UKBouldering.com

Really good podcasts (Read 85819 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#25 Re: Really good podcasts
June 15, 2019, 10:54:59 pm
Don't tell me the score on BBC, has an episode with Alex Honnold about fear. Not listened yet, sounds good though.

There have been some other pretty interesting pods in that series, entirely dependent on the contributor though - some have just seemed like adverts for "lifestyle" books.

The Honnold one was really good, in my opinion. He has an interesting analysis of fear and risk.

Duma

• forum hero
#26 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 08:31:24 am
https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/sierra-blair-coyle

Not listened yet, but his should be interesting

Ged

• junky
#27 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 09:14:07 am
I listened to this reluctantly, and was quite glad I did.  I thought she came across well, and I did ened up feeling slightly bad about how she's been portrayed.  Clearly she does an awful lot of self promotion, but she definitely came across as someone who is deeply committed to being a comp climber, and on the side does modelling etc.  I was left feeling that she's previously been written off as a serious climber because she's good looking.  Which seems harsh. 

tomrainbow

• player
#28 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 09:32:35 am
It's a problem I have been battling with all my climbing life too, Ged!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#29 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 10:53:57 am
Don't tell me the score on BBC, has an episode with Alex Honnold about fear. Not listened yet, sounds good though.

There have been some other pretty interesting pods in that series, entirely dependent on the contributor though - some have just seemed like adverts for "lifestyle" books.

The Honnold one was really good, in my opinion. He has an interesting analysis of fear and risk.

Agreed - cheers for the tipoff, that's a really good podcast in general. Listened to the Steve Peters one last night which was interesting, if a bit frustrating as I felt he didn't probe / clarify enough.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#30 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 12:45:13 pm
Just enjoyed a morning binge of the Jon Ronson on...' series, available on BBC sounds.

Interesting snippets of different lives, reminiscent of 'This American Life' series. ~20 mins each (I recommend 'Aiming low' discussing Frank Sidebottom and a chap who got fired by Walt Disney.)

danm

• junky
#31 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 06:25:00 pm
The KLF story on BBC Sounds is good in a slightly annoying way. The story content itself is properly crackers.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: Really good podcasts
June 19, 2019, 09:13:26 pm
Just enjoyed a morning binge of the Jon Ronson on...' series, available on BBC sounds.

Interesting snippets of different lives, reminiscent of 'This American Life' series. ~20 mins each (I recommend 'Aiming low' discussing Frank Sidebottom and a chap who got fired by Walt Disney.)

Jon Ronson's Butterfly Effect series is well worth a listen if you havent checked that out already

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#33 Re: Really good podcasts
June 20, 2019, 12:42:28 am

Jon Ronson's Butterfly Effect series is well worth a listen if you havent checked that out already

A mate got me to listen to that in January. Unfortunately my review was thus:
It's very interesting as a case study on what happens when a journalist is commissioned to produce 7 episodes of scintillating intrigue, has a great time in LA on expenses, records hours of audio, but ultimately finds no story whatsoever. They are then forced to tie it all together with some loose narrative about how the internet destroyed civilisation. He may as well blame Henry ford for greenhouse gas emissions.

:sorry:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Really good podcasts
June 20, 2019, 12:56:02 am
thought butterfly effect was listenable and entertaining enough.  stupid name though as it definitely wasn't a butterfly effect.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#35 Re: Really good podcasts
June 20, 2019, 06:17:09 am

A mate got me to listen to that in January. Unfortunately my review was thus:
It's very interesting as a case study on what happens when a journalist is commissioned to produce 7 episodes of scintillating intrigue, has a great time in LA on expenses, records hours of audio, but ultimately finds no story whatsoever. They are then forced to tie it all together with some loose narrative about how the internet destroyed civilisation. He may as well blame Henry ford for greenhouse gas emissions.

:sorry:

Good summary, Will. I'm not interested in the bigger picture though, the loose narrative and recordings are more than interesting enough for my commuting needs. Similarly, Adam Curtis docs have great music...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: Really good podcasts
June 20, 2019, 06:45:33 am
You're onto something there Guy. I did listen to them all so clearly didn't think it was bad!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#37 Re: Really good podcasts
June 20, 2019, 09:12:16 am
Very loosely based on football the Athletico Mince podcast is hilarious. Bob Mortimer (Middlesborough) and Andy Dawson (Sunderland) talk nonsense, take the piss out of each other (Bob is convinced everyone from Sunderland take their dog for walks in a pram, drink blue drink and eat chicken dippers) and tell fictional tales incorporating football players and made up characters.
The Peter Beardsley tales can sometimes leave me in tears of laughter.
Fairly certain some of it is "wrong".

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Re: Really good podcasts
June 20, 2019, 11:54:29 am
The KLF story on BBC Sounds is good in a slightly annoying way. The story content itself is properly crackers.

Thanks for the reminder Dan. Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06x35s5

Recommended further reading: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780226551/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Lv2cDbH2FM2S5

Drummond's book 45 is also very good.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#39 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 12:00:51 am
This is also a good read bout KLF
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/27/return-of-the-klf-bill-drummond-jimmy-cauty

'a kilted Drummond stalking the stage, supported by a crutch, barking the lyrics over ENT’s barrage of noise, and finally machine-gunning the audience with blanks. (“They cut our guitars right down,” says Jones, “but at least we made Noel Edmonds cry”.)'

They really had a proper go. Hilarious and outrageous in equal measure.

Podcasts - I love the scripted ones, fiction and non- fiction. I really liked Limetown, Wolverine and especially We're Alive for fiction and Crimetown and They Walk Among Us for non-fiction.

Duma

• forum hero
#40 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 06:09:47 am
https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/sierra-blair-coyle

Not listened yet, but his should be interesting

I listened to this reluctantly, and was quite glad I did.  I thought she came across well, and I did ened up feeling slightly bad about how she's been portrayed.  Clearly she does an awful lot of self promotion, but she definitely came across as someone who is deeply committed to being a comp climber, and on the side does modelling etc.  I was left feeling that she's previously been written off as a serious climber because she's good looking.  Which seems harsh.

Have had a chance to listen now, and agree, I did end up thinking back to my initial reaction to that Bisharat peice and feeling pretty bad. on an unrelated note, I'm pretty amazed that she's only recently started fingerboarding!!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#41 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 08:50:50 am
Useful thread. I've subscribed to a few that have been mentioned. The Allusionist, 13 Minutes to the Moon, Slow Burn, Love + Radio and Charles Dexter. Quite a bit to go at.

I've listen to the bic/biro episode of the Allustionist and can report that it was enjoyable and easy listening, my only complaint it that it felt a bit light on information. Thanks for the tip off.

Here some that I have enjoyed.

Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder - this is a piece of investigative journalism into an unsolved murder from the 80's. Seemingly Daniel was murdered because he was about to go the press with a explosive story about police corruption. The murder in itself is a great story but the links that spawn out are incredible. Direct links can be drawn all the way to Leverson and the delay in Leverson 2. There was meant to be further episodes (focusing on Leverson and Leverson 2) but it's gone quite for nearly a year now. Perhaps they also knew too much! It's not quite as polished as some of the bbc, npr but I really enjoyed it.

RadioLab - as previously mentioned. And also it's offspring More Perfect which is about the American Supreme Court and Constitution. It will make you thankful we don't base all our laws on a 200 year old text.

More or Less - radio 4 show about statistics that appear in the media and their validity.

S-town - a stand alone series of 12 episodes and quite compulsive listening.

The Writer's Voice - this is from the New Yorker magazine and features writers reading their own short stories. I've enjoyed every one I've listened to. It's nice because lots of the other podcasts I listen too are either news or information. Whereas, this is just good fiction.

On that note. Snap Judgement - this is true stories from peoples lives. I always feel like I should like this but keep going back to it - it's one of my favourites.

Limetown - fictional 12 parter (also a new series now that I've not yet listened to). Very good and compulsive listening.

Bespoke cycling podcast from the BBC or/and The Cycling Podcast - if you are into cycling.

grimer

• forum hero
#42 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 10:30:50 am
Has the number of podcasts exploded in the last year or two? It seems to me like it has.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#43 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 08:34:15 pm
Has the number of podcasts exploded in the last year or two? It seems to me like it has.

Yep, seems like there are millions out there now. There's a pretty cool podcast called Jam Crack about climbing. Have you heard of it?

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#44 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 08:37:36 pm

S-town - a stand alone series of 12 episodes and quite compulsive listening.

Bespoke cycling podcast from the BBC or/and The Cycling Podcast - if you are into cycling.

S Town is really really good.

I love the cycling podcast too. Their coverage of giro/tour/vuelta is brilliant.

TobyD

• forum hero
#45 Re: Really good podcasts
June 21, 2019, 11:01:18 pm
History of capitalism on BBC sounds.  Excellent.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#46 Re: Really good podcasts
July 02, 2019, 01:30:01 pm
Thirteen Minutes to the Moon. Series documenting the first moon landing and how it was done, told through the lens of the difficult final descent.

Very interesting indeed and quite inspiring what can be done when heaps of money and political will is thrown at something. I'm always staggered at the level of forward planning required on space missions. And it's very illuminating to see just how much the investment in the programme drove forward technological advancement.

Also enjoying this. It’s a complete geek-out which i totally approve: at the time I was a 9 year old who built a replica Apollo capsule from chairs and a duvet in his bedroom.

The Hans Richter theme music - like aural Monosodium Glutamate - gets tiresome very quickly. 

The older version of me would also be interested in  something that considered  the cultural impact of the moon landings beyond 9 year old’s bedrooms. Hopefully they would play this:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#47 Re: Really good podcasts
July 02, 2019, 02:22:16 pm
Quote from: Yossarian link=topic=29949.msg581255#msg581255 date=1553008468
Have been meaning to start How To Fail with Elizabeth Day, but not had a chance yet...
[/quote

The missus recommended this to me and I've just started dipping in and out - definitely worth a listen. I started with the David Baddiel one.

TobyD

• forum hero
#48 Re: Really good podcasts
July 06, 2019, 09:04:05 am
On BBC sounds: Jacob Hawley on drugs.  I enjoyed it

slab_happy

• forum hero
#49 Re: Really good podcasts
July 11, 2019, 03:49:16 pm
Also, two of my favourite podcast series of recent years were the  Slate "Slow Burns" on the histories of Watergate and the Clinton / Lewinsky impeachment - incredible access to witness evidence and so much detail that I was utterly unaware of

If you liked the Watergate "Slow Burn", I can highly rec Rachel Maddow's podcast miniseries "Bag Man", about the Spiro Agnew scandal that was going on at the same time -- it's a fascinating and entertaining exploration of another one of the side avenues that "Slow Burn" gets into.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal