UKBouldering.com

Computer monitor for strained eyes (Read 2386 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 11:56:47 am
My better half is front of her computer all day, and she's got a fairly new bog standard PC laptop with a quite awful display. As she's started to get quite some problem with eye strain I've started to look in to getting her a dedicated monitor (+ docking station).

Any advice?

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#1 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 01:17:31 pm
On my work screens I just tend to lower the brightness and adjust the contrast. At home I've recently upgraded to Win 10 and its has the night time filter which is similar to the blue light app you can get for your phone, I find it helps to reduce the strain on the eyes a lot. Also I think there's the cleartype feature in windows which helps tune the look so text looks better for that user by going through different looks selecting the clearest one.

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 01:27:34 pm
Also get an eye test!

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 02:06:31 pm
On my work screens I just tend to lower the brightness and adjust the contrast. At home I've recently upgraded to Win 10 and its has the night time filter which is similar to the blue light app you can get for your phone, I find it helps to reduce the strain on the eyes a lot. Also I think there's the cleartype feature in windows which helps tune the look so text looks better for that user by going through different looks selecting the clearest one.

Pete, has your phone not got the equivalent of the Win 10 night time filter built in? Nats' cheaper version of yours certainly has as I turned it on and it took a while to find out where the option was hidden in the menu!

I've just bought a monitor for home use which includes eye care features (I didn't buy it for this reason):
http://orwww.benq.com/solution/benq-eye-care-monitor/lite
https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/designer/pd2500q.html

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 03:14:26 pm
Thanks Paul, that looks like the ticket. (At least at slightly lower resolutions. I very much doubt that her laptop can deal with that high resolution).

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 04:47:50 pm
It's a lovely thing. I spent ages flicking through my favourite photos on it after I first plugged it in.

The CAD/CAM mode looks like it'll also be great for me (as I'm doing a reasonable amount myself ATM).

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#6 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 08:27:40 pm

Pete, has your phone not got the equivalent of the Win 10 night time filter built in? Nats' cheaper version of yours certainly has as I turned it on and it took a while to find out where the option was hidden in the menu!

I've just bought a monitor for home use which includes eye care features (I didn't buy it for this reason):
http://orwww.benq.com/solution/benq-eye-care-monitor/lite
https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/designer/pd2500q.html

Yeah, been using it since I got it, I think you can get red light apps for the PC, I've used twilight on the phone too which is very good.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Computer monitor for strained eyes
January 23, 2019, 09:37:09 pm
Be disciplined about looking away from the screen. There are programs that will blank the screen automatically every X min. But really just go and have a cuppa or pace around every 30-40 min.

I’ve never had a problem with laptop screens... but £80 will get you a decent enough 19-21 inch monitor. Laptop graphics cards in most machines can easily drive the res.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal