UKBouldering.com

A bizzare knee injury (Read 1638 times)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
A bizzare knee injury
March 18, 2019, 08:56:45 pm
Right, bizzare one.

Last week (6 days ago) I knelt on a large hawthorn and it went directly into the front of my knee about 1inch.

When I did it, it hurt, but not like I had done anything really mechanically to my knee. I continued tree planting for another two hours and was fine, no pain. Then it obviously swelled up later that day and I could barley walk.

coincidentally I was all ready on antibiotics (only started a day before) for the same injury but in my finger.

I still can’t really walk and its really painful. Going up and downstairs hurts a lot.

So my question is, (if there is anyone out there that knows anything about knees) could I have done any structural damage? Or will it still just be swollen and I am being a whimp/impatient?

Reason I ask, I went back to the doctors today and they weren’t really concerned, more concerned about arthritic sepsis (unlikely as it’s not infected)

Thanks in  advance.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: A bizzare knee injury
March 18, 2019, 09:47:47 pm
Can’t comment on the knee element, but can confirm that getting many a jab off Hawthorn in my hands over the years (tree surgery) has often left me with sore and swollen digits that have taken a while to go down. Sounds like it was quite a good jab you got, so might take a week or so to start feeling better.

Nasty stuff, as is Blackthorn.

tedj234

#2 Re: A bizzare knee injury
March 18, 2019, 10:31:06 pm
Hi Dan,

I'm an orthopaedic surgeon so hopefully know a little about knees (usual caveats apply haven't seen you or the knee in real life so this is general advice...) given what you've said I would be most worried about infection either within the knee (septic arthritis) or an abscess in the soft tissue. Structural damage would be pretty unlikely and doesn't really fit the story.

If it's not getting better and still so painful you can barely walk on it I would try and get to see an orthopaedic surgeon asap. Two options are through your GP who can refer you to the on call fracture clinic or through A&E who will assess and either contact the on call surgeon or send you to the fracture clinic.

Hopefully it's nothing but worth getting it looked at.

Cheers

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#3 Re: A bizzare knee injury
March 19, 2019, 08:49:48 am
Thanks a lot for your responses, really appreciate it.

As my GP didn’t seem overly concerned, if it doesn’t improve by tomorrow, I will probably head to A&E.

Thanks again.

Dan

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: A bizzare knee injury
March 19, 2019, 09:14:49 am

Nasty stuff, as is Blackthorn.

Yep, a few cans will give you a lethal hangover.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal