UKBouldering.com

Appointment with almost Death (Read 7517 times)

Kermit

Appointment with almost Death
February 25, 2019, 07:41:11 pm
Just watched the little vid of Jim Pope on his instagram on AwD where the foot hold crumbles and he just one arms it out and looks as though nothing happened.  :bow:

Very impressive, probably the best save I think I've seen actually happen!

It's on his story so don't think I can link to it.

user deactivated

#1 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 25, 2019, 10:04:13 pm
Way to casual man, can’t believe you’d be chalking and blowing stood on a pebble like that. Particularly on moorland grit. On a different note, why the helmet? Jeans / cords and a beanie, unless you’re from Leek in which case a leather vest and assless chaps

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 25, 2019, 10:31:01 pm
Vid’s on the UKB Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/ukbclimbing

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 26, 2019, 01:47:27 pm
This is the real thing, the genuine article, the stuff legends are made of.

Ged

• junky
#4 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 26, 2019, 08:43:02 pm
Holy crap. Then he just one arms it!

Kermit

#5 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 12:10:16 am
I'm actually baffled by it all. Amazing!  :jaw:

danm

• junky
#6 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 11:21:35 am
I was chatting about this with Nige - although those holds are apparently "quite good" and at that point the hard climbing is "pretty much over" his view was that anyone weaker would probably be dead. Remains to be seen if the loss of the pebble makes the route even sketchier now.

What's most impressive to me is that having just avoided the death fall, he finishes with apparent composure - incredible.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#7 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 11:47:18 am
Reckon it is an actual death fall from up there or just really bad news for your legs? Obvs any fall can result in death if you land badly. Just wondering how lucky Jim is to be a BIFF winner

danm

• junky
#8 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 12:39:12 pm
Go and have a look Dunc! Nige seemed pretty unequivocal  about it, although if you're called Pob you would probably walk away with a scratched knee.

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 01:09:50 pm
Go and have a look Dunc! Nige seemed pretty unequivocal  about it

People have survived much worse falls, and people have died in much "better" falls.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 01:28:57 pm
Remains to be seen if the loss of the pebble makes the route even sketchier now.

Hard to see in the vid, did the actual pebble pop, or just his foot pop off it?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#11 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 01:52:56 pm
People have survived much worse falls, and people have died in much "better" falls.

:agree: No grit route is high enough for death to be a certainty.

What’s almost universally ignored is what surviving big climbing accidents entails- of the many, many possible outcomes the vast majority of them absolutely suck, last for a very long time and it won’t just be you who’s affected.

It’s fucking crazy how we’ll say stuff like “you’d only break your ankle from there” or “that’s certain death” etc. I guess as well as wanting to sound hard we want to feel like we can control such random and complicated things.

Cool to see Jim do this, let alone cope with potential disaster so well! 8) I was amused to read on UKC that he and his mates were surprised that most of the routes they wanted to try at Wimberry were out of condition in February but he still got the one that wasn’t done in a session. I guess it’s that elusive combination of psyche, skill and naïvety you need to get this stuff done.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:00:59 pm by cheque »

Kermit

#12 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 02:00:11 pm
Belaying a mate on Fear even at the mantle move on that the fall looked horrific. From where this happened it would not be nice.

Definitely agree death wouldn't be certain but whatever, the outcome would be really bad. I'd have thought legs, back, pelvis etc all mullered.

He does just seem to carry on as though nothing happened. Mighty impressive but could be such a different thread.

He is infinitely stronger better etc than me but if I was stood on only one pebble on moorland grit im not sure I'd want to be chalking up whilst moving.

I'm still in awe of that video.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#13 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 27, 2019, 03:20:25 pm
Ran into him at Whitehouses ( RIP  :wavecry:) and he was a total mutant. Ned Feehally was there pissing around putting his heels on everything. Jim didn't even bother with heels. He basically campused Whitefinger.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#14 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 28, 2019, 11:23:46 am
Pretty nifty. Proper Consumed type moment there. How much difference would the anchored pad make, does the hive mind reckon??

mark20

• junky
#15 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 28, 2019, 11:33:41 am
The pad on the small starting ledge would make the low mantel move feel much nicer. Isn't there a vid of Tom Randall dropping off here? From memory it's only a small ledge though and there is a nasty crevasse just to the right. Mis-spot your landing and  :sick:
Falling any higher would be unthinkable, especially as the line trends slightly left over a hideous drop, though it does come back right towards the top (where the pebble pops on Jim).

Great to see a young strong climber like Jim taking an interest in hard grit stuff

andy popp

• forum hero
#16 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 28, 2019, 11:48:29 am
Falling off near the end of the traverse of Appointment with Fear would also be very nasty; luckily the climbing is much easier.

SamT

• forum hero
#17 Re: Appointment with almost Death
February 28, 2019, 02:28:50 pm
Isn't there a vid of Tom Randall dropping off here? From memory it's only a small ledge though and there is a nasty crevasse just to the right. Mis-spot your landing and  :sick:

1:50

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#18 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 01:55:53 pm
I'm actually baffled by it all. Amazing!  :jaw:

Just seen this - not on FB so assumed I couldn't view the video.

I'm with you Kermit; just baffled. It looked more likely that JP would be fitting in a couple of extra one-armers between chalks, than "gerrin outa here".

The psychology of long ground falls is interesting. I've never assumed a binary outcome, certain death etc. There are many tales of people trying to work out their landing spot from ridiculous heights, while stepping off a curb stone in the wrong way can prove fatal as we know.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#19 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 03:14:04 pm
It is fatal if it's into the way of a passing bus.

JamieG

• forum hero
#20 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 05:41:56 pm
Rewatching Tom Randall on it made me realise how far left a lot of the route is. I always assumed you’d fall into the slab but it looks like you hit the ledge that’s lower.

Also with the side runner is there a specific height/placement it tends to get placed at? If I remember correctly the route 1 crack goes right to the top. I guess after a certain point it doesn’t matter it’s useless anyway.

andy popp

• forum hero
#21 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 06:15:33 pm
Also with the side runner is there a specific height/placement it tends to get placed at?

I don't know. When I did AFW I think I placed it stood on the ledge the you start the traverse from (e.g. lower than Tom has them) but these routes are totally different propositions - obviously. I don't know how it feels on AWD but by the time I got out to the arete the side rope felt very heavy and draggy, so much so I untied it and dropped it.

JamieG

• forum hero
#22 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 07:16:29 pm
That’s a good point. I guess you’d be really keen to avoid any drag on already pretty delicate looking climbing. To be fair I’m was just happy to bumble up the crack. I doubt you’ll ever catch me near either ‘Appointment’ route. :-)

Duma

• forum hero
#23 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 08:13:08 pm
There's an Appointment With Beer at Huntsham if you're ever down south JamieG, about 6B+ still wouldn't want to fall off though

JamieG

• forum hero
#24 Re: Appointment with almost Death
March 04, 2019, 08:49:48 pm
That sounds more like it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal