UKBouldering.com

Weird Hand/Wrist injury (Read 1993 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Weird Hand/Wrist injury
January 20, 2019, 01:26:10 pm
I'm hoping someone can offer some advice/help. For the last two weeks I've had a pain in the middle of the back of my right hand, just above the wrist. I can crimp but holding anything open handed is agony. I've no idea what happened to set it off. Voltarol eases the pain but it isn't a solution. Anyone got a scooby what I may have done and what to do about it?

sheavi

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Weird Hand/Wrist injury
January 20, 2019, 02:16:11 pm
Not sure -  can you post a photo of exactly where the pain is?  The wrist is more extended in a crimp position than open hand usually.  Perhaps a change  in force through the carpal bone ligaments hence a difference in pain response.  The wrist is quite complicated and accurate diagnosis difficult, especially over a forum. In normal movements is the wrist painful if you bend it back or forward?  Any palpable swelling or tenderness? Do you know how it started etc?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#2 Re: Weird Hand/Wrist injury
January 20, 2019, 02:26:12 pm
The pain also happens when I bend the hand backwards or push on a surface. It is focused about 1-2cm above the wrist, in the centre of the back of the hand. I don't know how it started, but it began at the wall. I don't remember banging my hand on anything.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Weird Hand/Wrist injury
January 20, 2019, 02:54:39 pm
Ok it could be dorsal wrist impingement or possibly a ligament injury involving the lunate bone. Simple solution at this stage is activity modification - avoid activities producing pain, it may calm down if not repeatedly aggravated.  If this is difficult try a wrist brace but remove regularly and mobilise.  You mentioned NSAIDs helped so take these or apply the gel (2 weeks).

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#4 Re: Weird Hand/Wrist injury
January 20, 2019, 03:02:53 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll keep on with the NSAID gel and leave the climbing until I the pain subsides.

Smith42

• regular
#5 Re: Weird Hand/Wrist injury
February 20, 2019, 10:29:48 am
Have you read the Dave Mcleod Make or Break? some good information in there about wrist injuries, i was just looking up for a friend the other day. 
Excluding falling and spraining your wrist the most common reasons for wrist problems seem to be caused by either climbing too many volume style problems or incorrect use of keyboard/mouse. 

I suffered 18 months of elbow problems before i sorted out my work seating posture and  screen height and the elbow problem went within weeks. 

PS good luck.

Olly R

#6 Re: Weird Hand/Wrist injury
February 23, 2019, 11:11:09 pm

I suffered 18 months of elbow problems before i sorted out my work seating posture and  screen height and the elbow problem went within weeks. 

To divert the question from wrists slightly what was your elbow problem? And what exactly did you change to fix it?

Currently my elbows only talk to me via lawyers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal