UKBouldering.com

Ropes on planes (Read 2601 times)

noshjewbold

Ropes on planes
January 08, 2019, 07:38:10 pm
Anyone got any experience of taking a rope in hand luggage on a plane? Got a feeling my bag is gonna be over 20kg so may need to put some stuff in my hand luggage.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1 Re: Ropes on planes
January 08, 2019, 08:27:29 pm
Not dared try it myself.  UKC has occasional posts of woe from people who've had ropes and / or harnesses confiscated, seemingly in case they try to tie-up other passengers!  That said, other posters on those threads have said they got away with it; very much a matter of the caprice of the security / baggage staff.  If my weight allowance is marginal, I usually just put more innocuous stuff in my hand luggage - clothes, a pair of rock shoes, any books, belay specs etc

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Ropes on planes
January 08, 2019, 09:12:35 pm
I’ve seen this.

It’s got Samuel L Jackson in it, hasn’t it?

noshjewbold

#3 Re: Ropes on planes
January 09, 2019, 08:51:59 am
Cheers moose was just thinking about the rope as its the heaviest soft good if it’s massively over but yeah i can transfer over shoes and books first.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Ropes on planes
January 09, 2019, 09:12:51 am
I've done it a lot in the past. But several years ago, someone at security told me it wasn't allowed and I had to go back and check it in as another piece of hold luggage. I couldn't work out if it was a change of rules or just that person being skittish.

Motown

• regular
#5 Re: Ropes on planes
January 09, 2019, 09:38:06 am
Also done in the past (UK - Spain) but this was over 5 years ago.

Was not allowed on more recent flights - within Middle East.

Would put in main bag now rather than worry through airport.

adamsriches

#6 Re: Ropes on planes
January 09, 2019, 11:53:45 am
I had to take mine out of hand luggage and check it on a flight back from Turkey a couple of years ago. Haven't risked it since.
That said I know plenty of people who take them on board on short haul flights within the EU via Ryanair or Easyjet, so believe that is possible.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7 Re: Ropes on planes
January 09, 2019, 01:53:11 pm
Basically airport security are at liberty to rule anything as a risk — to whom exactly are you going to appeal? Considering that you're likely to have less than an hour before last call?

I'd say that most of the time you can fly with a rope in carry on, especially from small airports. Some times someone who likes to wield vested authority will randomly decided that it is not allowed. Such is life. Take the train, it is better for the environment as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal