UKBouldering.com

Millers Dale station (Read 3390 times)

kc

• obsessive maniac
Millers Dale station
January 10, 2019, 10:52:01 am
https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/our-region/derbyshire/former-peak-district-station-to-reopen-soon-as-cafe-and-visitor-centre-1-9528890/amp

Thought this might be of interest to people who visit the dale especially the hordes that gather at the Cornice in the summer.

Putting a café in at the station always seamed so obvious and I am surprised its taken so long. I fondly remember catching a brew in the  Wriggly Tin café pre Mecca redpoint.
The negative to all this may be parking space and enforcement?

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Millers Dale station
January 10, 2019, 04:13:40 pm
There was a mobile cafe there a while ago good for an ice cream and coffee in one of those old citroen vans.
I like the bit about considering the impact on local business when the house behind the station was serving cream teas etc this summer irregular opening hours though.
There's scope to extend the car park but I thought climbers parked for free at wormhill anyway or is that just tight old gits like me

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2 Re: Millers Dale station
January 10, 2019, 05:32:12 pm
I thought climbers parked for free at wormhill anyway or is that just tight old gits like me

Most climbers park in the car park and just don’t pay. I don’t think the P&D is enforced.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 08:36:05 am
I thought climbers parked for free at wormhill anyway or is that just tight old gits like me

Most climbers park in the car park and just don’t pay. I don’t think the P&D is enforced.

As Kristian says this pressages enforcement as the cafe is an example of the Peak Park looking at alternative ways to generate revenue.

Parking is a hot topic for the Peak Park as it tries to make up for government cuts. However, there are costs to enforcement and impacts as people will increasingly park on the road and verges instead where enforcement is carried out.

Applies to all PDNP car parks including the Plantation.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:41:33 am by shark »

SamT

• forum hero
#4 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 09:00:32 am
I can categorically say that in 40 years of being around the hope valley, I have never seen anything that compares to the parking carnage that was Burbage bridges on New years day this year. 

An increase larger cars/SUV types means people can just bump up on the verge and park wherever they damn well like.  It was horrendous.

With public sector money having been viciously slashed over the last 10 years, is it any wonder the the Peak Park aren't looking for extra revenue streams.  I'm amazed there isn't more enforcement happening at places like the plantation etc.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 09:22:03 am
I can categorically say that in 40 years of being around the hope valley, I have never seen anything that compares to the parking carnage that was Burbage bridges on New years day this year. 

An increase larger cars/SUV types means people can just bump up on the verge and park wherever they damn well like.  It was horrendous.

With public sector money having been viciously slashed over the last 10 years, is it any wonder the the Peak Park aren't looking for extra revenue streams.  I'm amazed there isn't more enforcement happening at places like the plantation etc.

You'd have thought the pleasure of a NY's walk would be significantly diluted by sharing it with the entirety of Sheffield, but that doesn't seem to stop people. I think I'd be aiming for somewhere extremely remote!

SamT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 09:46:37 am
I was heading to the Pop end to do Xmas Crack with my dad. 

Stanage Pop was relatively quiet climbing wise, (you couldn't see the hoards walking along the top, despite the weather being perfect.

Anyhow, we digress

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#7 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 10:03:53 am
We do! Still never done Christmas Crack.

On a wider 'parking in the peak' note, are any of the car parks enforced? e.g. Curbar, Surprise View? I pay more often than not but always feel bad when I don't, even if I don't need to. Would like to think at least some of the cash goes towards upkeep etc.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 10:15:11 am
The proposal at Millers Dale is to increase the parking spaces by 20% and paint white lines under the viaduct following complaints from locals.

I tend to walk in from Topley Pike when visiting Two Tier and upstream crags.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#9 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 10:20:27 am
I can't think of any that are enforced in the Eastern Peak but I could well be wrong.

Dovestones Reservoir & (I think) Torside are enforced in the west.

One of the poblems with Peak P&D car parks is that although you can get an annual Parking permit from the Park itself it doesn't cover all of the car parks as many are run by other organisations. Curbar Gap (National Trust/ RSPB), Dovestones (Oldham DC), Fairholmes (Severn Trent) and Robin Hood (National Trust/ RSPB that free field you used to be able to park in is closed now so there's no other option) are all examples of those that you have to fork out seperately for.

Would like to think at least some of the cash goes towards upkeep etc.

Quote from: Peak park website
How do we use car park fees?

To maintain the car parks
    Pay for litter removal (around 70 tonnes across the National Park each year)
    Improve and maintain on-site toilet facilities
    Provide visitor information
    Look after path networks from car parks, safeguarding landscape and habitats
    Install CCTV cameras in collaboration with Derbyshire Police to reduce crime

As I say though, not all of the car parks are owned by them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:34:37 am by cheque »

SamT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 10:27:58 am
Never ever heard of any of the eastern moors car parking being enforced.

Cant remember the last time I saw a ranger to be honest. 

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#11 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 10:40:28 am
Access to the national park is a right, whereas access by car for the able bodied is a privilege afforded by wealth, so I don't mind paying to park my car in a well maintained carpark as long as the money goes to support the upkeep. I accept that car parking charges encourage some people to abandon their cars in "free" parking spaces, which can block access and damage the verge so I'd rather the "parking police" spent their time enforcing this rather than people who haven't paid for a pay and display ticket.  I'm undecided as to whether I'd like to see the carparks increased in size to manage with the bank holiday traffic or if a park and ride scheme would work, probably not unless anti-social parking was enforced with an iron fist.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Millers Dale station
January 11, 2019, 01:58:51 pm
One of the problems with Peak P&D car parks is that although you can get an annual Parking permit from the Park itself it doesn't cover all of the car parks as many are run by other organisations. Curbar Gap (National Trust/ RSPB), Dovestones (Oldham DC), Fairholmes (Severn Trent) and Robin Hood (National Trust/ RSPB that free field you used to be able to park in is closed now so there's no other option) are all examples of those that you have to fork out seperately for.

Your BMC reps have been arguing strongly for a holistic approach, area-wide approach for the eastern edges in particular. Increased charges and enforcement will only push people onto the many verges (e.g. outside the plantation) where you are perfectly legally entitled to park. The Stanage sticker was one way round this which was successful and widely lauded but quickly abandoned by the park. The forecasts for increased revenue which the park based the changes on did not take any of this context into account.

I'd also note that most climbers would have no problem paying charges which are decent value (e.g. Dovestones). The problem at the Plantation is also exacerbated by the threat of being locked in after dark.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal