UKBouldering.com

Mental rehearsal / practice / visualisation (Read 7044 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Wait a minute, this isn't a Dan C topic?? Sheesh. <Fiend closes thread>

Hang on a minute, it was your Nooooooo that prompted me to stay, I’ve already got T stubb crawling up my arse in a supercilious manner every 30 seconds, now you too? I’m disappointed 🤣

Not at all, I'm concerned about shark muscling in on your psychophilosophical topics, not sure it should be allowed  ;).

Shark worry less about Alba spankings and performance, and more about having fun in a cool place with masses of accessible problems  :)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Just interested in the practical applications of mental rehearsal not the philosophy.

As for Albarracin - love the place. No hankering to go back to Hueco now.

user deactivated

Cheers Dan

No plans on quitting unless it’s forced on me by injury or other physical decline

A double bluff, or not. I’m confused. Only Paul McKenna can help me now......

slab_happy

• forum hero

As I remember pnf was based on the idea of relearning functional movement patterns which were either in to external or innternal rotation eg taking a spoon to your mouth. The resistance I think is supposed to increase the feedback to reinforce the motor learning somehow (can’t face finding the science behind it).

Ah, interesting, thanks. I'd only heard of it in the stretching context.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Lanny Bashum's Bassham’s “With Winning in Mind"

I’m sure google would redirect anyway but just in case

Shame, I thought it was a good name for a problem...

user deactivated

I’m just listening to the ‘inner game of tennis’ which is an early book on getting in the zone. The author emphasises the ability of any player to achieve this as beginning with letting go of self judgement during the activity. This is one of the biggest things I notice in climbing. While we often emphasise how little meaning climbing has, it is something we make massive often very black and white value judgements about ourselves. Depending on where this comes from and how long we’ve been doing it, and our personalities the instruction to ‘let it go’ might feel completely impossible. At it’s worst someone might decide they’re useless after dropping a mug, and no matter how meaningless we tell ourselves going climbing is, it’s very strongly linked to how we feel about ourselves. When I chatted to Ned about 18 months ago I used the example of the one inch punch as being observably a very simple thing which could be ascribed as meaningless but became symbolic of so much more, both about the person and his dedication and also what is possible in the world in general.

Smith42

• regular
Just come across Rock Warriors Way and read the opening chapters, looks like a good source. 

Anyone any views on this book?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I was initially put off by the Castaneda references. But I gave it another go after speaking to Hazel, who has read everything on the subject and reckons this is the best one. It's worth persevering with, although I can't remember how much use it would be for the siege redpoint.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
Just come across Rock Warriors Way and read the opening chapters, looks like a good source. 

I remember preferring Espresso Lessons to Rock Warriors Way, though I can't remember why now?

user deactivated

I listened to that guy being interviewed on the enormocast recently. As dry as a cracker to put it mildly. Jeez

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

Love it. Really improved my climbing by improving my attitude to climbing - accepting the challenge, focusing on the experience, having deeper and more positive motivations, acknowledging and working on my weaknesses. Like JB says I'm not sure how compatible it is with a purely end-goal-orientated slog through an experience that seems to make one miserable most of the time.

Nutty: Espresso Lessons is RWW distilled: less background philosophy, more practical applications. That's why.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal