the shizzle > two wheel spiel

MTB clothing recommendations

(1/6) > >>

nik at work:
UKB hive mind I have purchased a MTB (second hand santa cruz nomad) and am after some clothing suggestions. The problem I have is living on a rock in the middle of the Irish sea the only locally available outlets are set up for tax exiles with money to burn so tend to stock items at the pimp end of the scale. Also I'm a noob so don't really know what to wear/get. I want to be warm and comfy while falling of my bike on doubtless rain sodden trails, but ideally without bankrupting myself (although I appreciate this is likely inevitable in cycling...).
All suggestions advice gratefully received as ever.

SamT:
I tend to look at what chain reaction have got in clearance

nik at work:
Sounds sensible.

But I think I'm even more clueless than that... There is a lot of stuff on chain reactions website... I guess what I'm asking is what type of things would you recommend getting/see as essential?
E.g. for trad you might recommend getting a set of wires and some cams to start with, but not bother with tricams and rp's initially. I want to know what is the wires/cams and what is the tricams/rp's of the MTB world if that makes sense...

Yossarian:
I typically aim for a variation of this theme...

ChrisC:
Proper MTB shoes, 5.10 seem to own the market.  Even if riding with flat pedals make massive difference to how well your feet stick.  And shin pads (or good plasters) are a handy addition when you slip a pedal...

Gloves, both for warm fingers in winter and extra grip on the bars.

Kneed (and elbow) pads are a smart investment. Don't buy the cheapest because they will be uncomfortable and then you won't be as inclined to wear them.  The VPD/Ballistic Gel style ones are great, I can wear mine all day and forget they are on after a while.  When starting out I bought new pads to cover the new cuts and bruises after each crash, with the benefit of hindsight I should have bought them all at the start and saved some pain.

Cycling clothing is often overpriced, any old breathable/wicking/quick drying stuff works just as well on the upper body.  For the lower body I find cycling shorts that won't catch on the saddle and trousers that are not baggy around the heels do make a worthwhile difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version