UKBouldering.com

2018 New (and some old) Music (Read 11647 times)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#25 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
December 29, 2018, 05:08:55 pm
Hi andy, hi rob  :wave:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#26 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
December 29, 2018, 11:42:05 pm
I've been enjoying.

Aquaduct Ensemble - Improvisations on an Apricot. Not sure what genre it is, and I don't really care. Have listened to this more than anything else this year I think.

Nice one CSL - When you shared this on Twitter the other week I thought it was great.

It’s Jazz - you’re a Jazz fan now. 😀 you can buy a Vibraphone and form an improv duet called “Negative Capability”.

Al - Hi!

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#27 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
December 30, 2018, 06:51:23 pm
Hi Ben thanks for the list, am working through it, some gems

Tom J

#28 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
December 30, 2018, 08:58:37 pm
This is the only thread I ever check on UKB, I never have anything to add 'cause I spend each year following up on FD's fantastic rec's from the year before.

Thanks so much to the OP, it's hugely appreciated.

Tom J

#29 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
December 30, 2018, 09:00:55 pm

Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe - Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe. Another Twin Peaks Roadhouse band candidate.  All dreamy lysergic vocals and reverb drenched surf guitar.

Just got this and its badass.

Didn't know K Vile and R Walker had newies this year so thats great news - pyshced.

Thanks again

Yossarian

• forum hero
#30 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
December 31, 2018, 11:19:41 am
Things I enjoyed this year have included...

Martyn - Voids

Octavian - Spaceman

Ocean Wisdom - Wizville

Marie Davidson - Working Class Woman

Nao - Saturn

The Field - Infinite Moment

Christine and the Queens - Chris

The Blaze - Dancehall

Helena Hauff - Qualm

Diplo - California EP

Ivo Neame - Moksha

Phronesis - We Are All

Colter Wall - Songs of the Plains

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#31 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 01, 2019, 05:19:02 pm
This is the only thread I ever check on UKB, I never have anything to add 'cause I spend each year following up on FD's fantastic rec's from the year before.

Thanks so much to the OP, it's hugely appreciated.

Wow! Thanks Tom.  I’ll try to keep doing it then.  I feel like a bit of a presumptuous dick writing these threads each year so that’s nice to hear.  Happy New Year.

Yossarian - Gosh I’ve not heard any of those.  Thanks! (and it’s been great to have you back on UKb this year)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#32 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 03, 2019, 02:55:48 pm
Really enjoying Singularity FD. Thanks.

I seem to have spent a lot of time listening to Johann Johannsson film scores particularly Sicario.

This led to onto Vangellis and the Bladerunner score.

and his other stuff like Spiral

Heaven and hell

and Albedo 0.39. Bits of those above were used on Carl Sagan's original Cosmos series.

Other stuff I've enjoyed include Kurt Vile, Courtney Barnett, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Anna Calvi, St Vincent and this from Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs

Plattsy

• forum hero
#33 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 03, 2019, 03:56:17 pm
Alpha from Albedo 0.39 with a ISS timelapse footage

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#34 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 03, 2019, 08:38:38 pm
Love this thread every year and was starting to get concerned by it's late arrival.

These are slightly cheats as they are all bands I saw live this year but not always the records that came out in 2018.

Dave Graham's older brother: Phlegma phighter.

Wooden Shjips: V

Kikagaku Moyo: Trad. (first four minutes is a bit driving to the crag but it warms up). House in the Tall Grass is well worth checking out if you're into obscure Japanese psychedelia.

Die Walkure: Wotan's Farewell (Keilberth/Hotter)

(double cheat as this was the Royal Opera and I was not actually at Bayreuth in 1953)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#35 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 05, 2019, 03:52:07 pm
It took me ages to find out what this track was called - nice progressive electronic shizzle

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#36 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 05, 2019, 04:46:11 pm
Some great additions - keep them coming.  I've got a massive backlog on Tidal now...

Duncan - The Kikago Moyo album is fantastic. Never heard off them before - it's right up my street.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#37 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 05, 2019, 05:50:28 pm
Plattsy - The Sicario soundtrack is a great shout.  I loved it whilst watching the film and the sequel - that heavy, descending doom laden, dread.  I've got it on now and did some research.

https://deadline.com/2018/02/johann-johannsson-sicario-composer-oscars-best-score-1201664692/

"For example, in this cue, which is called “The Beast,”—and all throughout the score, really—I was influenced by industrial music of the ’80s, groups like Swans, Test Dept., and even Throbbing Gristle."

No wonder I liked it so much.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

csl

• junky
#39 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 23, 2019, 09:21:28 am
The Kikago Moyo album is fantastic. Never heard off them before - it's right up my street.

Playing the Electric Brixton 25th May, supported by Wooden Shjips and various other weirdos.

I hope my brother cancels his wedding, I want to go

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#40 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 23, 2019, 09:50:21 am
I'm definitely keen for that Duncan - will mail you.

The new Steve Gunn album "The Unseen In-between" came out on Friday.  It's really good (but I am biased).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#41 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
January 25, 2019, 07:05:02 pm
So I missed this one last year.  The Messthetics - The Messthetics.  This one should be popular with several UKB'ers as it's Brendan Canty and Joe Lally, the drummer and bassist from Fugazi teaming up with Anthony Pirog on guitar. Instantly recognisable and yet right up to date and not Fugazi. Brilliant.

The new Steve Gunn is fantastic _and_ William Tyler has a new one out today. Goes West.  If it's anything like Modern Country I'll be a happy man.  Two fabulous Americana artists in one week!

Also out this week, the 46 year old Black Thought (the Roots) has done two EP's on the back of his epic, jaw dropping done-in-one-take with incredible breath control 10 minute freestyle on Funkmaster Flex's show last year.  (Vid below - check Flex's ecstatic diatribe at the end of it, dissing every single previous guest on his show)

Streams of Thought Vol 1 & 2 are a slap in the face to contemporary cheap rap music and a declaration of what good sounds like delivered with a righteous blast of incredible lyricism and anger.  Go listen (on all the usual streaming platforms).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:14:57 pm by Falling Down »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#42 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
February 04, 2019, 08:25:13 pm
Been listening to Mandolin Orange a lot in the last week.  Lovely country from North Carolina.

http://www.mandolinorange.com

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#43 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
February 04, 2019, 08:27:28 pm
New Beirut is sounding good:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#44 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
February 05, 2019, 08:56:47 am
Not spending as much time on UKB as I used to - sad times - as such, I missed this thread totally! As ever, my faves from 2018 are a little more mainstream than most I fear. Anyway, favourite albums from 2018;

Gregory Alan Isakov - Evening Machines - poss not as good as some of his earlier work but still a fantastic set of songs.

Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps - something strangely alluring and purte about her voice - great live performer.

Snail Mail - Lush - great pop album.

Murkage Dave - Murkage Dave Changed My Life - pretty sure they changed the title of this from saved to changed! Anyway, superb soulful album.

Enter Shikari - The Spark - some absolute belter songs on the album and cemented in my top few albums after seeing them live in Liverpool the other week. Very good!

Sneaky 2019 additions...

William Tyler - Goes West - Just lovely - he's playing Hebdon Bridge in April...

Rosie Carney - Bare - stunning vocals

JamieG

• forum hero
#45 Re: 2018 New (and some old) Music
February 06, 2019, 01:51:58 pm
I'm late to the list, but there are some excellent albums on here and a whole bunch I've never even heard of that I'll check out. Looking at what I listened to in 2018 I realised it was mostly older music, but I did find one that sort of fits the 'new (and some old) music' theme.

Jess Sah Bi & Peter One - Our Garden Needs It's Flowers - originally released in the 80s only in west africa it is a collection of folk songs (many sung in the local languages) and a really lovely chilled out album. It has been re-released by 'Awesome Tapes from Africa' which releases a very eclectic collection of old albums from across the continent (check out Professor Rhythm! for some old school disco).

I particularly like this song from the album.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal