the more recent episodes are from) was a drop in quality? I was really disappointed with the couple of episodes I listened to in the more recent series to the point that I very nearly rage unsubscribed. I resisted the urge but haven't listened to any more. They both felt essentially like 'gotchas' but he left out all the 'gotcha' clues and really didn't have any clever lessons contained within. Don't want this thread to descend into a shitting competition (which I'm sure it wont!) but I would be interested if anyone else agreed?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#314 Re: Really good podcasts
January 07, 2022, 12:02:46 pm
Thought I'd just post some appreciation for this thread. I generally give most recommendations a listen and have enjoyed lots of them. Some recent highlights that have come from this thread...

The rest is history I use this when I've enjoyed a book/film/article and need a bit of background. Very accessible.

the fault line - first series on Blair, bush & iraq and the real science of sport been new to me this year and much enjoyed

Agree totally with all of these, especially Cautionary Tales, I really like all of them, although the ones that really stand out are the airship one; the British guy who invented tank warfare and Blitzkrieg and gave it to the Nazis; and the tanker which ran aground on the Seven Sisters. Tim Harford is brilliant: I bought and read his recent book How to Make the World Add Up which I would highly recommend to anyone who ever watches the news, or looks at statistics.

I have recently listened to a few episodes of Grace Dent's podcast Comfort Eating among many other things, which is sometimes funny and engaging but definitely worth being selective about which ones you listen to, as I found some a bit dull.

Americast has put a few episodes up recently, I really like this even when the state of American politics is pretty depressing, as all 3 of the presenters are funny, and very knowledgeable on the subject as far as I can tell.

I'd also add another plug for Doomsday Watch.

TobyD

• forum hero
#315 Re: Really good podcasts
January 18, 2022, 05:35:51 pm
The first anniversary of the attack on The Capitol is a good day to recommend The Coming Storm (BBC Sounds) on the roots, growth, and influence of QAnon.

Agreed, well narrated and paced.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#316 Re: Really good podcasts
January 20, 2022, 01:06:27 pm
Have recently started listening to Cautionary Tales following the recommendations on this thread and am really enjoying it - thank you!

On a side note, has anyone heard the ad for a podcast called Uncanny? It came up at the end of More or Less for me. There's a voice on it describing a poltergeist sighting, that sounds exactly like Grimer...  :-\

TobyD

• forum hero
#317 Re: Really good podcasts
February 12, 2022, 02:40:58 pm
Even if you dislike the Times newspaper, their current podcast series 'The Messiah and his kittens' is well worth a listen. Investigation into a Turkish cult in 4 parts.

TobyD

• forum hero
#318 Re: Really good podcasts
March 07, 2022, 01:11:27 pm
https://open.spotify.com/episode/70PRmBVXnLj3jh8RWFdpQu?si=j0gw-VbaQCq_XBrXLfAZ5g&utm_source=copy-link

Entertaining conversation between Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart with some good anecdotes

TobyD

• forum hero
#319 Re: Really good podcasts
March 19, 2022, 05:45:10 pm
Nazanin, an excellent documentary by a good journalist:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0015zvg

TobyD

• forum hero
#320 Re: Really good podcasts
March 29, 2022, 05:33:25 pm
Some recent listens which are recommended:

The Rest is Politics - improving with each episode and a bit more structure. Despite the name it tends not to dwell too much on Westminster and they have some pretty good stories about past events.

The Rest is History - doing a four part history of the Falklands War at the moment, which is very good.

Cautionary Tales - just started new series with a decent first episode about a building collapse in the US, and the ludicrously simple fault which no-one spotted until it killed over a hundred people.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#321 Re: Really good podcasts
April 06, 2022, 06:35:52 am
Thanks for The Rest is History recommendation. Have really enjoyed this one. Very varied and the presenters are easy to listen to.

Cautionary Tales: some of these are good but others not so much and certainly I prefer More or Less.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#322 Re: Really good podcasts
April 10, 2022, 10:40:24 pm
Listened to the first two episodes of The Invention of Poland today after hearing an advert, incredibly interesting history into eastern Europe with reference to/some context of the current conflict, looking forward to hearing the rest of the series. Realised they have made them about lots of countries so that's my commute listening sorted this week.

TobyD

• forum hero
#323 Re: Really good podcasts
April 17, 2022, 11:28:57 pm
the rest is history has an excellent Easter episode on crucifixion.  I expected to listen to a few minutes and get bored, but found this one unexpectedly fascinating. 

no such thing as a fish basically mildly geeky,  amusing trivia but a good cheerful listen.

TobyD

• forum hero
#324 Re: Really good podcasts
May 04, 2022, 09:57:44 am
The Backstory Andrew Neil interviews credible people on current events. The first one with General David Petraus is interesting. Whatever you think of him, he's clearly got decades of military experience and he regards Russian strategy and tactics in Ukraine as extremely amateurish, and thinks that they are more likely to fail than not.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal