UKBouldering.com

London & Training (Read 4932 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
London & Training
March 13, 2019, 06:02:38 pm
I'll be in London for a week starting on Sunday, staying near Holborn metro-station.

I will be hard pressed for time, but will probably manage two evening sessions. I'm looking for somewhere where it would be possible to do some semi structured strength endurance training even in the evening (an underused campus board would do in a pinch), and not impossibly difficult to get to from Holborn.

Recommendations?

Of course, if anyone on here would be up for roped climbing on Friday evening I'd probably be keen on that as well.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: London & Training
March 13, 2019, 09:20:22 pm
Pretty great collection of easy to access walls from Holborn.

Mile End Wall has an ace little training room that apparently you can even preview on google maps. Always used to be quiet in there. Under half an hour on the central line from Holborn - worth noting they close at 21:30 on weekdays.

Stronghold also has a great board and good campus board set up. Take the Picadilly Line from Holborn to Finsbury Park, walk across the platform and take the Victoria Line a couple more stops (google suggests changing at Kings X, but that's much more faff) - again around half an hour.

Yonder, same as for Stronghold but another couple of stops on the Victoria Line. Symmetrical board with all wooden holds, Moonboard and under used campus board.

Westway or the Castle also decent options, and have the best roped climbing.

csl

• junky
#2 Re: London & Training
March 14, 2019, 05:55:51 am
semi structured strength endurance training even

I think the best wall in London is Stronghold. It's usually not too busy and has a great training area with big circuit board and all the usual stuff including campus boards. As joel182 says, 30 minutes from Holborn.

There is also a new training specific wall in Brixton called Blocfit which might be a good option. I've not been yet, but it looks good and not too busy. Google suggests 33 minutes for that https://goo.gl/maps/gdx6XWphqZS2

I wouldn't bother with The Arch/Vauxwall/Castle in the evenings as they are so busy.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: London & Training
March 18, 2019, 08:13:41 am
Of course, if anyone on here would be up for roped climbing on Friday evening I'd probably be keen on that as well.

I'd suggest a Friday evening session at the Westway (the best London wall for roped climbing and <30 mins from Holborn) but they are holding a comp. on Saturday. The section of interest to you is likely to be closed.   

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: London & Training
March 18, 2019, 12:40:49 pm

I'd suggest a Friday evening session at the Westway (the best London wall for roped climbing and <30 mins from Holborn) but they are holding a comp. on Saturday. The section of interest to you is likely to be closed.

Thanks, in the end I didn't bring a harness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal