UKBouldering.com

Landing advice (Read 2521 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 03:38:12 pm
I've been trying a new problem in the Peak, not done it yet (fell off last hard move a couple of times this morning...). The landing has taken a bit of work.

Problem quite high (6m?) vert arete thing. Flat landing close to the rock but about a meter away the ground slopes off a bunch and then a few meters down the slope is a rock step - falling all the way down here wouldn't be nice. No pads and no landing improvements would result in a knarly solo, too hard for me.

I've collected a bunch of fallen branches/logs, laid one (biggest one) across the slope and then tied it to 2 handy trees above, I've then piled loads more branches on top and then for stability and to make it all a bit stronger (some are a bit rotten) I've tied the rope around them all in a few places and tied a couple back to the trees again.

Obv I could wait until I do the problem (hopefully!) and then untie the ropes and let the branches tumble away. I could leave it all as is (it's an old climbing rope so I don't mind leaving it) or I could try and put some wooden stakes in to hold it all in place and then remove rope??

The ropes make it look fairly obvious. It's pretty unlikely any hikers would stumble across the stuff although folk do get all over the place.

I think it is a fun bit of climbing up a nice feature in a nice spot, I'm not too concerned if I take away the landing and no one ever goes there although it might be folk are keen for it??

Hopefully attached a couple of pics.

IMG_20190327_103105 by Ben Bransby, on Flickr

IMG_20190327_103045 by Ben Bransby, on Flickr

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 03:46:58 pm
Are you asking if you should leave the ropes? I don't think so; probably not between attempts even and definitely not after you've finished.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 03:50:44 pm
Agree with above, looks a bit of a mess tbh. And nylon rope will eventually deteriorate through abrasion and UV and produce plastic microparticles.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 03:59:24 pm
Kudos for asking for a view - many wouldn't.

Instead could it be sorted with a 'sea of foam'(tm) and associated team of spotters? IMHO it doesnt look great (though pics never show the full context) - the lower ropes could go un-noticed... but the high ones (pic 1) are pretty obvious...

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 04:03:13 pm
That was what I felt, wanted to check I wasn't being too sensitive (by the sounds of it no!). What would you reckon to leaving just the logs but without the rope? It'd likely fall away if people fell on it a couple of times so seems a bit pointless, or about trying to wedge it all in place with other sticks?

The reason I used the rope was (I had it with me) I could remove it all leaving almost no trace (and why I used the fallen logs I could find)

Might be possible to tie pads in the same place...

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 04:21:55 pm
Use a portaledge?? to hold pads on. bit of a faff to cart in and cart out again but less intrusive??

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 04:23:37 pm
Can you tie them up with  a bit of sisal rope? Almost invisible, less obtrusive, and environmentally preferable?

dpb

• addict
#7 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 04:33:31 pm
Use a portaledge?? to hold pads on. bit of a faff to cart in and cart out again but less intrusive??

Or a decent hammock between the trees. Way lighter/easier to carry in etc but maybe less stable pad support.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 06:15:55 pm
Thanks for the replies, think I was suffering from a bit of summit fever even leaving the crag with them like that... Went back and with fresh eyes (only a few hours) and having listened to folk on here it looked pretty hideous!

Made a few changes, got rid of the climbing rope. Added a couple of little wooden stakes/props to hold it all in position (see second photo). It's a bit unstable like this but I can just add a sling round either end and each tree whilst I am trying it...

IMG_20190327_173321 by Ben Bransby, on Flickr

IMG_20190327_173003 by Ben Bransby, on Flickr

IMG_20190327_172858 by Ben Bransby, on Flickr

Feel happy at least leaving it like this in the short term.

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 07:12:02 pm
If it's not a great problem then do something short-term just for yourself.. If it's a great problem then build a great patio!

Most impressive patio I've ever seen is below (the brilliant) Space Machine at the Scalp, Ireland:

(pic doesn't do justice to the steepness of the slope, it's steep!)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#10 Re: Landing advice
March 27, 2019, 07:20:05 pm
Magic Wood is like a lumberjack’s jamboree.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal