UKBouldering.com

Decent Scales (Read 1506 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Decent Scales
January 08, 2019, 11:35:50 am
So current scales seem to be very inconsistent - have been surprised for a while at how much my weight seems to vary on a day to day basis - can often be 1kg which seems unlikely, would you agree/disagree? Also I did a bit of testing this morning and got up to 1.4 kgs variation just by moving them about between readings. This was all on a flat wood floor and was careful not to put the feet on any joints. My GF doesn't seem to have same issue - her weight is much more consistent day to day?

Anyone got any ideas on what I could be doing wrong, or failing that an accurate/consistent set to replace them with? not really interest in any body fat measuring stuff.

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Decent Scales
January 08, 2019, 12:28:17 pm
Set of these -  :-\

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#2 Re: Decent Scales
January 08, 2019, 01:51:25 pm
I would have though 1kg would be well within what could be explained simply through fluctuation in water retention relating to carbohydrate/glycogen levels, unless you are incredibly consistent with diet and training levels.

Think the important thing is using same set of scales.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Decent Scales
January 08, 2019, 02:00:27 pm
As noted 1kg variation seems within a normal range for variation in hydration etc. but it does sound like the scales might be rubbish if you're getting different readings moving them about. May be worth trying on a piece of ply of something to see if there are small variations in between floorboards causing the difference?

On the fat %age side of things, I don't think anything besides caliper tests and those tank things give you anything near an accurate reading.

remus

• forum hero
#4 Re: Decent Scales
January 08, 2019, 04:42:56 pm
As mentioned above 1kg is pretty well within the fluctuations for someone of your size. I've gotten in to the habit of weighing myself pre and post toilet routine in the morning (as you do...) and 750g difference is pretty common (then you can add on any other fluctuations from the other factors mentioned above). Standing on the scales funnily can also make a big difference as you found out.

Probably well beyond what's actually necessary, but if you want accurate scales then you want a set of Class iii or Class iv scales. From memory, both classes are pretty accurate but I think class iii are calibrated more precisely as they're generally aimed at medical use (where you need to dispense drugs based on patient weight). Obviously you'll fork over a fat wedge for the privilege of knowing your bodyweight that accurately and precisely. https://www.marsden-weighing.co.uk/index.php/medical-scales/gp-scales.html

Duma

• forum hero
#5 Re: Decent Scales
January 08, 2019, 04:46:37 pm
cheers all, fwiw I'm very consistent in weighing myself first thing post toilet, and always try to stand on it the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal