UKBouldering.com

Yesterday’s news / today’s bog paper (Read 10573 times)

andy popp

• forum hero

Doylo

• forum hero
Instas’s great for something to look at when you’re bored but thumbs down to excessive gimpiness and the accounts where every single post is about them. Is there nothing else in the world?

Wood FT

• forum hero
filmed on a sony VX1000 about life before insta  8)

Dream camera, big swooooooping cut-away. Yeah.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Good thread.

As a counterpoint - Mark Twight after getting shut of Gym Jones has been very smart about the media side of Non-Prophet.  A long podcast with some great guests and a printed ‘zine “Raze” with high quality contributors and a limited print run. 

Yossarian

• forum hero
Also, though I liked Shawn Raboutou’s film a lot, I thought his Supreme wardrobe was ever-so-slightly trying too hard. I’m wouldn’t be surprised if his next effort is styled by Virgil Abloh with some custom Off-White slippers, with STICKY RUBBER stencilled on the side.

On a related note, I once attended the Glenfiddich Food Awards wearing a pair of khaki Moon pants. Antony Worrall Thompson gave them the thumbs up. This was before his conviction for shoplifting, so presumably he was keeping an eye out for voluminous trousers into which he could stash stolen cheese. 

user deactivated

Ps Dan, can you do an episode where you dress down a bit please. Those yellow pants are triggering my migraines

I can't remember the last time I owned yellow pants.... thankfully that phase passed relatively quickly.
I’m really hoping that Dan Turner does a hair episode on his YouTube channel sometime.

Yeah I will get that sorted. Need to do my what to wear at the crag video first though.

Brilliant stuff. Hopefully you’ll touch on the tricky issue of accessorising block mint / turquoise. And the suitability of crossover workwear.

I have to say.... Dickies work trousers are class, but heavily and surprisingly cold! However, I think with a Thrasher hoody and white socks.... I might be able to slip seamlessly in Dan's new documentary filmed on a sony VX1000 about life before insta  8)

It must have been another climber. Many years ago Dave ‘kryptonite’ Simmonite wanted some photos of wharncliffe for climber magazine. So being a bit of a knob I put my best boots and socks on, rolled up my trouser legs and wore a big mushroom shaped helmet. I was actually a bit gutted when one of the photos ended up in the BMC guide.

On a different note that camera looks fun. Great look. I’m sure there’s a great up market Panasonic version with a lovely colour profile. Think aqua marine by Paul Higginson was filmed with it.

Just hit the end of an era in my life and pulled the trigger on my Vimeo account. Huh

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
As a counterpoint - Mark Twight after getting shut of Gym Jones has been very smart about the media side of Non-Prophet.  A long podcast with some great guests and a printed ‘zine “Raze” with high quality contributors and a limited print run.

Generally love the Non Prophet stuff and the long podcasts are great to get stuck into on long drives. Unfortunately I don't think Marks co-host Mr Blevins is quite as smart as he thinks he is, and some of his input can be quite grating.

The Raze zines are great and I'm looking forward to the book I just spent far too much money on!

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
The project magazine (I think) have tried to balance this out with ad free - more in-depth articles and photo-essays.

ad-free ... not sure about that? It doesn't take many clicks on the site to stumble over various metrosexual advertorial stuff:

https://www.theprojectmagazine.com/life/2018/11/22/united-by-blue-bison-puffer
https://www.theprojectmagazine.com/life/2018/10/30/everlane-recycled-plastic-renew-collection
https://www.theprojectmagazine.com/life/2018/10/1/wayks-one-modular-backpack
https://www.theprojectmagazine.com/life/2018/5/5/topo-designs-x-fronteer
etc

Hey Habrich, I just want to nip this stupid shit in the bud. We're completely ad free, supported purely by our own pocket. Just because we run lifestyle content doesn't mean its paid for - you're obviously just not the audience for it. 

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

ad-free ... not sure about that? It doesn't take many clicks on the site to stumble over various metrosexual advertorial stuff:

I think the advertorial approach is way better than 10 animated banners on each page in terms of a user experience. You can avoid what you're not interested in by not clicking through, and you might actually see something you do like the look of.

Also don't think I've heard anyone use metrosexual in about a decade!

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
Strong grumpy thread this. Good point from Cheque about Instagram though, which I also don't have. Same argument as Twitter (which I do); that what you see is almost entirely down to you. If someone is annoying you, you stop following them.

Re the Project, I've liked a few of their pieces (the Hard Grit one springs to mind) but a lot of it has also struck me as thinly disguised ego massaging masquerading as good writing. I have also heard stories about not paying their contributors which really ticks me off. No one should be working for free; if you can't afford to pay your staff the business shouldn't exist. If this has changed I stand corrected!

I just want to make sure that while you were hearing those stories you read our About section. The entire point of the model of the Project is it is a sustainable publishing model for the good of the community - everyone retains the rights to their own work, we don't monetize it and if we ever did contributors would benefit as we have set out. We run the mag in our spare time because we felt there was a need for a space for creative climbers. The content may not be for you, but that's ok - we're not for everyone. We've had a lot of messages from people who have taken up photography after being inspired by the mag, that's our motivation and audience.

user deactivated

Also don't think I've heard anyone use metrosexual in about a decade!

Get yer self to Chorlton mate

tomtom

• forum hero
Also, though I liked Shawn Raboutou’s film a lot, I thought his Supreme wardrobe was ever-so-slightly trying too hard. I’m wouldn’t be surprised if his next effort is styled by Virgil Abloh with some custom Off-White slippers, with STICKY RUBBER stencilled on the side.

On a related note, I once attended the Glenfiddich Food Awards wearing a pair of khaki Moon pants. Antony Worrall Thompson gave them the thumbs up. This was before his conviction for shoplifting, so presumably he was keeping an eye out for voluminous trousers into which he could stash stolen cheese.

😂😂. Gotta love UKB

petejh

• forum hero
Instas’s great for something to look at when you’re bored but thumbs down to excessive gimpiness and the accounts where every single post is about them. Is there nothing else in the world?

The quality of climbing meedja - news or articles - could be improved overnight if the rule was you could only talk about somebody else.
I think that's partly what makes instagram so forgettable and disposable. It's usually a person, trying to get attention, by showing pictures or vid of themselves - that isn't 'news' and it isn't interesting thought-out opinion. It's the modern equivalent of seeing someone's holiday postcard. You're getting someone's holiday postcard every single day if you want. The editorial voice, a different perspective or placing of events in some sort of context, is gone. Deciding what's worth talking about is gone. So those who can't help but talk about themselves have nothing to prevent them.

Most of the best climbing writing contains a large element of describing somebody else. Caff's most enjoyable writing isn't about Caff. Grimer's occasional articles paint pictures of other people he encounters.

Doylo's, Ricky's, Cheque's films aren't about themselves. The best films give an insight into other people, or the history of  climb, or the nature in which the action takes place - Ricky's films always contain interesting snippets of the wider context of the landscape and the flora/fauna surrounding the climbs, as well as other people.

Some self-referential films that shine do so because the character is interesting  - not a top wad android - and even then it's the style of film-making and flair that makes them stand out  - Issac Buckley's ones for e.g.

Recently had the dubious pleasure of watching Brit Rock, wouldn't usually bother but it seemed like a reasonable way to spend an evening with a friend. Seems some of the same old spraylords are still spraying their attention craving nonsense - for e.g. 'no new routeing going on in the UK' (except for our heroes of course)?! I think Iain Small and a fair few others might disagree. The Madagascar film I thought was hyperbolic self-obsessed eye-rolling guff - zero recognition of any other route on the face or the history behind other ascents. No context, no history to take focus away from themselves - that seems like the way of some self-obsessed climbing spraylords. It says something that I can't remember the name, grade, style of ascent, or any real detail of their instantly forgettable new route, which I'm sure is great quality and great fun but who really cares. Thought the shot of the main protagonist on his portaledge real-time instagraming about his trip to another 'pro climber' said it all really.
I sat there thinking most of those films aren't aimed at keen climbers anymore, they're aimed at people who want to watch another extreme sport that they'll probably never do. That market readily accepts all the sponsorship advertising as normal and they need the hyperbole to make things seem meaningful. That's the market that's paying for the spraylord's trips - a undiscerning audience begets mundane content.
Seemed to me a difference from how climbing films used to be. They might not have been any better 10-15 years ago, but they were aimed at a more discerning audience.

Thought the most interesting film was the portrait of Will Bosi, which gave a bit of insight into the person, the training and determination without him needing to say very much..

My 2 cents worth
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:12:10 pm by petejh »

user deactivated

Woah top rant Pete, particularly liked the spraylords bit. Brilliant. So how does Brit rock stand up against blocheads? 🤣

Doylo

• forum hero
I always prefer filming other people- same as with the old blog. Preferred writing about others news. With Insta I’m not too bothered about people posting about themselves. I do it sometimes and like to see what’s going on, but when it’s constant and the whole account is what I’ve climbed last it gets a bit dull (and weird)! But I’m not that bothered, it serves its purpose as something to look at on your lunch break or when resting when training.
Brit Rock thing was shite.

user deactivated

When is it ‘ok’ to film yourself then lads? I’m starting to get worried my feature length iPhone climbing selfie vid of mid grade grit routes my be a bit narcissistic.

petejh

• forum hero
Haha I knew you and maybe Turnip would wonder that after I posted that!

I like your vids Dan, (and other Dan) - not that I'm any arbiter. I think it's obvious you aren't making them for the sake of being seen and heard!

edit: I think your vids Dan often highlight an obscure hardish grit route and inspire people to seek them out / are useful for beta, and have some good tunes and a bit of soul about them. Other Dan's, I think are always genuinely dead enthusiastic about whatever the problem/venue and simply bouldering/training in general, and are again inspiring to go and seek out some of the lines. Neither come across as anything other than an enthusiastic climber sharing the love.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:00:47 pm by petejh »

Doylo

• forum hero
It’s ok to film yourself anytime. Just more narcissist proof when you occasionally acknowledge the existence of other humans.
As for climbing news I only read articles about people climbing 9b if I’m really bored. I will jack off when Moony does Northern Lights though.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

I just want to make sure that while you were hearing those stories you read our About section. The entire point of the model of the Project is it is a sustainable publishing model for the good of the community - everyone retains the rights to their own work, we don't monetize it and if we ever did contributors would benefit as we have set out. We run the mag in our spare time because we felt there was a need for a space for creative climbers. The content may not be for you, but that's ok - we're not for everyone. We've had a lot of messages from people who have taken up photography after being inspired by the mag, that's our motivation and audience.

I stand corrected! Should have informed myself before mouthing off; my bad.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:05:25 am by spidermonkey09 »

user deactivated

Doylo you’re an obsessed man 😂. It’s clear that you only film other human beings when their failure makes you look good. And Pete cheers dude, it’s like Ken Wilson said ‘the rock is the star’

user deactivated

Hang on a minute, sorry Doylo that was supposed to read. It should be that any climbers should only film others. Not you mate. 😬 God I hate the internet

Doylo

• forum hero
Hang on a minute, sorry Doylo that was supposed to read. It should be that any climbers should only film others. Not you mate. 😬 God I hate the internet

I like getting footage and if got a load footage of a proj or something will edit it cos always have. But other people is always more fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal