UKBouldering.com

Font first timer (Read 9013 times)

Ged

• junky
Font first timer
February 20, 2019, 08:54:21 pm
After years of managing to avoid going on bouldering trips (apart from 1 day in font 7byars ago), arrival of baby has meant we've decided to go at Easter.

So I'm after a bit of general advice. Will be with semi keen wife (who also likes running) and some mates who also have a little one.

Good area recommendations, that are nice places to hang out with the babies for the day, have quality 7's and easy stuff, and ideally not totally rammed. An absence of used jonnies on the floor would also be nice.

Good other stuff to do, apart from buying a hi viz vest and going to Paris for the day.

Best way to drive there from valais, I seem to remember some knowledge about staying on some further out ring road around Paris that is quite hard to follow?

And last, but most important, how to train!? Aside from the usual fingerboarding and bouldering, is there any specific stuff that's worth doing so I don't get completely destroyed on my first day?

Cheers very much

Ged

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Font first timer
February 20, 2019, 11:30:53 pm
For the drive from Calais I just followed google maps when I went a couple of months ago and it took the outside ring road thing you're talking about. Can't remember the details, but it's something like A16 calais to paris, then get on the N104/A104 that skirts round the east of Paris and follow it all the way to Melun, which is 15 mins from font.

Assuming brexit goes to shit you'll probably need to get a green card.

Training wise, make sure your elbows and shoulders are in tip top condition before you go. Font elbow is real.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#3 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 08:25:04 am
I'd honestly advice doing as much outside as you can between now and then - lots of circuits with plenty of mantelling involved should see you right.

In terms of areas, all the popular areas will be chokka at Easter and I'm not that ofay with quieter options - maybe someone else can advise?

Plenty of lovely trails for the wife to run though  :yes:

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/running/france/ile-de-france/fontainebleau

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#4 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 08:30:02 am
Assuming brexit goes to shit you'll also need an international driving permit, picked mine up at the Post Office last week, it looks like something from the 1950s.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 08:41:42 am
Lots of push-ups.
Follow google maps - usually A16/A1 to Paris then as Remus said.
Save some finger skin for the trip and try not to trash them on the first few days.
Don't worry about grades too much - it can be a bit of a shock when you can't get up a 5 ;).
All the popular areas are obviously great. The guidebooks are generally pretty good at highlighting family friendly areas.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#6 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 08:57:07 am
For the drive from Calais I just followed google maps when I went a couple of months ago and it took the outside ring road thing you're talking about. Can't remember the details, but it's something like A16 calais to paris, then get on the N104/A104 that skirts round the east of Paris and follow it all the way to Melun, which is 15 mins from font.
Yeah, it's that. If your drive involves a little dogleg on the East of Paris then you're en-route.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 09:24:31 am
I don't know why people are so scared of the Peripherique, in my (20 odd trips) experience it's totally fine and way easier navigation-wise. You just keep going south from Calais, get on "Peripherique Est", then keep going till you see the sign for the A6 and turn off.

First few trips I did we always tried to avoid it, always got lost took ages etc. One time I flew out on my tod, missed a turnoff and ended up with no option to do the Peripherique and realised there was nothing to be scared of.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#8 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 09:30:37 am
I don't know why people are so scared of the Peripherique, in my (20 odd trips) experience it's totally fine and way easier navigation-wise. You just keep going south from Calais, get on "Peripherique Est", then keep going till you see the sign for the A6 and turn off.

First few trips I did we always tried to avoid it, always got lost took ages etc. One time I flew out on my tod, missed a turnoff and ended up with no option to do the Peripherique and realised there was nothing to be scared of.

I'd second that, did the same thing, do this version whenever I can't be bothered to navigate the other options, plus you also get to see Paris and experience the crazy motorcyclists. I would say it isn't really a good option for very nervous drivers though.

36chambers

• forum hero
#9 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 09:36:35 am
Yeah, it's that. If your drive involves a little dogleg on the East of Paris then you're en-route.

If it's the route where you turn off shortly after passing under the airport runway, then that's what we do.

I think we ended up on the Peripherique on our first trip (when we navigated using print off maps) and I'm surprised we didn't die. All concept of lanes dissolved and I felt like I was in mad max or something.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 09:59:04 am
Sand your fingers a bit every day for a week or so before you go.

Take those cotton gloves to sleep in with Climb On or similar on your tips every night when you're there.

Stop climbing before your skin gets too thin every day.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#11 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 10:12:58 am
La Francilienne is the circular route that involves A104/N104 plus other bits

It used to be poorly signposted, especially getting on to it from the A1, which is why it was so easy to get wrong; but this has been sorted

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#12 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 10:26:24 am
Isn't getting lost while trying to avoid the mythically dreadful Peripherique what going to Font is all about?

Ged

• junky
#13 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 10:37:49 am
Cheers everyone. 

More tips on good areas much appreciated.  Lots of problems close together sounds good.  Long walk ins not a problem.

So how does one Font-proof their elbows and shoulders? Perhaps I'll start another topic on DTandI

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 11:04:52 am
Bakery in Mily la Foret, think it's Au four du Moulin, is amazing - well worth seeking out if you are remotely nearby - think market day is Thursday and the market is decent too.

On markets, the square in the centre of Fontainebleau has been refurbished recently and hosts a nice market. Pretty much what you'd expect - good cheeses/fresh produce plus fashion tat.

Absolutely massive Carrefour in Villiers en Bierre if you want a huge supermarket.

Used johnnies is pretty much a Bas Cuvier exclusive

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#15 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 11:46:29 am
There's a smaller Intermarche on the D948 just between Milly La Foret and Noisy Sure Ecole too. Much less of a time-thief than tramping round the mega mall Carrefour.

As for tactics, agree with all body-related stuff. Exercise restraint as much as poss, don't go through your tips on day one, leave some in the tank for the next day, try to plan rest days as appropriate.

Obviously bleau.info is a godsend for ticklist planning and beta - as well as avoiding the standard heartbreaker of finding your send invalidated by having broken some arbitrary rule on the problem like not using a hold that's within reach or something.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#16 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 11:47:49 am
Oh, and those little c50cm square carpet sample things you can get from the flooring shop are a good tip too - we once bought 4 or 5 and took them. Very useful for cleaning boots when climbing, and for standing on if you're off the mats spotting.

T_B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 11:56:49 am
Easter will be frickin rammed. It depends how much that bothers you, but I've explored a lot of different areas (had 10 weeks in Font just in the last 3 years, mainly in the summer). I reckon if I was there at Easter with a baby I would suggest:

- Potala (will be reasonably busy but a nice spot with good easy stuff and excellent reds)/Cathedrale (quest off from Potala to do Coup de Torchon assis 7a+)/Le 111 (two brilliant 7s also near Potala that I doubt get much traffic. One is fluttery)
- La Feuillardière/Rocher du Télégraphe (get psyched for what baby will be crushing in a couple of yrs i.e. the mega kids circuits at Feuillardière/quest around for the excellent 7a-7bs in the 7's and 8's guidebook. Le Cadeau is ace and straightforward for a 7a+. Coup de Tonerre is nice n steady for 7a, Crossfit is basic pulling).
- Rocher des Demoiselles. Long walk (but flat) which sees off the crowds. Some good, mainly mid-harder 7s. Walk in from the Rocher du Mauvais Passage end and you can do Peter Pan (best 7b+ in le foret IMO, likely to have people camped out beneath it at Easter) and Nadine (trad climber's 7a up a sweet pod).
- Restant du Long Rocher. Nice spot with attractive pockety rock though a little cramped in at the start of the circuit. Black star 7a (Le Calice - looks better than it climbs) and some other decent easy 7s. Nip in and do Monaco (class 7b at Rocher des Princes) on way home.

Running
Assuming your wife likes more interesting/technical trails, the blue trail around Elephant (11km) is a must. Elephant itself will be rammed, but nearby Manoury is quiet and has harder 7s. Also Elephant North has a few good looking easier 7s, including Matador (quite high). You could also check out Mont Simonet for somewhere quieter, but I didn't think there was much there.

Various loops that take in part of the 25 bosses route around the Trois Pignons. I've done the whole thing once (17km) in the wet and it's great fun. It's marked, but it's worth having a GPS track as it gets confusing in places, especially around Potala/Cathedrale/JA Martin.

Driving
Just follow whatever the Satnav tells you. Peripherique is fine unless it's rush hour. Last couple of times we've ended up on the N6/A5 into Melun as we stay just to the SE of Fontainebleau itself and that has the advantage of saving you some tolls.

Supermarket/food
The best medium sized supermarket is the Carrefour Market very near to the Fontainebleau-Avon train station. Other top tip is the BP petrol station on the weird roundabout on the west side of Font is open when other places are closed, it's quickly accessible and sells a decent range of bits and pieces. I.e. if you just want to nip in somewhere to resupply on cheese/cold beer.

Other stuff
Moret-sur-Loing for waffle place above the river and best pizza place on small roundabout over the bridge.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:02:08 pm by T_B »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#18 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 12:33:49 pm
So how does one Font-proof their elbows and shoulders?

pressups

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#19 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 12:50:06 pm
How old are the two kids? And do you have any constraints on how they like to be moved around?

Ours never really got into the swing of the papoose and is frustratingly wedded to taking her naps (except if she's at nursery) in her pram. So if it was me I'd be looking for pram friendly places. Also, going to Font at Easter and asking for non-rammed crags might mean that you end up at some real esoteric stuff. Plus, depending on the size of your car, if you have to fill it with lots of baby shiz then you might end up not being able to take as much foam, so going to crags where there will invariably be other climbers who might be on what you want to try could be a good thing.

I've seen a bloke pushing a pram around Isatis. Some of the sandier approaches will make that impossible. I've never seen a rubber at Cuvier - in fact, when we went one year there was Nalle and co handing out bin liners and litter grabbers and there was nothing left for us to pick up! Actually not a thing! It would be a perfect crag to go to during a first trip. It's a big crag so isn't too bad at absorbing the crowds that it attracts.

I'd also be looking at places with lots of problems in a close proximity to each other so as to reduce the amount of moving around you do during the day. And I might also be inclined to tick fewer individual problems but to put more effort into working them. Thus far my Font trips have been sans-family and I've concentrated on ticking off lots of classics that I can do quickly. This thread should suit your grade range - https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26843.msg546205.html#msg546205
Mauvais - a short walk but don't remember it being family friendly.

T_B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 01:11:42 pm
As Ged said walking not a problem I assumed little baby in backpack or similar. If you’re looking for pushable venues then all of my suggestions bar Potala are wack!

Cuvier is minging. Sadly Isatis is going the same way. I wouldn’t take my kids there now. In the last couple of years there seems to be a lot more bog roll and litter.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#21 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 01:33:40 pm
Isatis, specifically warming up there (and even more specifically white 12!), should not be missed if you’ve not been to Font before.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#22 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 01:41:45 pm
More running info.

Here's a website from the 90s with some route suggestions for running.
http://fabricesueur.free.fr/fontainebleau.html

The one T_B mentions around L'Elephant isn't on there but is very good. Blue markings.

The 25 bosses is also great. Marked in red. There is also a short cut via Diplodocus marked red and white which cuts the route down by a few kms.

The blue route from Canche aux Mericers is less hilly than the ones above. From the parking it heads off right towards l'Telegraphe and the full loop goes to Gorge Aux Chats and back. There are two junctions on the way out which head South and cut the route shorter and join the route on the way back.

The route on the website which starts around Rocher de la Reine I haven't found any markings for so may no longer exist as a marked route.

I've not tried any others yet so don't know if they're marked or not.

fried

• forum hero
#23 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 08:23:33 pm
Roche aux oiseaux can be empty when Roche aux sabots is rammed. The way in isn't sandy.
If you hit Paris after 10am and before 4pm during the week, it's quicker to take the peripherique.

Ged

• junky
#24 Re: Font first timer
February 21, 2019, 08:25:09 pm
Cheers good knowledge, we are on a morning tunnel so that'll work well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal