UKBouldering.com

Franco’s Headpoint article (Read 77941 times)

user deactivated

Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 11:00:58 am
Flicked onto the other channel yesterday to see fiend getting a load of shit for having a solid opinion about it. I was surprised to see people are still seeing their arse about this really, I mean headpointing is a bit cheaty isn’t it, but good fun sometimes too. I loved the ‘imagine all the climbers’ mock response though. I mean how much headpointing really goes on anyway? I’ve spent a year mooching around deserted crags with a mix of styles and  pretty much the only people I’ve bumped into are out bouldering.

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 01:27:53 pm
I'm sure we can have a more interesting discussion on this channel,

I agree - who really cares, everyone considers it to be a lesser style than onsighting, same in sport climbing or bouldering.

Why is it so different because there is natural gear? It really just changes how it is approached...

Whether a route gets worked or not is purely logistical. I've headpointed like 5 routes ever yet redpointed hundreds. Summary - its loads more faff than sport climbing so i can't be arsed & just go sport climbing...

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 01:42:53 pm
I've not read the article but I'm amazed they've published something so lengthy. Doesn't 'Gen Z' have the attention span to read 3 bullet points at most?!

user deactivated

#3 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 01:49:06 pm

I agree - who really cares, everyone considers it to be a lesser style than onsighting, same in sport climbing or bouldering.

Why is it so different because there is natural gear? It really just changes how it is approached...

Whether a route gets worked or not is purely logistical. I've headpointed like 5 routes ever yet redpointed hundreds. Summary - its loads more faff than sport climbing so i can't be arsed & just go sport climbing...

Wow, you must have saved the interesting bit for your posts on ukc  :bow:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 01:59:10 pm
I've not read the article but I'm amazed they've published something so lengthy. Doesn't 'Gen Z' have the attention span to read 3 bullet points at most?!

think how many adverts you have to scroll past (and maybe see) with something that long - even if all you want to do is read the comments section

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#5 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 02:07:29 pm
Edlinger headpointed quite a few of his more wackily bolted routes, and look what happened to him.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 02:18:05 pm
Edlinger headpointed quite a few of his more wackily bolted routes, and look what happened to him.

after he stopped headpointing?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 02:31:16 pm
haha, the lesson is the opposite of what I thought! Keep on headpointing kids!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#8 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 02:37:19 pm
Worth noting that I didn't read the article - I'm not interested in the Franco/TheMoors/H10/whatever publicity machine - and I certainly will never read any replies to my comment on it (my modus operandi these days), although I did take care to make sure my comment was palatable and straightforward.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the whole thing, especially promoting the exact opposite direction to how climbing progression should be going. Franco may or may not be talking about his own precious new routes, but given they're a limited resource and too hard for most people, stylistic progression further down the difficulty levels is obvious and natural.

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 02:53:59 pm

Wow, you must have saved the interesting bit for your posts on ukc  :bow:

Haha sorry, that forum really winds me up, I do wonder why I go on there.

However, if said person goes fishing, he must expect to catch some fish.

Have a look at my punters too.
It's a long term beef.   :shrug:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 03:09:47 pm
Since that refers to me: No - I can neither remember nor care less what the puntering was about, in fact the stray wad point at the time indicates it was hardly of any interest even then.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#11 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 05:58:56 pm

Read about half, but alternative was even more boring.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#12 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 07:10:22 pm

He gave up and soloed Orange Mécanique instead?

Dangerous, thin end of the wedge, this headpointing business ..

user deactivated

#13 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 07:34:53 pm
thin end of the wedge

Isn’t that a boulder problem at Burnage south where the a block was crowbarred out to make room for a bum start  :spank:

user deactivated

#14 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 07:35:52 pm
Burnage south ahahhah get the Gallagher’s to spot 😂

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#15 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 07:47:43 pm
The few goes on toprope followed by a lead, aka 'The Cheetham', seems like a good option on grit for people who need their ankles intact to go into work the next day.

user deactivated

#16 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 07:52:59 pm
By name and nature apparently Tim - have a wad point!

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#17 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 08:55:14 pm
Worth noting that I didn't read the article - I'm not interested in the Franco/TheMoors/H10/whatever publicity machine - and I certainly will never read any replies to my comment on it (my modus operandi these days), although I did take care to make sure my comment was palatable and straightforward.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the whole thing, especially promoting the exact opposite direction to how climbing progression should be going. Franco may or may not be talking about his own precious new routes, but given they're a limited resource and too hard for most people, stylistic progression further down the difficulty levels is obvious and natural.

Your comments on Franco entertain me immensely. I was so glad to see you were the first to post about in on the other channel.

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 09:04:39 pm
Wasn’t this covered in the Glue gate thread.
Franco top roping stuff to death then head pointing, where as Dan V and gang minimal practice the work from the ground.

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 09:24:30 pm
Since that refers to me: No - I can neither remember nor care less what the puntering was about, in fact the stray wad point at the time indicates it was hardly of any interest even then.

Was talking to Dan. Hence the quote, to Dan.

user deactivated

#20 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 09:44:33 pm
Don’t let me get in the way of a good scrap lads 😂

But seriously tho, cmon fiend we all love your posts man. Good on ya. Ad away n shite with yer headpointing article whatever ya name is....

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 09:59:08 pm
I read Francos Article. And it made a pleasant change from the usual crampon/leighweight jacket sponsored overviews etc...

But it didn’t half go off on one towards the end. Plus I would suggest that there are a whole range of objective dangers that come from dangling on a rope up high solo toproping something - than dangling 1m above a bouldering pad... that whole section seemed a bit weird and maybe a tad dangerous for them to print.

Anyway - I was always happy to toprope stuff when pushing your grade (when I did roped stuff). Who really cares apart from yourself?

Is this where I can talk about Cryogenics? 😂

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#22 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 11:14:48 pm
Depends whether you top-roped it first.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#23 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 16, 2019, 11:36:33 pm
there are a whole range of objective dangers that come from dangling on a rope up high solo toproping something - than dangling 1m above a bouldering pad... that whole section seemed a bit weird and maybe a tad dangerous for them to print.

It’s rock climbing Tom. It’s all a tad dangerous.

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Franco’s Headpoint article
January 17, 2019, 03:29:51 pm
Anyway - I was always happy to toprope stuff when pushing your grade (when I did roped stuff). Who really cares apart from yourself?

I haven't read the article and I doubt I'll get around to it. However, just before leaving Sheffield I realised I'd been kidding myself thinking I'd get around to actually doing a lot of the grit routes I aspired to that included genuine risk (I wasn't overly fond of my Illizarov frame and don't fancy another!). Thus, I had a great time running around the Peak district with my knackered old fat sport rope and a micro-traxion 'blowing on-sights' for fun.

/punter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal