UKBouldering.com

ankle Achilles problem (Read 1119 times)

rich d

• forum hero
#25 Re: ankle Achilles problem
January 14, 2019, 01:58:48 pm
it's the perspective Mike (hopefully) although I did wonder if I'd grown cankles overnight.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: ankle Achilles problem
January 14, 2019, 08:45:28 pm
That looks bang on mid-portion tendon, not one of the bursae. This is the classic tendinopathy most likely to respond to an eccentrics programme.  It's a not trivial amount of swelling but not uncommon to see this:

From here.

I've spent an entertaining 10 minutes watching Karate videos, so now consider myself an expert. There seems to be a lot of bouncing up and down on your toes. Increased amounts of this over a fairly short time would be a pretty obvious route to tendinopathy (many climbing analogies). There is also a certain amount of smacking people in the head with your heel, which might not be too clever for the Achilles either, though this could be over-represented in the 10 best Karate KOs genre thrown up on YouTube.

Usual disclaimers: pay far more attention to someone that has actually spoken with you and examined you.

rich d

• forum hero
#27 Re: ankle Achilles problem
January 14, 2019, 08:53:14 pm
cheers Duncan. eccentrics it is then, although i'm going to continue stretching my calf as its tight and see how that goes,until my physio referal from the gp comes through