UKBouldering.com

MTB clothing recommendations (Read 6677 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 09:42:17 am
UKB hive mind I have purchased a MTB (second hand santa cruz nomad) and am after some clothing suggestions. The problem I have is living on a rock in the middle of the Irish sea the only locally available outlets are set up for tax exiles with money to burn so tend to stock items at the pimp end of the scale. Also I'm a noob so don't really know what to wear/get. I want to be warm and comfy while falling of my bike on doubtless rain sodden trails, but ideally without bankrupting myself (although I appreciate this is likely inevitable in cycling...).
All suggestions advice gratefully received as ever.

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 10:35:42 am
I tend to look at what chain reaction have got in clearance

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 10:50:09 am
Sounds sensible.

But I think I'm even more clueless than that... There is a lot of stuff on chain reactions website... I guess what I'm asking is what type of things would you recommend getting/see as essential?
E.g. for trad you might recommend getting a set of wires and some cams to start with, but not bother with tricams and rp's initially. I want to know what is the wires/cams and what is the tricams/rp's of the MTB world if that makes sense...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 11:15:51 am
I typically aim for a variation of this theme...

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#4 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 11:42:24 am
Proper MTB shoes, 5.10 seem to own the market.  Even if riding with flat pedals make massive difference to how well your feet stick.  And shin pads (or good plasters) are a handy addition when you slip a pedal...

Gloves, both for warm fingers in winter and extra grip on the bars.

Kneed (and elbow) pads are a smart investment. Don't buy the cheapest because they will be uncomfortable and then you won't be as inclined to wear them.  The VPD/Ballistic Gel style ones are great, I can wear mine all day and forget they are on after a while.  When starting out I bought new pads to cover the new cuts and bruises after each crash, with the benefit of hindsight I should have bought them all at the start and saved some pain.

Cycling clothing is often overpriced, any old breathable/wicking/quick drying stuff works just as well on the upper body.  For the lower body I find cycling shorts that won't catch on the saddle and trousers that are not baggy around the heels do make a worthwhile difference.

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 12:08:22 pm
I guess finding a pair of padded inners that are comfy is a start too, but impossible without trying them on.  Mine feel a bit too much like I'm wearing an oversize nappy

nik at work

• forum hero
#6 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 01:02:44 pm
And I can never unsee that... :lol:

But cheers for the advice so far everyone, exactly what I was after  :2thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 02:48:42 pm
I've recently bought myself a MTB.  :devangel:

My Fox Ranger gloves seem great (bought from an online retailer).

My 5.10 access seem pretty good at sticking to my flats (I'm a complete n00b though).

I was pretty shocked to receive a pair of Troy Lee shorts for Christmas which are hand wash only  :o (they seem to be doing fine in the washing machine).

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 03:48:42 pm
I’ve got some £10 decathlog mtb shorts that are great. Though I only wear them for climbing (and in the beach a couple of times..)... stretchy and a decent cut for my skinny limbs.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#9 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 10, 2019, 04:10:47 pm
Brand wise something like Endura is not a bad starting point. They do stuff at a wide variety of price points, and are a lot less garish than stuff like Fox or Troy Lee, They are based in Scotland so probably a bit better suited to our typical riding conditions too.

I'm sure you have some of this from outdoor already, but I'd start with a long sleeved baselayer, a couple of pairs of padded bib shorts (the best you can afford), a pair of baggy shorts and a relatively cheap cycling jersey. If you intend to use a hydration pack then any tech tee will do as you won't need the pockets.

For summer a simple pertex type gilet or jacket will probably suffice, and as the position on an mtb is less extreme than on a road bike, walking/climbing ones will do. For winter a Vapourise style jacket can be very handy too.

Pads are a personal thing, and pretty pricey. As my wheels very rarely leave the ground I have never bothered other than in the Alps, but you do see plenty of folk pedalling slowly round the Peak fully padded up. If you intend on jumping around then they might be worth investigating. 

5.10 are the default flat pedal brand, and there are loads of options if you do clip in instead.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 07:42:31 am
Another one lost to the leg shavers posse.
Will it ever end?
Every time I read a post like this, I cry inside, then I go on ebay and buy some more weights.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 07:57:38 am
😂 bravo nibs.

SamT

• forum hero
#12 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 08:04:14 am
 :lol:

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 08:48:46 am
Will it ever end?
Every time I read a post like this, I cry inside, then I go on ebay and buy some more weights.
I thought every Italian was born with a birthmark that read Colnago.

nik at work

• forum hero
#14 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 08:55:31 am
Cheers for the further advice and suggestions folks :2thumbsup:

Fear not Nibs, there will be no leg shaving. After taking most of last year off climbing I have SYKE back. The bike is so I can go out with bike keen Dylan on the trails.
But despair not of the next generation, the climbing baton has been firmly grasped, and crushed to fuck, by Sam. He's a little monster, I think you'd be proud.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#15 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 01:20:49 pm
Will it ever end?
I thought every Italian was born with a birthmark that read Colnago.
Despite having a poster on my bedroom walls with Saronni on his Colnago, my first ever road bike was a Bianchi that I got for passing my final exam of primary school aged 10.
In any case, it's not the passion for shaved legs and veiny quads that's under scrutiny here, it's the despicable habit that some people have, of leaving climbing for cycling.
It must be the gear/weight obsession...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#16 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 11, 2019, 01:27:04 pm
He's a little monster, I think you'd be proud.
Glad to hear that Nik.
At least the sins of the fathers shall not be visited upon (one of) the sons.
 :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 16, 2019, 11:44:06 am
I tend to look at what chain reaction have got in clearance

wiggle too. Free returns are a winner.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#18 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 17, 2019, 09:46:11 am
Will it ever end?
I started my rebellion to the climbers-turned-cyclists posse, by visiting Jim Wendler's (of 5/3/1 fame) online shop, and buying a few t-shirts.
One reads: Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend.
Another one reads: Train to be dangerous.

webbo

• forum hero
#19 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 17, 2019, 03:13:50 pm
Will it ever end?
I started my rebellion to the climbers-turned-cyclists posse, by visiting Jim Wendler's (of 5/3/1 fame) online shop, and buying a few t-shirts.
One reads: Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend.
Another one reads: Train to be dangerous.
I have no idea who Jim Wender is but given once upon a time the tubing to have your bike made from was 531 tubing. Is he trying to tell you something.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 17, 2019, 05:06:42 pm
 :o 8) 8) 8) 8)
In reality, Jim Wendler is a mountain of a man, creator of the 5/3/1 training method.
This is the right place and time to announce to the world that...
I AM TRANSLATING HIS BOOK FOR THE ITALIAN VERSION!!!

andy_e

• forum hero
#21 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 19, 2023, 03:35:07 pm
What are people's thoughts on 5.10 Freeriders, has the build qulity gone the same direction as the climbing shoes since Adidas stepped in?

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#22 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 19, 2023, 05:06:45 pm
No, they're fine. You can pick them up nice and cheap now too.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#23 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 19, 2023, 07:42:07 pm
If there isn't a dropper on it, I'd recommend for extra fun. Think there are some super deals somewhere t the moment (£50?) . Can look where it is/was if off interest?

chriss

• stalker
#24 Re: MTB clothing recommendations
January 19, 2023, 07:57:48 pm
They are definitely shitter, but as mentioned they are cheap enough not to worry as much. Grip is still good, which is the main thing for a flat pedal shoe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal