UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2019 (Read 32748 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 03:51:06 pm
7C.

My new problem grade pyramid has consistently had a few 7B+’s in it for the last 2-3 years so it’s about time I worked something harder. Liked the look of Tetris - so that’s one option... Colt at Brownstones another that I’ve been close on - otherwise I’ll keep fishing for the easiest date in town :) what’s in a number eh? :D

Other aims:
Grit: Blind Date, The Rib, Fire Wall.
Lime: Ovine I suppose, maybe put some more effort into Advanced Training.

Go to North Wales more - only went once last year despite guidebook psyche.

Maybe decide to do something different with my life work wise if it gets much shitter where I am.

Right. Toddler is awake. Father duties await :)

Wood FT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 06:14:23 pm
Thanks Cheque.

Sport: 8a+ - Have chosen GBH, think the moves suit me and have the beta, will see how it goes with travelling and psyche.

Boulder: 7B+/C - I’ve not bouldered harder than 7B and I think this is holding me back on the harder Peak Lime routes.

Trad: Good mileage on E3 and E4 - a long weekend ticking the mid-grade classics at Pembroke, the Pass and Gogarth. Feel safe, get the love back. Try boat to Naxos on a top-rope if Ram goes back on his route.

DWS: Mark of The Beast, Wizard of Oz Traverse with dinghy party & attempt new route.

Belaying: 9a belay (current best 8c+). Also, as a long-shot, belay Simon on a season PB on the Oak.

Other: Buy house, get Job, free Murciana ‘78 on the Bulnes.

Good luck and Happy New Year UKB, still providing the goods. Thread of year = Poo-gate

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 06:59:04 pm
1. Move south

2. Climb / travel more

3. Keep healing / improve health

Fucking rivetting eh.

Murph

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 07:14:49 pm
Good one Cheque reminded me to write up my 2018.

TT - good luck with those goals. Message me if you ever want to session Beginners. Best crag in the peak imo.

2019 Goals
The unfinished business ticklist.

About time I made some serious headway into getting through this pile:
Conan the Lib (6B)
Nicotine Stain (6B)
Technical Master (6B)
NTBTA (6C)
Repeat Sidetrack Strict regularly (7A)
Early Doors & repeat Gorilla (7A)
Bad Lip (7A)
Kidneystone, Soft on G, Mark's roof (all 7B and within shouting distance)
Piss (7B)
Zippy's Traverse without shoes (7B)

Other goals
Crush hard at the Bowderstone in July.
Climb my first 7B+
Repeat AT, find some other low hanging 7C to get stuck into but not sure what yet. Suggestions welcome. Is Tarantula @ Nuda's with toe hooks supposed to be soft? Any of the ones on Paint it Black?
Try to climb new places or at least new problems at old places at least once a month.

The usual non-climbing goals
Lose the Christmas weight and keep it off.
Kettlebells Simple standard.
Run consistently.
Try not to lose the plot and remember that it's all a bit of a laugh and doesn't matter anyway.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#5 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 08:13:08 pm
1. Climb a real™ 8b+. Don't care if it would be "No War" in Saint-Antonin or "Tennessee" in Gorges du Tarn (even if they are both 8b in the respective guide books).

2. Onsight a real™ 8a. I'm pretty sure that I've only done guide-book 8as onsight. A real one would be well satisfying. If I manage goal 1, goal 2 should be fairly easy.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 08:23:42 pm
Any of the ones on Paint it Black?

I think PiB is the best peak lime problem I've done, and deffo a worthy project. I think conditions can be weird though?

Murph

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 08:33:04 pm
That’ll be the one then. Thanks teestub.

sdm

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 08:45:29 pm
Repeat AT, find some other low hanging 7C to get stuck into but not sure what yet. Suggestions welcome. Is Tarantula @ Nuda's with toe hooks supposed to be soft?

Conditions can be a bit weird on it. It seems to be greasy/damp even when the rest of the crag is mint. I felt close to it after spending the end of 2 sessions on it despite the grease which probably means it's soft but I kept firing off holds without warning so I wasn't psyched to go back.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 09:15:34 pm
My aims for 2019 are essentially a lightly edited version of last year's, which to be honest sums up the inertia of the last few years!   On the one hand, I have the sunny outlook of a satellite in a slowly decaying orbit, spiraling gradually towards disintegration; on the other hand, I am mildly relieved that I am not (yet) getting significantly worse, despite age and a questionable attitude to food and alcohol.  Anyhow, enough self-pitying musings,

[1] Enjoy Siurana (and Margalef / Arboli etc) in January / February.  I hope to tick a few nice F7 classics and regain some fitness lost during 4 months of (largely indoor) bouldering.  But I will be happy to just see some sun and recover a little mojo after a long wet winter and a tricky few months of work.
[2] Boulder outdoors a few times before the routes season begins.  Various 7s on Yorkshire grit and Big Marine at C-y-L are ever-presents on the tick list.  I would also like to visit a few further afield crags during work trips (Northumbria and the Peak especially), though that is beyond my control. 
[3] Spring & Autumn: get on a new Malham project, as I've lost all enthusiasm for Predator.  Perhaps try Well Dunne Finish (trying to relearn Zoolook could be a good way to regain fitness), or maybe get on the Groove.
[4] Summer: get on a new 8a+/b Kilnsey project, I've not done Bullet, Full Tilt, Ecstasy, Vanilla Path, or the Ripper but none of them currently fill me with any great enthusiasm; hopefully a candidate will emerge (any suggestions welcome).
[5] Visit non Malham or Kilnsey crags; I had good sessions at Hollywood Bowl and Gordale last year.  That again plus re-visiting Chapel Head Scar and some Peak lime would do nicely.
[6] Maintain midweek training efforts: hangboard, woodie sessions, TRX.

"Life"
[1] Less booze; eat better [insert maniacal laughter gif].
[2] Less aimless web browsing: be more efficient at work (less needless long evenings in the office), read more at home [insert gif of man repeatedly headbutting a wall].
[3] Don't let work get on top of me [insert gif of a semi-nude Harvey Keitel in the Bad Lieutenant swigging vodka and weeping].

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 09:55:08 pm
I have the sunny outlook of a satellite in a slowly decaying orbit, spiraling gradually towards disintegration;

Priceless.

I want that on a ukb t shirt. 👍👍

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 10:13:45 pm
Men over 40 should not wear tee shirts with slogans.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 10:17:06 pm
Men over 40 should not wear tee shirts with slogans.

That’s Genius. Sheer fucking genius Webbo.

I’m gonna get those words printed on a T shirt tomorrow.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#13 Re: Aims for 2019
December 30, 2018, 10:59:41 pm
"Slogans"? My distilled wisdom is not a matter of salesman's gimmicks; lapidary epigrams are the trade!

andy popp

• forum hero
#14 Re: Aims for 2019
December 31, 2018, 12:36:40 am
free Murciana ‘78 on the Bulnes.

A fine aim.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Aims for 2019
December 31, 2018, 06:00:45 am
Well after pretty much a twelve year lay off, with a short return six years ago, I am now properly back on it and going into my second year boulder again, so in no particular order, except the first one, I should record my goals so I can be pilloried when I fail to achieve them. I make no apologies that some goals are simply maintaining current levels or getting back to previous levels but definitely time is against me.

Still be bouldering this time next year, not having let life get in the way.

Get solid on the Campus Board at 1-4-7 on small holds and 1-5-8 on the large and medium holds or even 1-5-8.5 if going well.

Hang bodyweight on Lattice Rung by March and plus 5 kilos on each arm by end of year.

Hang bodyweight on BM2K small edges on each arm.

Sort left shoulder out so that I can get OAP plus 5 kilo on left arm as well as on right.

Crack 8A again on Yorkshire Grit with Zoo York being a likely candidate of something that I haven’t done before.

Have another crack at Cherry Falls forgetting about the dozens of sessions that I spent not doing out twelve years ago.

Get back on the Bowderstone and repeat the classics that I’ve done before, specifically Inaudible Vaudeville, Grand Opera and Improper Opera.

Get up to Kentmere and try Tourniquet.

Climb in Parisella’s or elsewhere in North Wales at least twice in the year.

Get onto Peak Lime bouldering with sessions at Rubicon and Tor as a minimum. Do things I haven’t done before at both of 7C or harder.

Get familiar with some of the harder stuff on the Depot 50 Board. Being able to do all/some/any of the moves on Lobster Claw would be good.

Move house, build a board to rival my old one.

Find new off piste in Mayrhofen in January to ride. Shouldn’t be a problem in Tignes in February as first trip there so everything will be new. As an aside to this: don’t trash base of new snowboard.

Still be able to Bench BW x 1.5 and Deadlift BW x 2.5. Be able to Squat BW x 2.

Finish Transvulcania Half Marathon within an hour of Mrs B.

Plan post retirement trip.

Have fun……………actually that one should be up there as one not to miss.

Let’s see what the year brings.

Wood FT

• forum hero

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#17 Re: Aims for 2019
December 31, 2018, 11:09:08 am
Good luck with the goals everyone!

Take leader falls again. I haven’t taken a fall since my accident and I need to sort this ASAP as it’s pretty much the only scary thing I haven’t done as part of my recovery yet.

Since I was first told that 18 months out from my accident would be the “new normal” date when I’m physically as recovered as I’ll get I’ve set the target of Leading HVS and low 6s and carrying normal loads to the crag by the end of September and I’m sticking with that. Obviously it would be great to go far beyond it though...

Finish one or, ideally both of my new films.

Stretch and regain flexibility I lost so much flexibility this year. Progress in getting it back has begun already but has so far been limited by recovery levels. A concerted, organised effort is going to be needed throughout this year.

Capitalise on positives from 2018 I’ve gained a new approach to lots of things this year- I can suddenly see training as a long game with incremental improvement as a reward for sticking with a plan, my attitude to and tolerance of pain and discomfort is completely different, when I climb now I try far harder than I ever have and I generally have a more optimistic/ open-minded view of how things could and might pan out. I want these aspects of my life to be permanent changes, not temporary ones. I got an incredible chance this year and I want to make the most of it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#18 Re: Aims for 2019
December 31, 2018, 04:31:59 pm
Abide by the rules: :rtfm:
1.   Take at least 3 complete rests of 7-10 days during the year and every 3-4 weeks have an easier (non-training) week 
2.   Minimum of 2 deadhang sessions a week except on planned easy weeks, rest weeks and trips 
3.   Only commit to routes and problems that I genuinely think I can do within 4 sessions in a season (Oak excepted). 2 extra bonus days allowable if close on the send/redpoint
4.   If I haven’t got past the horn on the Oak from the ground within 5 sessions then sack it off for the season

Do a one arm pull-up again

Just because

The Oak

Prepare well mentally and physically over the next two months ready for when it next comes into condition

Find a part time job I’m psyched for

Possibly a role in the not-for-profit sector generating commercial revenue. Open to offers! Alternatively come to terms with semi retirement.

Keep dancing...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:01:58 pm by shark »

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Aims for 2019
January 01, 2019, 07:36:22 pm
A maintain year I think due to complicated relationship visa problems....

Climb 20 7A or harder including some in my anti style

Climb 30+ 7's again

10-14 days in a warmer climate over winter

Climb x3 7c's

Plan a big trip for 2020

Sort out visa issues which is preventing trips

csl

• junky
#20 Re: Aims for 2019
January 01, 2019, 09:00:53 pm
One of: 7C/8a/E5 or anything off my unfinished business list

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#21 Re: Aims for 2019
January 01, 2019, 10:18:37 pm
1. Manage elbow niggles and avoid other injuries, get weight down a bit (sub 11 1/2 st) and stretch at least once a week.

2. Climb lots of E4/5s in the South West.  Would be good to do some off last year's list.

3. Go the Rucksack Club Gogarth meet and climb one of the main cliff E5s.  Alternatively I'd settle for a weekend trip somewhere else outside the South West..

4. RP 8a.  Not sure how realistic this, given that the nearest one is now 2 hrs drive from home and at the weekends I would usually rather go trad climbing.

Bradders

• forum hero
#22 Re: Aims for 2019
January 02, 2019, 08:37:23 am
-- >8hrs sleep every night

-- tick off more from This is Yorkshire

-- go sport climbing at least once

-- 3x nemesis problems; Iron Man, Lager3 and Ribtickler

-- better 2018 tally of 86 new problems 7A and up

-- >25% of the above to be 7C and up

-- 7C on the Depot 50

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#23 Re: Aims for 2019
January 02, 2019, 09:18:42 am
- complete Yorkshire Triple Crown, weather permitting.

- fill in a few gaps on the long term goal of ticking the left wall at Malham. GBH and Baboo would be nice.

- investigate Cry Freedom or Bat Route.

- go trad climbing a bit more to keep my hand in. Go to the Lakes especially for this.

- sort out work to hopefully allow significantly more flexible working and/or some part time, remote work for a set amount per year. Equally perfectly willing to sack it off so hopefully a half reasonable negotiating position!

- get plans in place for a long Spain trip towards the end of the year.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#24 Re: Aims for 2019
January 02, 2019, 10:38:54 am
Sport: Something in the 8a/+ region in Yorkshire. Zoolook is the obvious one I've not yet done.
More in the Peak. An 8 at the Tor would be great.
Bouldering: try and get back up to 7b/+. Not fussed what.
Trad: yeah, whatever...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal