UKBouldering.com

Old Newbie from Cornwall (Read 1959 times)

BuzyG

Old Newbie from Cornwall
January 01, 2019, 11:28:36 pm
Evening all.  Thought I would say hello.  I'm relearning climbing afternoon 35+ years away from a rock face, mostly spent body boarding the Cornish sea's.  Any ways that was getting tough on these old bones, so I thought, what can I do now that's far more relaxing and safe, I know, I'll get back into climbing.

So here I am a couple of years on.  I have done a few basic scrambles with my lad around Snowdon horseshoe.  Up Great end cust gully, CMD arrette on the Ben those sort of routes.  All well and good when there is time, but what to do closer to home at weekends.

So I started tor bagging n Dartmoor and suddenly I needed to top out hundreds of little climbs without the use of a rope.  Some of which I could not get up at first.  So I joined the climbing hanger in Plymouth soon realised the reason I was struggling was because I was tragically bad at climbing. LoL.

Any way I am improving slowly and have now topped out all bar a couple of the tors that were eluding me previously.  So I thought I would join in here and say hello and hopefully meet up with a few others who are equally tragic but try hard.

JohnG  :)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Old Newbie from Cornwall
January 01, 2019, 11:52:08 pm
others who are equally tragic but try hard.

JohnG  :)

That’s a pretty fair summation of many of us on here. Welcome!  :wave:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Old Newbie from Cornwall
January 03, 2019, 09:26:18 am
Aye, about right. New Climber's Club Dartmoor Guide is worth getting if you are venturing out locally, great guidebook.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Old Newbie from Cornwall
January 03, 2019, 09:49:08 am
Nice one. Lovely area of the country to get back into climbing. Loads of easy bouldering on the moors, loads of genuinely thrilling easy adventures on the coast. GL HF.

BuzyG

#4 Re: Old Newbie from Cornwall
January 03, 2019, 10:55:47 pm
Thanks for the welcome guys. 

Not thought about sea cliffs much.  Guessing they mostly require some security.  Did buy a new rope when I went up to the lakes last, with my son.  Part of my old Climbing rope is still in the back of my car for towing, it must be 46 years old now.  :o Used the new one recently for an afternoon of climbing and a slow abseil at Foggintor quary, before my son headed off to New Zealand for a spot of adverture.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5 Re: Old Newbie from Cornwall
January 04, 2019, 07:51:24 am
Have you thought about joining a local club?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal